A Question About Tracking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Question About Tracking

I've been to a local garage and they're quite happy to sort my tracking (unlike Quickfit) but they have found that the adjuster tubes are seized solid. They've tried heating them, almost to the point where they think they might bend..... If I get new ones they said they'll get them off (somehow). Should I just get new adjusters and pay for their time to fit them or would I be better buying the adjusters and the track rod ends and save the time? Answers on a postcard to.......

Originally posted by Doc B View Post
    I've been to a local garage and they're quite happy to sort my tracking (unlike Quickfit) but they have found that the adjuster tubes are seized solid. They've tried heating them, almost to the point where they think they might bend..... If I get new ones they said they'll get them off (somehow). Should I just get new adjusters and pay for their time to fit them or would I be better buying the adjusters and the track rod ends and save the time? Answers on a postcard to.......

Replace it all, it will be better in the long run.

From experience buy from toyota or roughtrax as they will last better.
    ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

It would probably be better in the long run to buy the tre's as well, cos even if they get the adjusters off the tre threads will almost certainly be damaged
      Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Thanks guys. I kind of thought that buying all the bits and replacing them would both easier and better. Are the track rod ends easy to remove? Do they require any special tools or are they straight forward? I'm quite happy to remove and refit bits myself it it's straight forward. Obviously, the tracking needs to be done by a professional..... (ie NOT Kwikfit)

Comment

Originally posted by Doc B View Post
          Thanks guys. I kind of thought that buying all the bits and replacing them would both easier and better. Are the track rod ends easy to remove? Do they require any special tools or are they straight forward? I'm quite happy to remove and refit bits myself it it's straight forward. Obviously, the tracking needs to be done by a professional..... (ie NOT Kwikfit)

A good ball joint splitter is a must
          ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

If you do it yourself you will need to measure carefully the length of the old tre's and adjuster tube so that you can get an approximate fit for the tracking, otherwise you could have problems driving it to the garage. Also, when fitting the tre's into the adjuster tube, give them a liberal dose of coppaslip (?) or similar to stop them seizing up for the next time you need to adjust / replace.
            Mike G

Comment

Working...
            X