New 'ere!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 'ere!

Hi people, I'm new 'ere, I used to have a <cough> suzuki vitara and picked up the 4x4 bug through that. Now I got a family and a caravan I figure I can justify a Surf, so i expect that I'll be pestering you guys for all sorts of advice.

My first question is;

How are these Beasties with bio-diesel, I mean the re-constituted chip fat stuff not the nearly Derv stuff that the petrol stations sell?

My second question is;

How much do tyres cost, ball park figures will be fine, this was the main reason I got rid of the Vitara (that and that it was a spanish one so the parts were ###### rare!), so I'd like a little heads up on this cost?
    I'm not lost, everywhere else has temporarily misplaced itself!

Hi Madmacs and welcome to the forum (since everyone else seems to have ignored you).

As regards your questions, stick WVO into the search box, as there's loads of info on here about it (basically you should not have too many problems, other than possibly needing to replace the fuel pump seal and fuel filter). As regards tyres, it depends on what you want. Roughtrax - http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/ based in Keynsham, Bristol would be a good place to look for all Surf related spares.
    Mike G

Comment

Welcome to the forum

Have a look at this http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...=vegetable+oil
      and if you decide you want to go ahead with it have a look here http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/forum/index.php

Comment

Welcome to the asylum

You basically pay what you wanna pay for tyres, start at around £48 a corner upto £200 or more per corner. So no more than you're average car tyre anyway really.

And veg/bio they'll run on almost anything, check some of the links already posted.
        =========
        =SOLD UP!=
        =========

Comment

Welcome to the site!!!

Comment

I've just replaced my Kumo ATs for £90 a corner, they lasted five years and 50,000 miles (and a few Bio Hazard expeditions).

These vehicles were built for towing, my 2.4 regularly tows our 1ton trailer (with the truck fully loaded), my sisters 3.0 tows her 1650kg caravan without knowing it's back there.

Veg wise these trucks are old enougth that they don't tend to have any problems as long as it's good quality. Personally the highest concentrate I ever used was 50/50 but that was shop bought veg. Now the truck isn't my daily driver I use straight dino.
            Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Hi an welcome
              How can I be lost when I've got no where to go

Comment

Welcome to the asylum - just remember that some of the guys in white coats are inmates !

Dunno what your plans are for off roading but AT's are good for most people's off road needs and still perform well on road. BFG's are generally acknowledged as the best of the bunch with General Grabber and Kumho close behind.

As for towing - the Surf will cope with just about anything on the hook but if I'd advise sticking to a 3 litre (Cue abuse from 2.4 tuggers !). My van's 1500kg MTPLM but there are plenty of people towing heavier than that.

Good luck

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Hi and welcome.
                  I swear to drunk I`m not God.

Comment

Originally posted by Predictable Bob View Post

Welcome to the asylum - just remember that some of the guys in white coats are inmates !

Dunno what your plans are for off roading but AT's are good for most people's off road needs and still perform well on road. BFG's are generally acknowledged as the best of the bunch with General Grabber and Kumho close behind.

As for towing - the Surf will cope with just about anything on the hook but if I'd advise sticking to a 3 litre (Cue abuse from 2.4 tuggers !). My van's 1500kg MTPLM but there are plenty of people towing heavier than that.

Good luck

only amongst BFG owners

welcome guvnor...someone will be along shortly to insult squirrels and hairy people no doubt....

i ve just had a thought,we havent had one of these for a long time.....

what colour is it
                    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
                      only amongst BFG owners
                      Ah... jealousy is such an ugly trait...

My tyres double the value of my truck!
                      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                        Ah... jealousy is such an ugly trait...

My tyres double the value of my truck!
                        The value of mine depends on how much cash i have in my wallet at the time
                        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Thankyou for the welcomes

Hi guys,
                          It's nice to find such a helpful bunch of like-minded nutters like yourselves, after being scared off by the whole danger-delica thing i was starting to fear an import mud-plugger but a quick breeze through here has definately convinced me otherwise.
                          Take cares
                          Si
                          I'm not lost, everywhere else has temporarily misplaced itself!

Comment

They're cr@p mate.

On the plus side, they cheap and easy to fix cr@p
                            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Working...
                            X