Recall done, Not road worthy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Apache View Post
    Where's 'all the people' who had bearings wear out in a year on here? Just curious...

<edit> Oh b0llocks to it. Tighten them till your socket rounds off, or... dont fit a nut at all and have your wheels fall off.

Just use a bit of common. Tighten, check for play, drive, tighten / loosen to suit.

I dont really give a shit.
    Maybe it's all wrapped up in the pro roughtrax anti milners thing (but I'm pretty sure you have milners bearings fitted fine..) If you search on front wheel bearings there's a lot of 'my milners bearings wore out after a year' type posts.. Maybe they weren't fitted properly ?

Rob.

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
      Sorry if it made me look pious but I am entiltled to an opinion that differs to the forums.....

Rob.
      Where'd you get that idea?!?!

I think the opinion as I remember it (and certainly in my experience) was that the rear makes next to no difference, but the front makes quite a difference. I still say if you drive like a cock, without taking due care of the changes that mods make, you'll crash sooner or later, whatever your vehicle. No front ARB just became too much of a PITA for me on roundabouts though.

Yes, I have Milners bearings, and I wouldn't mind betting they come from SKS just the same as the Roughtrax ones. They seem fine fitted as I said. Tighten, check play, drive, check and adjust if necessary.
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

I think the opinion as I remember it (and certainly in my experience) was that the rear makes next to no difference, but the front makes quite a difference.

I know that as your opinion as I've read it many times here (and agreed). I've also read even more times from other members that removing front and rear makes no difference at all....

Rob.

Comment

I know that as your opinion as I've read it many times here (and agreed). I've also read even more times from other members that removing front and rear makes no difference at all....

Rob.
          Hehe, my 'opinions' wear thin frequently - but what the hell!

Front DOES make a difference. Anyone who says it makes none possibly shouldn't be driving.

Comment

I think the opinion as I remember it (and certainly in my experience) was that the rear makes next to no difference, but the front makes quite a difference. I still say if you drive like a cock, without taking due care of the changes that mods make, you'll crash sooner or later, whatever your vehicle. No front ARB just became too much of a PITA for me on roundabouts though.

Yes, I have Milners bearings, and I wouldn't mind betting they come from SKS just the same as the Roughtrax ones. They seem fine fitted as I said. Tighten, check play, drive, check and adjust if necessary.

makes sence
            i get my bearings from the same place car dealers do inclueding toyota
            http://www.cityseals.co.uk/
            its 3 mins from my house
            i think i payed about 6 quid of something silly for mine
            give em a ring
            had mine 5 years or so (or i may have killed one) but ya know how nice i treat mi truck
            am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Originally posted by JUDWAK View Post
              makes sence
              i get my bearings from the same place car dealers do inclueding toyota
              http://www.cityseals.co.uk/
              its 3 mins from my house
              i think i payed about 6 quid of something silly for mine
              give em a ring
              had mine 5 years or so (or i may have killed one) but ya know how nice i treat mi truck
              Probably the same ones.

It's not like Roughtrax, or Milners have secret 'better than anyone's' bearing makers. They'll all be from a big, respected industrial bearing concern. It's not like everyones making them in their shed.

Comment

Rob.

they i have have tryed it after it was said on here last year by Apache
                nearly 2 wheels on the round about and that was a bit fast but not over the limet
                its not worth taking any of them off
                your putting your poor passangers in danger in my opinion
                for the sake of a bit better off roading
                iam nutts about off road and care about my car has much has i care about treading in dog sh1t it bothers me but it will rubb off
                but i am not ever going to make my car a danger to others by romoving things

Comment

Probably the same ones.

It's not like Roughtrax, or Milners have secret 'better than anyone's' bearing makers. They'll all be from a big, respected industrial bearing concern. It's not like everyones making them in their shed.

that place is huge
                  we see all the car makes going there for there stock so
                  we do to but the only difference is the price
                  ya know how i like my gen parts

Comment

And if you're that bothered about the last nth of articulation you can fit disconnects....

Rob.

Comment

what if a deer runs out on ya and your doing 50mph

Comment

Hopefully you'd have your disconnects connected and be able to swerve round the bugger.... or fit a big ol' bull bar

Funny you mention deer... I have deer run across in front of me at least once a week in this season (not so much in the summer)

Rob.

Comment

Originally posted by JUDWAK View Post
                          what if a deer runs out on ya and your doing 50mph

Then the deer dies.. I hit one christmas eve, it just leapt out of the bush didnt have a chance of missing it, hit the bullbar, went under the Surf, ran it over with both sets of wheels, a bit upsetting for my passengers, the only thing I regret is I couldnt pick it up, by the time I would have found someone to sort it out for me it would have been a bit high, bien christmas n'all, killing something is no fun anyway, but having it go to waste is criminal!

Didnt leave a mark on the truck either, bless her...

---

Comment

Going back on topic, mine goes in for her recall Monday, can't wait to see the list my dealer comes up with.
                            Do you think they'll notice the lack of rear seats? or the lack of clean paint work.
                            She's due a service, but I thought I'd leave it until after the recall, so I don't have to wash it (now I've said that they won't valet mine).
                            Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by blackpoolsparks View Post
                              Heres my question - if i dont have the recall done, that is if i need it, is there any safety risk?
                              Yes, there is a safety risk. That's like asking, 'If one of my brake pipes happened to burst, would I be okay to drive it?'.

Comment

And I can second Apache's post in that I've never uttered that advice either. We both tell people there is a notable difference with the front off. More so, probably, if the original springs and shocks are in use.

As with any other advice, you have to learn to ignore the crap uttered by the morons who'd have you driving a dangerous vehicle and actually use all data available and make an informed opinion/choice.

Comment

Working...
                                X