Just for fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just for fun

I think I owe everybody on this forum an appology especialy growler.
    I did a 180 mile round trip today to look at a surf, crawled all over it, beat the seller down £400 then chickened out at the last minute. It was showing one previous owner in Bradford but the MOT,s were from a garage not too far from me in Birmingham. That just didn,t feel right to me and I think it gave me the excuse I was looking for to back out.
    The test drive went ok. It pulled to the nearside if you let the steering go and there was some vibration at the steering wheel that felt like the wheels needed balancing except I couldn,t drive around it.
    Driving home and talking about it with my wife and son I came to the conclusion that Yes I would like a surf but as a "fun" car not as my sole car. I couldn,t see myself doing a 500 mile round trip in a day in one.
    So to everybody who has taken the time to answer my questions and to growler who gave up a Saturday to check one out for me I would like to say sorry for wasting your time.
    I hope you will still allow me on your forum as I think you are a great bunch

Brummie

P.S. There is one good thing to come out of this. I did send a cheque off for my subs
    I've taken a vow of poverty To anoy me send money

Originally posted by Brummie View Post
    I think I owe everybody on this forum an appology especialy growler.
    I did a 180 mile round trip today to look at a surf, crawled all over it, beat the seller down £400 then chickened out at the last minute. It was showing one previous owner in Bradford but the MOT,s were from a garage not too far from me in Birmingham. That just didn,t feel right to me and I think it gave me the excuse I was looking for to back out.
    The test drive went ok. It pulled to the nearside if you let the steering go and there was some vibration at the steering wheel that felt like the wheels needed balancing except I couldn,t drive around it.
    Driving home and talking about it with my wife and son I came to the conclusion that Yes I would like a surf but as a "fun" car not as my sole car. I couldn,t see myself doing a 500 mile round trip in a day in one.
    So to everybody who has taken the time to answer my questions and to growler who gave up a Saturday to check one out for me I would like to say sorry for wasting your time.
    I hope you will still allow me on your forum as I think you are a great bunch

Brummie

P.S. There is one good thing to come out of this. I did send a cheque off for my subs

stick around still mate
    get a hilux banger and off road it
    am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

After paying your subs you'll have to stick around and abuse the regulars just to get your moneys worth

Have to ask why you don't think you can do a 500 mile trip in a day in a Surf?
      Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

i have done over 500m in a day in my 3.0l just to collect a breaker and trailor it home so go get a truck and have fun in it
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

no need to apologise m8,although i am a bit confused,to me a surf is very at home clocking up miles on the motorway,and comfy(im 6ft3),i used to change cars every few months,had the surf nearly 2 years now

Comment

I agree with breakdown. The Surf is better for long journeys, if you can afford the fuel. Couple of years ago i went 3 times to Italy in my Surf. I found it far less tireing than going in normal car, mainly i think because you are higher up from the road. I would load the car up with SVO and go there on 100% veg and then as Veg oil was more than diesel in Italy would drive back on diesel. Its same in this country now, veg oil is more than diesel.
            Still Searching,
            Dick Whittington

Comment

I did a 350 mile round trip to pick up my 33" wheels and tyres, I left at 5 in the morning and was back for 2 in the afternoon. I suffer from a bad back and I can honestly say I stepped out of the truck after that journey feeling relaxed and with no aches and pains.

The Surf sat steady as a rock on the motorway at 70 mph and never missed a beat. Adjust the seat, heating and music on and sit back for a fairly pleasant, comfortable, drive. Even coming home, with the quite noisy muds on, was no problem and I felt very little difference in the ride quality.

But then again mate, each to his own. If you didn't feel happy with it there's no point buying one.
              'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                Its same in this country now, veg oil is more than diesel.
                Depends where you shop Phil, diesel at the local garage is 97p a litre, Costco have veggie at 0.77p a litre.
                'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpion View Post
                  I did a 350 mile round trip to pick up my 33" wheels and tyres, I left at 5 in the morning and was back for 2 in the afternoon. I suffer from a bad back and I can honestly say I stepped out of the truck after that journey feeling relaxed and with no aches and pains.
                  Thats exactly the reason I went for mine, comparing the same run in the Surf with my Clio and for long journeys i'd take the Surf every time if I could afford it.

Comment

I take mine everywhere for work. I get 40ppm allowance and find I'm still in pocket. I claimed back £75 Friday, my fue bill was £50 and I still had over 1/4of a tank left.

Comment

Every reason to get a Surf I'd of thought, having bin up to Lochness in me Ol' 2.4 (1500 miles) in 2007 n last year in me newer 3.0l (1200 miles) n built in accommodation !!!!

There's always a Payback .... Just don't expect a Warning !!!!
                      Buncefield Burner

Comment

I use mine every day, nice and comfy and on my annual 200 mile trip to York its brilliant, no numb bum and you can really see the countryside, plus I love the tyre noise you get, its like its singing to you...

too romantic? sorry.

Comment

I must agree about the surf being an easy drive, i do track days once a month and my favorite track is oulton park 330 miles away, drive fast round the track all day(not in the hilux lol) then back in the hilux for 330miles back home thats 11 hrs in the surf

Comment

as much as i love my surf (and i've done some long trips in it) for really long trips nothing beats the soarer for comfort and ride (adjustable air suspension)

Comment

Working...
                            X