Tbilisi by Hilux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tbilisi by Hilux

Hello. I have been directed here by a couple of guys in a Volkswagen forum as you can help me with my next upcoming adventure.
    The idea is to buy a Surf (or 4runner) in the UK and drive it from Brum to Bratislava (Slovak Republic) pick up a couple of friends and then on to Odessa and then Republic of Georgia and then up the Caucasus mountains.
    After we might leave it in Georgia and go back next year and travel back through Turkey.
    I need something that is mechanical diesel, manual gearbox and as few toys as possible – that way it can be repaired with a hammer.
    Also cheap so if I have to abandon it up a mountain or leave it in a dodgy garage in Tbilisi I will not care.

So can you guys help me deciding what to get and maybe where from?

I am looking for advice on what year (if any) mechanical deisel injection was discontinued.

Also I now understand that Surfs are Japanese domestic market and 4Runner are export and mainly LHD. Am I broadly right?
    Do you know if there are any downsides in buying a LHD Surf/4Runner over a RHD. Steering column going around the turbo for example.

Has any body done something similar to the trip I am proposing and if so what spares do you recommend.

Thanks

Comment

The very early 2.4 surfs (pre 91, I think) have mechanical injection, but I wouldn't take one on a long trip as they have a tendency to crack their heads (unless you buy one that's been sorted). I think 2.8s also have mechanical injection and also no turbo so are probably most reliable, but you'd do well to find one. All 3 litre surfs are electronic.

You are correct that surfs are Japanese imports. However, 4runners are the rest-of-the world version and are not exclusively LHD. They were sold in the UK for a couple of years.

I would also comment that the auto surfs are generally more reliable than the manuals as the manuals have a dual-mass flywheel that can disintegrate over time. On the 4runner they used a solid flywheel so this problem didn't happen.

The answer to your question, then, if you want mechanical injection and a manual is to get a UK 4runner 3.0TD (if you can find one that's got no rust). A 2.8 auto Surf would, in my opinion, be better but harder (as in nearly impossible) to find and doesn't match what you asked for.

If you do a search for 'overland' you should find some advice on these sorts of trips.

Comment

Originally posted by metric_thumbs View Post
        I am looking for advice on what year (if any) mechanical deisel injection was discontinued.

Also I now understand that Surfs are Japanese domestic market and 4Runner are export and mainly LHD. Am I broadly right?
        Do you know if there are any downsides in buying a LHD Surf/4Runner over a RHD. Steering column going around the turbo for example.

Has any body done something similar to the trip I am proposing and if so what spares do you recommend.

Thanks
        Surfs are JDM, 4Runners are The US and UK names for essentially the same truck. The UK 4Runners are RHD.

Diesel injection on all of the Surfs and 4Runners is mechanical. The pump control changed from Mechanical to Electronic around 1990 (I think).

Turbos are on the right, no steering column issues.

No idea what spares to take, but buy a well maintained 3.0L and you should be OK.
        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
          Diesel injection on all of the Surfs and 4Runners is mechanical. The pump control changed from Mechanical to Electronic around 1990 (I think).
          Except on 4runners.

Comment

This looks decent, if pricey:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1994-Toyota-4r...1%7C240%3A1318

This looks crap, but cheap (it says it's got an engine though):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1994-TOYOTA-4-...1%7C240%3A1318

This guy's talking rubbish and his rear springs are shot:

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
              Except on 4runners.
              I meant the injection process, not the pump. I thought the OP was thinking about fuel injection on petrol cars where the injector is opened electronically.

Comment

I meant the injection process, not the pump. I thought the OP was thinking about fuel injection on petrol cars where the injector is opened electronically.
                That's what I thought you meant (although I get lost once the bonnet is opened). What I mean is that they never swapped over to electronic pumps on (UK at least) 4runners.

They never put cupholders in either....

Comment

That's what I thought you meant (although I get lost once the bonnet is opened). What I mean is that they never swapped over to electronic pumps on (UK at least) 4runners.

They never put cupholders in either....
                  Ah, I didn't know that!

Comment

The answer to your question, then, if you want mechanical injection and a manual is to get a UK 4runner 3.0TD (if you can find one that's got no rust). A 2.8 auto Surf would, in my opinion, be better but harder (as in nearly impossible) to find and doesn't match what you asked for.

If you do a search for 'overland' you should find some advice on these sorts of trips.
                    Thanks Sancho - and all the others - great info, just what I wanted.

I am not bothered by rust, as long as it isn't too bad and not structural.
                    In fact driving a rusty car in some parts that we might go to is better then a shiny new truck - as you can become a target.

Imagine driving a new Defender!! Its like saying 'I am a rich westerner'

Comment

This looks decent, if pricey:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1994-Toyota-4r...1%7C240%3A1318

This looks crap, but cheap (it says it's got an engine though):

This guy's talking rubbish and his rear springs are shot:

Thanks again
                      I like the white ones - just paint UN on the side!

Comment

Imagine driving a new Defender!! Its like saying 'I am a rich westerner'
                        That's not the first thing that springs to my mind!

Comment

That's not the first thing that springs to my mind!
                          Do you mean it says - I am about to break down very soon?

My experience of Defenders is not good - and spares in non ex-commonwealth countries is close to non-existent

Comment

i would go for a 2.8 as sancho says ........ i would also look at some of the older land cruisers
                            ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Do you mean it says - I am about to break down very soon?
                              Well, that one speaks for itself. I think it was more of a gay idiot reference, personally.

Comment

Working...
                              X