No announcement yet.

It's a sad day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firstly my apologies for keeping you waiting for the update but i've been working nights since the original post, but got home early today.

OK I've got to hold my hands up and admit to making a rash decision on the spur of the moment during, what was for me, a very bad day and I just couldn't bear the thought of having to lay out a fair bit of cash I didn't have spare.

I had only had time for a brief check underneath the front end, which was making some very nasty clunks and similar noises from diff and what sounded like both drive shafts, and assumed the worst, especially as it would not select 4 wheel drive at the time.

Following a more detailed inspection in proper daylight today, with the truck up on axle stands. It would appear the main problem is within the diff itself and the OS drive shaft. There is around a good half inch play in the shaft at the diff end, and about half as much at the wheel. This leads me to think that I need to replace the wheel bearings/bronze bushes at the same time. The diff also has a marked clicking sound at a certain point in it's rotation so I believe a tooth may be chipped possibly caused by the bearing collapsing.

Reason for non selection of 4 wheel drive seems to be bad connection somewhere in the diff region of the electrics/plumbing as after reseating them all I can now select everything just fine, so hopefully this will just need further cleaning and checking to sort out fully.

With all the offers of help and assistance i have been given from various forum members, there is just no way i could let the truck go without having a good go at sorting it out first. Some off you may have let yourselves in for more than you think My thanks in advance for this

As the tax is due to run out at the end of the month, followed shortly after by both its MOT and insurance, I have decided I am going to SORN it for a month or two to give me time to pull it apart and sort it out properly.

Also whilst it is off the road i will be carrying out a list of other jobs that I was planning to complete during the spring anyway such as timing belt change, coolant flush and change, brake overhaul and fluid replacement, just to start.

So first off I am looking for a replacement diff and drive shaft to get me started and i'll be ordering the wheel bearings and stuff from either milners or roughtrax shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by Growler View Post

So first off I am looking for a replacement diff and drive shaft to get me started and i'll be ordering the wheel bearings and stuff from either milners or roughtrax shortly.
      Got them. You can have em. Depending on your diff code.
      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt View Post
        Got them. You can have em. Depending on your diff code.
        Diff code is G294 from what I can make out, also is diff from 3 litre ?

Comment

Diff code is G294 from what I can make out, also is diff from 3 litre ?
          Codes the same, but 2.4 dunno it that makes any difference though!
          it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

If you can wait a week Andy, I'll pick it up from Charlie and bring it up to you..
            Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

As the tax is due to run out at the end of the month, followed shortly after by both its MOT and insurance, I have decided I am going to SORN it for a month or two to give me time to pull it apart and sort it out properly.
              On the SORN point, can you SORN a vehicle for a short time? I thought it was either 6 or 12 months at a time.
              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                On the SORN point, can you SORN a vehicle for a short time? I thought it was either 6 or 12 months at a time.
                You can tax it at any time after you have declared SORN. It's merely to notify DVLA that you aren't running around without road tax.

Comment

£387.63..my final offer.....
                  Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                    You can tax it at any time after you have declared SORN. It's merely to notify DVLA that you aren't running around without road tax.
                    Or are skint?
                    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer View Post
                      If you can wait a week Andy, I'll pick it up from Charlie and bring it up to you..
                      Time is not an issue here Andy so cheers for the offer and yes please. Truck is still in one piece at the moment, but not for much longer.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
                        £387.63..my final offer.....
                        Sorry Gra but can't accept it. Unless that is your are offering to pay for the parts ??

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt View Post
                          Codes the same, but 2.4 dunno it that makes any difference though!
                          Cheers Charlie, will have to ask the Guru's on here regarding compatibility, although BioHazard has already confirmed on the drive shaft so I could be in luck here.

Let me know how much and how to get payment to you if all is ok with parts.

Comment

Sorry Gra but can't accept it. Unless that is your are offering to pay for the parts ??
                            im just glad to hear your keeping it mate..and sorry but im MEGA broke
                            Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
                              im just glad to hear your keeping it mate..and sorry but im MEGA broke
                              T'was but a moment of madness that has since passed. Thank God

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                                Or are skint?
                                Pretty much.

Comment

Working...
                                X