Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spare Tyre Question

Hi all! Just a quickie...

If I get new tyres, do I have to change the spare tyre to the same make? Thinking of getting General Grabbers AT's but have a brand new road type tyre for a spare ATM. Will be the same size.

thx!

Originally posted by joecuba View Post
    Hi all! Just a quickie...

If I get new tyres, do I have to change the spare tyre to the same make? Thinking of getting General Grabbers AT's but have a brand new road type tyre for a spare ATM. Will be the same size.

thx!
    There's no law that says you have to change the spare to match the other tyres. There is a law that says the tyres on each axle should be the same size and type (not necessarily make).

So, not illegal to have, but illegal to use. And it'll look naff!
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

In other words, its ok.
      If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

As long as it's the same size .......... no 31's with 33's .......

and a 265 is close to a 31 so you could use it in a emergency but it's not a long term fix
        ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Don't think about General Grabbers ..........

BUY THEM !!!!!!!!

Had mine on for a while now and they're great - I bottled out on having the white letters showing cos I didn't think it'd look right with a silver truck ......

Good luck

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Aye - as long as the spare is the same diameter as the wheel it is replacing - you're ok.

It must also be of the same construction as it's axle partner - ie "radial" or "cross ply". I don't think the "cross ply" construction is used that much these days as the majority of modern tyres are "radial" - but could be wrong!

The width isn't a problem - that's how car makers can get away with using "space saver" spare wheels which are super slim but correct width.
            However if you do use a slimmer spare it must be fitted to the rear axle - so if you get a puncture on the front - you must replace that tyre with one of the rears, and then fit the spare to the rear in it's place.

The slimmer tyre will cause handleing concerns if fitted to the front. But the times i've seen cars driving at high speed (above recommended 60kmh) with a space saver spare fitted to the front is scarey!!!
            Last edited by jaky cakes; 13 March 2009, 10:00.
            Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
              There's no law that says you have to change the spare to match the other tyres. There is a law that says the tyres on each axle should be the same size and type (not necessarily make).

So, not illegal to have, but illegal to use. And it'll look naff!
              Albannach I have diffrent tyres on the front as to the back of the truck are you saying that's illegal to use but would pass an MOT ?

Cheers

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by madcampbell View Post
                Albannach I have diffrent tyres on the front as to the back of the truck are you saying that's illegal to use but would pass an MOT ?
                No, so long as the tyres on each axle are the same it's OK.

It is illegal to drive around with say a HT on the N/S/F and a MT on the O/S/F, even if they are the same diamiter. The construction is different, so they cannot be used on the same axle.

Comment

No, so long as the tyres on each axle are the same it's OK.

It is illegal to drive around with say a HT on the N/S/F and a MT on the O/S/F, even if they are the same diamiter. The construction is different, so they cannot be used on the same axle.
                  Thanks

Comment

When I say can't, I mean it's illegal to do it. It is, of course, possible and whilst illegal, it'll only cause you a problem if you get caught (for whatever reason).

Comment

When I say can't, I mean it's illegal to do it. It is, of course, possible and whilst illegal, it'll only cause you a problem if you get caught (for whatever reason).
                      Thanks I get that , when I read the other post I thought you were saying it was not legal to have different tyres on different axles All clear now , tar Mark

Comment

Working...
                      X