new here but need some advice etc...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new here but need some advice etc...

hi folks,i went out today to buy a mercedes and came across a 2.4 surf.
    ok so why the hell did the merc fall by the way side and now i want this thing instead?.
    here we go with the real questions...(honest answers please).
    how reliable are the 2.4 diesel surfs?
    how much should i be paying for a 93 model?
    and why do i want i want it soooooo much?.

welcome to the forum. 1993 k reg surf anything from £4500 to £6000 depending where you are theres some for sale on here.
    some 2.4 suffer from a head problem as they where badly designed as the waterways couldnt cope. ive had mine over a year now & its great a majority have not suffered any problems.
    why buy one? BECAUSE the surf is a good looking vehicle, they snap knicker elastic at 50 yards, they are brilliant offroad and finally BECAUSE WE SAID SO.
    hope this helps besides mercs are common.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

If you can stretch to it grab the 3.0 Litre then you are bound not to get the head problem.

Yep, I am one VERY happy 3 Litre surfer.

Trev
      Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

well

i only came across this one by chance in a dealers and he only has the 2.4,but if you lot say take the chance i will...
        i have until the bloke opens in the morning to talk myself into...or...out of it.
        YOU can help me out here..................go on talk me into it so i can blame you when the wife asks where her car is.

Comment

its got lots of toys. you can get lots of shopping in the back. you can explore places you never knew existed. you'll have lots of new mates. you can have great days out offroading with your surf buddies. parts are cheap your engine is the LN130 check these prices on here www.milnerofffroad.com
          you can get spares and technical info all day long.
          SO GO FOR IT .
          (\__/)
          (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by Brooke
            i only came across this one by chance in a dealers and he only has the 2.4,but if you lot say take the chance i will...
            i have until the bloke opens in the morning to talk myself into...or...out of it.
            YOU can help me out here..................go on talk me into it so i can blame you when the wife asks where her car is.
            Hmmmmmmm, that's me off her xmas card list then

Well look on a surf this way, they are great fun to drive, the view from the driver's seat is FAR better & safer than a normal car, and look at the room you get in the back

And then there is the fun of driving off road.

Trev

Comment

and they drive like a car not a van
              they dont fall over like mibsutishis & the surfs been on HOLLYOAKS so it must be good
              Attached Files
              Last edited by marky; 3 May 2004, 20:05.
              (\__/)
              (")_(")

Comment

Ok, there was a problem on a batch of heads on the 2.4, as said there was a design fault on the water ways, which leads to the heads cracking. If you can find a 2.4 with a new head genuine head (NOT stitched/recon/repaired) then go for it, or if the dealer will guarantee the head for a year then go for it. A new head if done yourself will set you back about £850 or around £1500 at a garage give or take a £100. So if you can find one within your budget then set the rest aside just in case. There is no sure fire way of telling if it has a dodgy head.
                For more peace of mind the 3.0 has no known problems to date so should afford you peace of mind.
                Which ever one you decide they are both as capable as each other, mpg is around the same for both around town, the 3.0 may offer slightly better mpg at 70+ speeds, bigger engine and all that.
                Both will pull your house down, so towing is no problem, insurance spare etc are more readily available now.
                With the help and advice on here your sailing.
                The decision is yours.
                Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                My choice
                Back off

Comment

thanks

i cant find a quote on the net as yet for insurance,im er.... ah ......40 and if its resonable i will buy it tomorrow.......
                  what do you lot pay on insurance?...

Comment

i cant find a quote on the net as yet for insurance,im er.... ah ......40 and if its resonable i will buy it tomorrow.......
                    Well I'm 45 and mine is £500 fully comp -with Tesco

Trev

Comment

Theres a list somewhere of insurance companies we use. you will find its very competative as the surf is an import.
                      fully comp & business use TESCO £600 including recovery & all the trimmings
                      normally £400 but like i said business use.
                      (\__/)
                      (")_(")

Comment

sounds ok to me as i was paying nearly 300 for my (dont laugh) suzuki swift.
                        i use the swift for work but will take the surf in if i get it,just cant think where i will park it..

Comment

sounds ok to me as i was paying nearly 300 for my (dont laugh) suzuki swift.
                          i use the swift for work but will take the surf in if i get it,just cant think where i will park it..
                          I gained on the insurance when I changed, but I changed from a Honda Prelude !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't worry about parking, it's surprisingly easy

Trev

Comment

Quotes can range from 3/400 pounds and upwards. I'm 33 and pay just over 600 quid full comp (Adrian Flux Insurance). If you use the search facility on the menu you will find a topic covering this subject with various insurance companies detailed.

I myself have only had the BEAST for 1 month and 1 day now and still get excited over it, so much so that I reckon I have covered over 1000 miles so far (got that juice it must have gone through)...and yes it has been slight off road and yes it has had a horse trailer on the back (two large horses)...both no problems. One word of advice...watch your pocket as you'll want more toys and ...toys...and toys and so on..
                            Gaz

Comment

thanks for answering so quickly.....had a word with the wife and decided to go for it,will let you know tomorrow if i get it or not...

Comment

Working...
                              X