awwww man....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• awwww man....

so the fecking surf is making an odd whining noise when its running warm, I took it to my fave garage, he says the turbo is making the noise, ie its on its way out, he says it could last a while yet, when it starts making a tinkling noise its getting bad, which is not vey encouraging, its not making any smoke, its not using any more oil than usual, question I want to ask you guys, what happens when it goes? can I still drive it? how bad is it? how much will it cost if I get it done? man I'm depressed...

---

When it goes you will get blue smoke DONT DRIVE IT thats the oil in your sump going out the exhaust. If its like my Saab it wont take very long to completely fcuk the engine. Been there, done that in seconds.
    I cant help you as to price but will be a damn sight cheaper than an engine.
    Personaly I would get it done now rather than risk it.
    I've taken a vow of poverty To anoy me send money

Comment

Speak to stormforce or supersurf they might have one spare of a breaker, you will need the model number of your turbo it will be somthing like CT20, its worth updating your info so we know what truck you have.
      SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Got a spare one here came off a running truck, and I might even be in your neighbourhood next weekend.
        That'll fit!

Comment

turbo can fail in different ways,

If the oil seal fails, as mentioned you will get blue smoke from the exhaust. Initially this will happen when you let off the throttle. You can test this by getting someone to follow you, accelerate upto 30-40mph and take your foot off the throttle.

If the bearing fails (which sounds like your problem), you get a whine. Not to be confused with the normal sound of a spinning turbine.!

You can run with the whining turbo for quite a while, i have in other vehicles..BUT the bearing has most likely begun to fail due to poor oil supply or condition, or jus milage. It will reach a point where its so goosed the turbine shaft is making contact with the housing..this is going to lead to small bits of turbine being swallowed by the engine and if your lucky being spat out of the back..if your not, they'll get stuck in between your piston and cylinder bore and plough some nice grooves which isnt good..!!

Comment

I cant afford any more on this, so its going on ebay, spares or repair, any offers?

---

Comment

Originally posted by Gaspode View Post
              I cant afford any more on this, so its going on ebay, spares or repair, any offers?

---
              More details please

Comment

if its a 2.4 and just the turbo its easy and cheap. some nice person on here will sell you one for about £100 if they got one spare and it takes about an hour tops to swap over. if you've had enough of the surf, get this done then sell it coz in the end you'll lose less money selling an all up and running truck as opposed to one that needs anything - no matter how small - fixed.
                i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

---
                  £300 cash if it's a 3.0ltr
                  Brian

Comment

so the fecking surf is making an odd whining noise when its running warm, I took it to my fave garage, he says the turbo is making the noise, ie its on its way out, he says it could last a while yet, when it starts making a tinkling noise its getting bad, which is not vey encouraging, its not making any smoke, its not using any more oil than usual, question I want to ask you guys, what happens when it goes? can I still drive it? how bad is it? how much will it cost if I get it done? man I'm depressed...

---
                    Need a more detailed diagnosis before you go swapping turbos.
                    If the noise is only audible when the engine is warm then it could be something else.

You say your fave garage, is that because you use it a lot and they 'saw you coming'?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                      Need a more detailed diagnosis before you go swapping turbos.
                      If the noise is only audible when the engine is warm then it could be something else.

You say your fave garage, is that because you use it a lot and they 'saw you coming'?

Funny, very funny..

--

Comment

If its a 2.4 and it HAS got a bust turbo, its worth bugger all. If its a 3.0, its worth a little bit more than bugger all, but not much.

It makes MUCH more sense to fix it (yourself or a handy mate) and then flog it. Garages charge waaay too much to do anything these days, and on these old trucks it just isn't worth pouring in much money in garage bills.
                        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Funny, very funny..

--

What is???

Comment

Working...
                          X