Fraudsters.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fraudsters.....

I love the internet, I have practically halved my expenditure by buying everything off the net but it is SOOOO dangerous if you do not know what you are doing.

I am selling the misses car on eBay, wanted £7895 for it, I get a message on eBay from someone who wants to know what MPG it does, so I look it up on the net and email them back. They then offer me £7700 for it which I accept. Then they ask when they can collect the car, I tell them that the weekend would be fine. They then offer to pay a £250 retainer by paypal so that I don't sell the car to anyone else. I give them my paypal address and wait for the money to turn up. It never does. I then check my email and in the spam folder is an email from a hotmail address pretending to be paypal telling me I have been paid £250. In the email is a link to click on and type in my username and password to "claim" my money. When the page opens up it looks exactly like paypal.
    Luckily I am quite clued up when it comes to these things and I new it was a scam, the "S" was missing in the http:// line at the top of the page and there was no padlock on the page meaning it was not secure. The idea being I would put my username and password in and the scammer could then empty my bank accounts. They then started emailing me to tell me that the money was unclaimed and that I needed to check my email accounts for an email from paypal!!!!
    I sent an appropriate message back to them and reported them to the authorities who have since confirmed they are know fraudsters.

NOT the end of the story. I am now selling my car on ebay, I get a message from someone who clearly doesn't speak English as a first language, asking me if they can by my car for the full asking price (without having even seen it). They will pay me a £1000 upfront as a deposit via paypal. Yeah right. Then I start getting phone calls (I just had one while typing this!!) from someone claiming to be an English Doctor. I noticed that the number they are calling from is in Russia so I asked him where he was, he said "somewhere near Germany" I said "you are in Russia, I can tell by the number" he says "oh yes I forgot I am in Russia". I then said "What is you name again?" Dumbass forgot who he was pretending to be!!!!! He couldn't remember what his false name was!!!!
    The guy has a Nigerian accent, calling from Russia, doesn't know what his name is, wanting to pay me £1000 for a car he has never seen. He said he lives in London, I asked him where and he couldn't remember that either!!! Must think I was born yesterday..............

You've grown well for a one day old

Well done for spotting Jack Straw's mate
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

I wish I had got a tape recording of this guy trying really hard to sound English - really, really bad attempt!!

Comment

hehe the joys of the internet ay...
        glad u did not fall for it tho mate because there are many people who do....
        One day at the time I guess..

Comment

well spotted mate! ill pass that on to mates & co!

it wasnt this guy by any chance was it??

Comment

There are loads of these scams floating around at the moment.
            It is really shocking how many people DO fall for these, I guess it is in our nature to be trusting until someone proves otherwise.

The really popular one is the "We have $20,000,000,000 that needs to go in a bank account, send us a $2000 admin fee and we will pay it in".
            I read a story on the net about a woman in the states that fell for it, she was a university graduate so wasn't stupid but was blinded by money. She ended up re-mortgaging her house over it to pay all of the fees.

There was another bloke who flew from the states to Europe to meet the guy to get his money!!

One that I didn't know about that is starting to become popular is a stolen credit card scam. They make friends with women via dating sites, chat to them for months and then tell them that they can't get good delivered to Nigera from shops in the states. The Scammer buys goods on the internet using stolen credit cards and has them addressed to the victims house, who then dutifully forwards it to their "friend" in Nigeria. Eventually when the cards register as stolen the shops go to the victims house to get the goods back - which are no longer there.

Found a really good website http://www.419eater.com/html/letters.htm
            These are people who reply to the scammers and string them along for months making them do ridiculous things, then putting the results on this site. Some of them are REALLY funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Nellington View Post
              It is really shocking how many people DO fall for these, I guess it is in our nature to be trusting until someone proves otherwise.
              Greed is the facet these scams work upon, not trust. It just goes to show how deep greed goes, not trust.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                Greed is the facet these scams work upon, not trust. It just goes to show how deep greed goes, not trust.
                Roger that, very good point. When you think about it, these people that pay tens of thousands of dollars to be paid millions of someone elses money are quite happy to be possibly ripping someone else off to get millions that don't belong to them. No such thing as a free lunch (except when I go round to see my old dears - then I get free lunch).

Comment

Working...
                X