The deed is done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The deed is done

Growler is now officially SORN'd and the front end overhaul begins this weekend.

Whilst the front end is apart I will also be carrying out an overhaul on the front brakes and replacing the flexi hoses with new braided one's, servicing the front callipers and replacing the brake fluid. So any useful tips in this area would be appreciated, although I have taken on the services of a mobile mechanic to assist with this work as I want to be certain it is done correctly. Hopefully this will keep a certain Scottish member happy

Any other "helpfull" hints or tips with regards to replacing front bearings and bushes are most welcome. Thankfully the diff and drive shaft should be a straight swap thanks to Chillitt
    Last edited by Growler; 18 March 2009, 01:19.

Do check the cv joints before you fit em! I have a history of not noticing stuff like that.. If you want to keep the other one too, I don't need it back
    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt View Post
      Do check the cv joints before you fit em! I have a history of not noticing stuff like that.. If you want to keep the other one too, I don't need it back
      OK Charlie will do, first job will be to get everything cleaned up prior to stripping so will check CV's at same time.

As for the 2nd drive shaft I'll put it in storage mate, should you ever need it you know where it is.

Comment

Yeah, it was a bit grubby....
        it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Had a very busy and productive day today. Finally got started on the overhaul today. With the help of Brummie we managed to get the diff out along with stripping, cleaning and rebuilding the front hubs, wheels bearings and drive shafts. By the end of the day it is still sitting on the axle stands waiting for the replacement diff to go back in tomorrow morning.

Still a bit missing

Was a long day and sun had set by time i got everything tidied up and ready for tomorrow. Next up is to get the diff back in and clean and check both front calipers before replacing the flexi lines and replacing all the fluid with nice fresh stuff.

Comment

Nice work Andy - wish I could help, but have a kitchen to rebuild!

Good to see you took the wheels off afterall - may well have stopped about a grand going into the swear box

Hope it all goes well - and get a blow torch, you may need it to free the hubs...if you want them off too..
            Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer View Post
              Nice work Andy - wish I could help, but have a kitchen to rebuild! No Worries Andy, Ian (aka Brummie) has been round both days to try and keep me sane

Good to see you took the wheels off afterall - may well have stopped about a grand going into the swear box Made things easier with more room to move around in, but still managed to fil the swear box Them diffs are heavy when you lying on your back

Hope it all goes well - and get a blow torch, you may need it to free the hubs...if you want them off too..Leaving the hubs alone for now as all seems OK in that department, thank god
              Did you manage to have a look for those ball joints you mentioned as it looks like the lower NS gaiter has perished as there is grease oozing out. ?

Comment

Am now totally knackered after today's attempt to get the diff back into place. Never knew they could be such a stubborn lump of dead weight until we tried lifting it back into place.

Didn't help when i noticed we had strained an inner CV boot and ended up taking the drive shaft back out and replacing it. Got everything in place and found the switch/sensor on the replacement diff had a different connector to the one i took out. so that got swapped out for my original at last minute.

At the end of the day it is now back on all four wheels and waiting for test drive tomorrow, even managed to get the front extended diff breather installed and pipped up.

Depending on my state of health in morning ( have set my sciatica off again) I plan to get the rear diff breather in and replace the ARB bracket that has snapped.

Biggest let down so far is the mechanic who was supposed to be doing the brake work isn't doing it now, so need to find someone else for this just another delay in getting it sorted that I didn't want
                Last edited by Growler; 18 March 2009, 01:16.

Comment

Looks good ......
                  ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Originally posted by Growler View Post
                    Did you manage to have a look for those ball joints you mentioned as it looks like the lower NS gaiter has perished as there is grease oozing out. ?
                    I'll be in Leamington today, so will have a look for them..
                    Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

I will Pm you the number of my mate who might be able to help you with the brakes he can come out to your house do it on your drive.

Comment

Originally posted by BioHazard View Post
                        Looks good ......
                        Cheers Ian, Quick question on the diff breathers which side of the engine bay did you bring the front breather up ? Currently got it following the vacuum hoses from the ADD which brings it up the OS inner wheel well, was thinking NS would be better as can come up alongside snorkel that way.

Originally posted by MudSurfer View Post
                        I'll be in Leamington today, so will have a look for them..
                        Cheers Andy, let me know if you do find them otherwise it will be another call to Roughtrax

Originally posted by hiroler View Post
                        I will Pm you the number of my mate who might be able to help you with the brakes he can come out to your house do it on your drive.
                        Cheers Ross much appreciated, will call him sometime today

One thing I could do with someone answering is what are the torque settings for the Diff to Drive shaft flanges bolts ?

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt View Post
                          Yeah, it was a bit grubby....
                          You wouldn't recognise it now Charlie, it had a spring clean before being fitted and will be getting an underseal at end of the job.

Comment

I took mine up the o/s for the front and the n/s for the rear
                            ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

both my breathers come up by the ADD on the drivers side found it easier to route them that way! they are finnished off in a little alloy housing with filters attached got it off ebay nice little bit of bling!

Comment

Working...
                              X