European Honeymoon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• European Honeymoon

This may not be a normal topic for this forum, but I and the wife will be coming to Europe from Japan for our honeymoon. We will be in Edinburgh, London, and Dublin from March 17-26th. Just wanting to know if there was anything that we needed to do while in these places or if anything special was happening during this time.

well...you'll miss metallica at the O2 on the 28th mo fo!!! metal up your ass!!!!!!!!!!
    i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

More interested in culture stuff, you know the stuff you can't see in the US or Japan.

Comment

Originally posted by Dust View Post
        This may not be a normal topic for this forum, but I and the wife will be coming to Europe from Japan for our honeymoon. We will be in Edinburgh, London, and Dublin from March 17-26th. Just wanting to know if there was anything that we needed to do while in these places or if anything special was happening during this time.
        Edinburgh is the best city in the world!!! Loads to see, have a look around the main city, the gardens, castle, older town areas, Pentland Hills, if you can while you are there go to Lindisfarne Island - then go to Dublin, have a good walk around the city, visit the castle, do the Guinness tour, get on one of those open topped bus tours and go to a few bars and listen to the local music and have fun!

London, as a tourist is great, go on the London eye, look at some museums, art galleries - the Tate and Tate modern, look up the cities on berlitz's website or similar, but read what other people who visited have done/seen rather than the normal blurb!

Just enjoy yourselves and have a laugh, take loads of photos and just have a great time, and you never know, you may bump into one of us lot while you're here!!

And - congratulations on your wedding!!
        Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Congratulations! And Mudsurfer has some good advice there. As he says, Edinburgh is easily the best city in the world, and March is a great time to see it - not too cold and not too tourist-swamped. Lindisfarne is probably a whole day trip from the city with a car, but well worth it if you can afford the time. There's also a couple of heavily fortified islands in the Forth (the river inlet Edinburgh is on), which were turned into forts during the 2nd world war - easy to get to and an interesting day out. Make sure you have a walk up Carlton Hill too. It's nearly always fairly empty, but has some of the best views of the city centre, and is only 20 mins from Princes Street (the main street).

Don't know much about Dublin, never actually been despite living near Belfast now, but I hear the Guinness factory is well worth a visit and tour.

London, what he said - the galleries are the most famous and well worth seeing. It's got more people than Switzerland, so if you want to catch a gig or certain type of event, there will always be something happening.

By the way, will it be immediately after you're married? If so you'll be wrecked - don't plan on doing too much! (and allow for a couple of latish mornings...)
          Andy
          http://www.surfingafrica.net

Comment

Originally posted by adpsimpson View Post
            Congratulations! And Mudsurfer has some good advice there. As he says, Edinburgh is easily the best city in the world, and March is a great time to see it - not too cold and not too tourist-swamped. Lindisfarne is probably a whole day trip from the city with a car, but well worth it if you can afford the time. There's also a couple of heavily fortified islands in the Forth (the river inlet Edinburgh is on), which were turned into forts during the 2nd world war - easy to get to and an interesting day out. Make sure you have a walk up Carlton Hill too. It's nearly always fairly empty, but has some of the best views of the city centre, and is only 20 mins from Princes Street (the main street).

Don't know much about Dublin, never actually been despite living near Belfast now, but I hear the Guinness factory is well worth a visit and tour.

London, what he said - the galleries are the most famous and well worth seeing. It's got more people than Switzerland, so if you want to catch a gig or certain type of event, there will always be something happening.

By the way, will it be immediately after you're married? If so you'll be wrecked - don't plan on doing too much! (and allow for a couple of latish mornings...)

Tut tut.....

but aint it the way.I would suggest looking round trinit college in dublin...amazing, and if memeory serves me right, you can visit the old lunatic asylum.The guinness factory et al.The enormous phoenix park with its wild deer is great.
            Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
              Tut tut.....

but aint it the way.I would suggest looking round trinit college in dublin...amazing, and if memeory serves me right, you can visit the old lunatic asylum.The guinness factory et al.The enormous phoenix park with its wild deer is great.
              What or where is trinit college? Is it something from Tron?

But yeah - great city, wonderful people - Dakota bar is amazing, and if you have time and can get in, go to Bang! restaurant - it's fantastic, normal food!

Dublin and Edinburgh are two of my favourite places of all time - if you are travelling all over Europe, have a look at Prague and Warsaw too - Budapest, lots of these 'Eastern' European cities are amazing!
              Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer View Post
                What or where is trinit college? Is it something from Tron?

But yeah - great city, wonderful people - Dakota bar is amazing, and if you have time and can get in, go to Bang! restaurant - it's fantastic, normal food!

Dublin and Edinburgh are two of my favourite places of all time - if you are travelling all over Europe, have a look at Prague and Warsaw too - Budapest, lots of these 'Eastern' European cities are amazing!
                "y" (pedant)
                Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Edinburgh - The Malt Shovel, up the hill from Waverley Station on the LHS. Excellent pub (They keep the lager at the back of the bar away from the proper beer) and the quality of the ale is superb

Dublin - Don't miss the Jamesons Whiskey Tourist Trap - in March you stand a good chance of being selected to do a tasting !

London - the Eye is a must, if you get there first thing in the morning you won't have to queue. You could get your tickets in advance but if the weather's bad then you won't see much. Covent Garden is good for a mooch about during the day and Theaterland in the evening's really buzzing

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
                    Tut tut.....

you can visit the old lunatic asylum.
                    Now why would they want to visit the Palace of Westminster?
                    Mike G

Comment

head out of london to Slough, then bracknell, swindon... always overlooked by tourists!

you can almost see windsor castle from slough!... legoland's not far from bracknell and of course the "magic" roundabout in swindon!!

seriously though, you can drive anywhere in britain in just a few hours... (or get a train)... i've been here 32 years and still haven't seen everything!
                      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Avebury or Stone henge both are about a 3 hour drive from london with salisbury cathedral also near...... Also the british muesum is good
                        ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Stay away from Stonehenge - if the winds in the wrong direction all you can smell is the Yeti !!!!!

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Originally posted by Predictable Bob View Post

Stay away from Stonehenge - if the winds in the wrong direction all you can smell is the Yeti !!!!!

Beat me to it
                            Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Working...
                            X