Take the train......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take the train......

.......it's better for the environment using public transport and less hassle than driving, but it's severly painful to the wallet and not a cost effective means of transport.
    Ok the reason for this rant then. At the end of feb I'm planning a suprise break for Mrs Chaos and I for a few days. Everything's all booked except for getting to London which is our start point. No problem I thought to myself, if I book nearly a month in advance I could get a cheap deal on the train. Thus saving driving to London, finding a safe place to park (which I can fit the truck into) for the week, getting stressed at driving and so on.
    Well done a search for train times and prices and nearly choked on my coffee when the results came up, £93 for two people from Bournemouth to London return!!!! It's the same price if I were to turn up at the station now and buy tickets for now.
    How the hell do they justify charging that much to use public transport? Think how far you'd get if you put £93 of fuel in your car and I'm sure it would be a lot futher than Bournemouth to London. If the governement and tree huggers want people to use public transport, then surely the prices should be competitive compared to car usage.
    Ok ranting over now, I've calmed down a little and found I can book a return journey on National Express Coaches for £24.50 and it only takes half an hour longer than the train would.
    Hold my beer and watch this

sorry what were you saying...too busy looking at your avatar !!
    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

They need the money for Stormy's compensation....

Check the price for two singles each. It will probably be much cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
        It is a bit hypnotic is't it
        ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

lol it's a little distracting at times I know

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
          They need the money for Stormy's compensation....

Check the price for two singles each. It will probably be much cheaper.
          Single works out at £18, so making a return £36. That doesn't make sense, right?

Comment

since when have the train companies made sense..........sorry........th ey are like two girl soldiers fighting in a tent
            Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

since when have the train companies made sense..........sorry........th ey are like two girl soldiers fighting in a tent
              True, it just annoys me that a public service is being run as a private oversized trainset for profit.

P.S You'll go blind if you keep staring

Comment

Originally posted by captain_chaos View Post
                True, it just annoys me that a public service is being run as a private oversized trainset for profit.

P.S You'll go blind if you keep staring
                It's not a public service. You have Thatcher to thank for that.

And no, it makes no sense at all. It does actually, but I would need to go into great detail about market pricing strategies and would also need confidential operational information from the individual train company.

Comment

Check both the times you are travelling and the 1st class fares.

When I went to pick up my Surf I travelled by train.

For a book in advance single it was £58......however.....there was a special deal on 1st class which only cost £35........if I booked on the train before the one I was originally looking at.

I just searched through the online national rail website until I found the most economic combination of journey, time and type of travel/ticket.

....and I got as much free coffee on the journey as I could drink.

Comment

Picked up our Surf near Bournmouth having flown to Gatwick. Train was nearly £35 single! With two of us, we'd have been cheaper hiring a car, filling it up and returning it at a different depot - sadly we didn't think of that till to late.

As said, it's a stupid situation - driving should, by almost any logic, be the most expensive way to get from A to B bar perhaps helicopters and teleportation. Thanks to successive further-right-than-you governments, the opposite is now true and, if you live further than a stone's throw from London, the roads are so bad that you either waste hours in traffic or £££ on fares!
                    Andy
                    http://www.surfingafrica.net

Comment

Originally posted by Ava_Banana View Post
                      I just searched through the online national rail website until I found the most economic combination of journey, time and type of travel/ticket.

:
                      Kinda takes the fun out of turning up at the station and buying a ticket though.

Comment

On Scotrail's website, a return ticket from Camelon to Edinburgh was £43 each. On the train it was £14.40 for both of us.
                        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Lets face it Jason they don't want ya to travel on the train ... do they ??
                          a crowded train is a Safety risk n its all about the money nowadays !!

There's always a Payback .... Just don't expect any Warning !!!!
                          Buncefield Burner

Comment

it's often cheaper to book a ticket to a station outside of london but one which requires a change in london then just not use the last part of the ticket. I went from ashford to chester for £17, ashford to london bridge on the same train was £19.50
                            =========
                            =SOLD UP!=
                            =========

Comment

Working...
                            X