newbie alert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbie alert

so yeah, i came across this site when i was poking around to help with the ongoing battle that was do i buy a jeep cherokee or a hilux surf.
    firstly i wanna say thanks to all the dudes who've posted **** that's helped me out with questions and all i was having about the surf... i am 99% convonced that i will go for a '92 surf that is going for £3490. new head, all genuine toyota parts, 70K miles warranted milage, one owner each side of the water, as close to perfect condition you can get for a 12 yeah old car....
    the 1% doubt remaining in my mind is the fact that so far i haven't got a quote lower than £2330 fully comp insurance. i'm gussing this is cuz i live in london (N6), 23 and only got 1 years no claims. i'm waiting for a few more quotes to come back which i hope will at least get it to under 2 grand. if i someone will quote me say £1800 i'll take it.

here's the pros and cons of sirf vs cherokee that i've come up with, i know y'all will be a little biast, but please feel free to add to either to help me out.

surf:
    + toyota's reputation for being reliable as f***
    masses of load space
    looks tough as satan
    nice drive
    jap electric technology so even though it's a '92 it has the tech of a euro '95+ motor

- based on pick up so limited back passenger space
    nearly all automatic (i could deal, but i've only ever driven stick)

cherokee:
    + nice shape
    built as all rounder so more comfy road drive (i believe?)
    the missus likes em as she's american so will be happy
    insurance is a G less.

- practically got the boot space of a hatch back. especially with that rear wheel
    harder to get parts for

like i say, i'm practically taken by the surf, but the insurance thing is worrying.

Register It In The Isle Of Man And Tax It Here Too And Insure It Over Here As Well Just Give A M8es Address Or A Po Box Number And Quote That You Travel Alot To England. Just A Thought ......consider It But Get The Surf Bought Regardless...cherokees Are Reliable But Expensive To Run M8 Buy Fast Car If You Want Speed Buy A Surf If You Want Fun
    ITS GOOD BUT ITS NOT RIGHT ?

Comment

Cherokees Suck The Fuel Which Is Cool In America Coz The Fuel Costs Buttons So Save Ya Self A Few Quid To Put Towards The Insurance Buy A Surf Diesel Coz They Are As Tough As Satan Lol
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by troyxharder
        so yeah, i came across this site when i was poking around to help with the ongoing battle that was do i buy a jeep cherokee or a hilux surf.
        firstly i wanna say thanks to all the dudes who've posted **** that's helped me out with questions and all i was having about the surf... i am 99% convonced that i will go for a '92 surf that is going for £3490. new head, all genuine toyota parts, 70K miles warranted milage, one owner each side of the water, as close to perfect condition you can get for a 12 yeah old car....
        the 1% doubt remaining in my mind is the fact that so far i haven't got a quote lower than £2330 fully comp insurance. i'm gussing this is cuz i live in london (N6), 23 and only got 1 years no claims. i'm waiting for a few more quotes to come back which i hope will at least get it to under 2 grand. if i someone will quote me say £1800 i'll take it.

here's the pros and cons of sirf vs cherokee that i've come up with, i know y'all will be a little biast, but please feel free to add to either to help me out.

surf:
        + toyota's reputation for being reliable as f***
        Yep
        masses of load space
        Yep
        looks tough as satan
        It is
        nice drive
        Fantastic
        jap electric technology so even though it's a '92 it has the tech of a euro '95+ motor
        and some

- based on pick up so limited back passenger space
        nearly all automatic (i could deal, but i've only ever driven stick)
        not on the 2.4 loads of manuals, 3.0 are a little rare on the manuals but they are out there

cherokee:
        + nice shape
        Personal preference, but not mine
        built as all rounder so more comfy road drive (i believe?)
        oh no, drive the surf you'll see and this isn't a biased opinion I just got rid of my car full recaro, lotus sports suspension the lot, for a 4runner its one of the most comfortable motors I have driven
        the missus likes em as she's american so will be happy
        now thats biased
        insurance is a G less.
        have a look at the FAQ thread on insurance loads of companies listed in there to try

- practically got the boot space of a hatch back. especially with that rear wheel
        harder to get parts for

like i say, i'm practically taken by the surf, but the insurance thing is worrying.
        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
        My choice
        Back off

Comment

Get It Bought And Buy The Mrs An Old Rover Sd1 V8. She Likes The Exhaust Note You Like The Surf By The Sounds Of Things Or Buy The Surf And Take It To La Supertrux In Daventry And Get The Chevy Small Block 400 Bhp 5.4 Litre Innit Then You Are Both Happy Lol
          Attached Files

Comment

Insurance

Hi,

I have just bought a 95 3ltr surf and had the same problem. Insurance companies were quoting through the roof (£1600) + . Some-one has posted a really usefull list of friendly insurance companies on the FAQ site. Theres about 20. al alot checper than the mainstream insurance comps.

I rang around a lot of them and got it down to £618 FC with 2yrs no claims. Lifesure 0870 9090040.. good luck

Comment

Sounds Like You Lot Are Gettin Seriously Blitzed On Insurance......... Pitch A Tent In The Isle Of Man And Get Ya Certificate Sent There Lol Pitch It In My Back Garden Lol...must Admitt I Couldnt Survive With Them Premiums Id Be Drivin A Nissan Micra Full Time....still Dont Let The B******* Get Ya Down Gents

Comment

Originally posted by fester
                Sounds Like You Lot Are Gettin Seriously Blitzed On Insurance......... Pitch A Tent In The Isle Of Man And Get Ya Certificate Sent There Lol Pitch It In My Back Garden Lol...must Admitt I Couldnt Survive With Them Premiums Id Be Drivin A Nissan Micra Full Time....still Dont Let The B******* Get Ya Down Gents
                not just insurance fester, we get blitzed on everything, then they stick vat on top
                [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
                [size=5][/size]
                [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Originally posted by GARP
                  Hi,

I have just bought a 95 3ltr surf and had the same problem. Insurance companies were quoting through the roof (£1600) + . Some-one has posted a really usefull list of friendly insurance companies on the FAQ site. Theres about 20. al alot checper than the mainstream insurance comps.

I rang around a lot of them and got it down to £618 FC with 2yrs no claims. Lifesure 0870 9090040.. good luck

i rang about 20 insurance company,s and got quotes as much as £1000 and i have 10 years no claims 32 years old no convictions etc. my last point of call was a mainstream company "budget" just rang for the laugh really could,nt beleave it got the best price out of all of them £383
                  CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

Having owned both a Surf and a Cherokee, there is absolutely no difference in the handling between the two - actually the suspension on the Surf is a little more forgiving.

However the downside for the Cherokee is that it is fragile if you go for a 4 Litre - the rear axle and transmission can't handle the power. If you go for a 2.5 then it's gutless in the extreme.

The upside for the Cherokee is that absolutely GORGEOUS engine. The fuel economy absolutely sucks, however I did have the cherokee in the middle east with fuel at 60p a gallon.

Go for the Surf if you can get a decent insurance quote. However I can't see that a Cherokee would be any cheaper.

Cheers

Comment

Forget the Jeep

I had a Jeep..... A 2.5td (V reg), owned it seven months, in the garage eight times, I am looking for a Surf now, I have seen the light......

Comment

Try Tesco for insurance. I was quoted almost £600 for my 93 3.0TD by the mainstream (those who would take grey imports at all) but Tesco came in at £388 fully comp, 5 years NCD, including level 4 Green Flag cover.

That's cheaper than my Volvo 940 which was insured with Zurich where my wife had 40% staff discount on top of normal NCD. Give them a call or try online at:- www.tescofinance.com/personal/finance

Mike G
                        Mike G

Comment

good news all round

yo thanks to everyone who replied with useful information, i have found a manual surf that i'm going to look at tomorrow and after shopping around i eventually remembered that a friend of mine worked for a brokers, and he got me TPFT for £1400. that's almost a G cheaper than i got anywhere else.

i'm with tesco now for a peugeot 405 1.9GLD; i'm paying about £1100 JUST THIRD PARTY for that, so i wasn't surprised when they came back just shy of 3K for the surf.
                          i'm gonna stick aroud on the board cuz it's a neat little community, and hopefully in a few days i'll be able to post up some pics of my nice new motor.

Comment

When you get it remember the golden rule !!

Enjoy

Trev
                            Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev
                              When you get it remember the golden rule !!

Enjoy

Trev

And the other ones......more toys....and work on getting it dirty
                              Gaz

Comment

Working...
                              X