spare tyre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spare tyre

I don't know if anybody else has had this problem, but i took the spare off the other day and noticed three areas where the wheel touches the carrier, had worn away. I don't know how long the spare has been on there, but it's never been on the road. Now iv'e put a new tyre on the spare and i don't want it to happen again, the new tyre is tight up against the frame like the old tyre and i wondered if i should put a couple of washers on the bolts to hold it off the frame a bit, any ideas?

try some foam or an old sponge to stop it getting worn
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Hi Marky, i don't know if that will do it, you could'nt push a screwdriver between the tyre and the frame, one dent in the tyre was a quarter of an inch deep!

Comment

is it rear mounted or underneath your surf
        (\__/)
        (")_(")

Comment

rear mounted.

Comment

cut up an old innatube to pad it out that should do it
            (\__/)
            (")_(")

Comment

Thanks, i'll give it a go. It seems a bit dodgy the way its mounted, mabye i should spin the wheel every now and then to spread the wear. right, where's that old wet suit.

Comment

Got the same issue. On mine though it isn't actually wear on the tyre itself, its just where the tire has deformed after years of being pressed against. My spare dates from 2000 or 1999 and had never been on the road either. Not worried really although I do take it off and turn it around now and again.

Comment

Hi Rob, i wonder if packing the wheel out with washers would be ok, it can't be doing the sidewall any good can it?

Comment

Originally posted by sad old git
                    Hi Rob, i wonder if packing the wheel out with washers would be ok, it can't be doing the sidewall any good can it?

Nah rotate all five every week
                    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                    My choice
                    Back off

Comment

Washers are a good idea. Or even a metal plate with holes for the studs. You're right, it's not doing the sidewall any good. I'd just make sure you leave plenty of thread for the nuts to go on to and check them for tightness every now and again. Don't want it falling off whilst on the motorway!

Comment

thanks rob, not sure about that Koi's advice though......i had a fish like that once......

Comment

I've got a worn bit on the steering wheel where my spare tyre touches it!
                          It's only a hobby!

Comment

get a 3rd gen (with air bags)

Comment

Working...
                            X