Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locking wheel nut problem....

What a beautiful Saturday weather-wise.

Wife in the garden doing seed things..........check.

Daughters on computers doing teenage things......check.

Son on playstation.........check.

Dad can "play" with the Surf.

Re-routed the rear diff breather so it is nice and neat and checked the front diff breather....needs raising but is acceptable.

Thought I would rotate the tyres as the rears are wearing faster than the fronts (3.0TD of course).

One jack under each end, two axle stands under the frame on one side.

Remove 2 wheels....swap...lovely.

Other side of car, two jacks, two axle stands....

....manage to shear off the pins on the locking nut key ......

Sooooo....after searching on here......I see that I potentially have the 4-pin style that Roughtrax were selling a few years ago....that they stopped selling as the quality was poor.

All 4 wheels are on the Surf......but I now can't get them off.....does anyone have a "spare" old 4-pin locking wheel nut key that they might have got from roughtrax a few years ago......?

I know it is a bit of a long shot.....but you never know...if not...I will have to make something up to get them off....

.......what are your thoughts?

i can ask the mechanic in the morning how he got my old ones off with no key
    am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...over-2pc/path/

or

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/94826/...mover%204%20Pc

motor factors and halfords will all sell something that'll do it too,

kinda renders locking wheel nuts worthless now though as anyone can walk into a shop and buy a kit to take em off with
      =========
      =SOLD UP!=
      =========

Comment

Thanks for the links......

....I might also try http://www.astrali.co.uk/ as searching on here these are the guys who did the original 4-pin locking keys that Roughtrax sold.

I may well see if roughtrax have a contact........

....the nuts don't look very special....however, they are not very high and I don't know how much there would be to grip with those removers.

Comment

Originally posted by Ava_Banana View Post

....manage to shear off the pins on the locking nut key ......

Sooooo....after searching on here......I see that I potentially have the 4-pin style that Roughtrax were selling a few years ago....that they stopped selling as the quality was poor.

All 4 wheels are on the Surf......but I now can't get them off.....does anyone have a "spare" old 4-pin locking wheel nut key that they might have got from roughtrax a few years ago......?

I know it is a bit of a long shot.....but you never know...if not...I will have to make something up to get them off....

.......what are your thoughts?
          If you have an old(in case of damage) just undersize socket bang it on with a hammer so its a tight fit and you should be able to get it off. I have had to do this a few times in the past.
          Trust your Hound.

Comment

Originally posted by Ava_Banana View Post
            Thanks for the links......

....I might also try http://www.astrali.co.uk/ as searching on here these are the guys who did the original 4-pin locking keys that Roughtrax sold.

I may well see if roughtrax have a contact........

....the nuts don't look very special....however, they are not very high and I don't know how much there would be to grip with those removers.
            Get an old socket thst would be a tight fitt and a club hammer, smack the old socket over the duff nut until its tight then undo the sucker.
            SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Taliesins View Post
              If you have an old(in case of damage) just undersize socket bang it on with a hammer so its a tight fit and you should be able to get it off. I have had to do this a few times in the past.
              Originally posted by charvell View Post
              Get an old socket thst would be a tight fitt and a club hammer, smack the old socket over the duff nut until its tight then undo the sucker.
              Deja vu or what?
              'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Bumping the old thread... Just had my alloys refurbed, do you reckon it's worth buying locking nuts or are they so easily bypassed that the exercise would be a waste of money?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-HILUX-M...item43971573a1

These are for the Hilux, should fit the 185?
                Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

I got locking wheel nuts on Lucifer but they will need one hell of a jack though just the truck enough to get the wheels off.
                  The way people are these days i would fit the locking wheel nuts
                  https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by J i m s t e r View Post
                    Bumping the old thread... Just had my alloys refurbed, do you reckon it's worth buying locking nuts or are they so easily bypassed that the exercise would be a waste of money?
                    There is no such thing as absolute security. There is only making your stuff a less easy target than someone else's. So definitely worth having locking wheel nuts IMO. If someone really wants the wheels they will take them, but why make it that bit easier for a random opportunist...?

Comment

If somebody wants your wheels and you've got locking wheel nuts on then they'll come back properly prepared and probably have jacks too

If there's no locking wheel nuts then all they need is a wheel wrench - nuts off, bloke on each corner and bounce the truck - wheels pop off and trucks smashed into the tarmac with loads of damage

If I was going to lose my wheels I know which I'd prefer !

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Working...
                      X