Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax (or money grabbing whatnots)

Hi guys,
    Me and my mate were having an argument about this Tax malarkey, firstly he maintains that the Government have postponed this rejigging of the new tax bands, I haven't heard anything about that, can anyone confirm this or deny it? I really don't want to buy a banded motor and then find the government are going to hammer anything over a thimble of a cc engine the following year.

This argument then went on to when the tax bands started he reckons the first few of the bands were 01 02 but they lasted for a whole year and then the 51 and 52s came in and cut it 6 monthly so the tax banding is slightly off-set. I thought an 04 reg and a 54 reg meant that the cars were registered in 2004 but if what he said is true then that wouldn't be the case.

Personally I just want to know what is the newest Surf I could buy that would still avoid me paying the money grabbing b... I mean the tax office whatever they fancy depending on how popular greenpeace is that year.
    I'm not lost, everywhere else has temporarily misplaced itself!

Interesting questions - have a look here first, for the 'official' view http://direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/index.htm

Their strategy and direction seem to change from week to week, but there is a long thread on here somewhere about this, and it's baffled me - there seems to be two schools of thought on this:

1. Any vehicle, registered before March 1st 2001 is not subject to banding.
    2. Vehicles built in the EU are only included.

What this means is that depending on who deals with you at DVLA, depends how much they think you need to pay. My Surf was imported in 2004, but built in 1993. I paid £185 in January for the tax.

Another person's Suft, imported in 2005, built in 1996 was charged under the banding system....makes no sense to me. Nina's truck, imported in 2002??? built in 1996 cost us £185. Go figure!!

As for when and how and what, have a look over the website, and you may do well to do the odd search on the subject and see what comes up.

I think they brought it out, not fully considered so had to amend as they went on...but cars with a 51 plate and later should all be subject to the new emissions grading system, provided they are EU supplied - rather than grey imports..
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Working...
    X