Recall done, Not road worthy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pass the elk and I'll give it a whirl !

In fact pass me two elks and a mechanic and I'll give it a whirl with and without ARB's ......

(Can somebody explain what a car full of armed coppers has got to do with the stability of a Surf ?)

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Originally posted by nero279 View Post
      you'd still hit it but you'd be leaning over a bit further when you did...

...You'd probably shit a brick but on the plus side there'd be a weeks worth of venison stuck to the front of your car. We all know these cars ain't gonna fare well in the elk test, would they actually be any worse without ARBs? I think a lot of people would be surprised. I'm willing to be proved wrong.
      no disrespect but its more to do with the driver,to most if that happend,they pull hard on the steering and end up on their side,more so if no arbs,i know u will argue the point,but its a fact,they are there for a reason,fairplay if your fully aware of the affects and yr happy without them,but take me for instance,my missus drives it normally more than me,and she would try and turn rather than hit,hence mine arent coming off

Comment

still think if she's throwing the steering wheel around violently enough to put the car on it's side she'll do it with or without ARBs attached. The same speed and same change of direction = the same momentum and the same forces involved. If the forces are enough to put the car on it's side they will. What will change is the way the car handles up to that point, and how it let's go when it does. It will still roll at exactly the same point.

Or at least that's my interpretation of the way they work, like i said i'm willing to be proved wrong.
        =========
        =SOLD UP!=
        =========

Comment

We all know these cars ain't gonna fare well in the elk test,
          I've said it before, and I'll probably say it again. If you have procomp ES9000 shocks, you will survive the elk test. Although mine was the badger test, the deer test, and a fortnight latter the darn cat test which was worse because every violent swevre I made the cat changed direction.

I have proven that these trucks can be driven hard (thanks to a dog that wanted to see how many times he could be bitten by an adder and survive), you just need to know what your truck can do.

p.s. For the reasons above I've kept my ARB's on, they haven't impeeded my offroad driving yet, that was the tyres and Bio Hazard really trying to finally get me stuck.
          Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

I've never swerved for rabbits, pheasants or foxes. I've never had a deer run out so close as to have to swerve but have braked hard for them when there's been no one behind me.

I really would not like to hit a deer square on at 50 though..

Rob.

Edit for Maverick : I run es9000's all round with milners uprated springs at rear..
            Last edited by wishbone; 11 February 2009, 23:02.

Comment

still think if she's throwing the steering wheel around violently enough to put the car on it's side she'll do it with or without ARBs attached. The same speed and same change of direction = the same momentum and the same forces involved. If the forces are enough to put the car on it's side they will. What will change is the way the car handles up to that point, and how it let's go when it does. It will still roll at exactly the same point.

Or at least that's my interpretation of the way they work, like i said i'm willing to be proved wrong.
              I don't really agree with that... I believe that with the roll bars installed the surf will lose traction on the inside rear wheel and start to slide, whereas without the roll bar the body will lurch to the outside of the corner and pull the truck over. Obviously at very extreme situations. I think the car with arb's will be sliding at the point that the no arb truck will be flipping...

Rob.

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
                I don't really agree with that... I believe that with the roll bars installed the surf will lose traction on the inside rear wheel and start to slide, whereas without the roll bar the body will lurch to the outside of the corner and pull the truck over. Obviously at very extreme situations. I think the car with arb's will be sliding at the point that the no arb truck will be flipping...

Rob.
                Taking it to the extreme, I agree. And I'm leaving it at that.

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
                  I think the car with arb's will be sliding at the point that the no arb truck will be flipping...
                  Possibly, I really would be interested to see it tested in a controlled environment. But that's simply not going to happen. So in the meantime i'll drive within what i believe my vehicle can do, whether the ARBs are on or off, i've had them both on and off in the past. And noticed the difference replacing my rear shocks made a hell of a lot more than i noticed having the rear ARB taken on / off.
                  =========
                  =SOLD UP!=
                  =========

Comment

Forgot to add, I also kept control when a car tried taking my bonnet off on the motorway when towing, I did use all three lanes getting it back under control.

I agree with nero279, changing the shocks makes a vast difference. Changing the suspension all round (shocks, springs and torsion bars) creates a wholse new car feeling, that I have to remember when ever I collect my sisters truck to work on it.
                    Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
                      I agree with nero279, changing the shocks makes a vast difference.
                      I agree with that too.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
                        I agree with that too.
                        Do you also agree that this thread has become so incredibly boring ?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                          Rather

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                            I've not really stuck my oar in yet, could do for a laugh if you like?
                            Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

on 2nd gen fitted procomps , milners stiffer springs and spring spacers noticed when i took arbs off the truck weighed less

jeeze some thread
                              Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

-typical forum thing-
                                Last edited by wishbone; 11 February 2009, 23:36.

Comment

Working...
                                X