Front suspension?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front suspension?

I am considering replacing the shocks and springs on my Surf later this year as the ride seems a little more bouncy than it used to be. I can see how the rear end works but what about the front? Do the torsion bars wear or sag and need replacing?

There is plenty of talk about springs for the rear but no one seems to mention the front except for cranking up the torsion bars when doing a suspension lift. I want to stick with standard height suspension and probably original Toyota shocks.

Cheers,

Paul
    Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

I would have thought that a sagging torsion bar (if there is such a thing) can just be wound up again.

I would go for ES9000s or similar. The Toyota shocks are crap and the ES9000s suit the V6's 'sporty' nature a bit better.

Comment

If you want to stick with original parts, why did you post? Just buy original parts at a million quid a pop

As far as torsion bars, well they must weaken I suppose. No idea how much a brand new set would be, but I bet it wouldn't be cheap!

What I would suggest in all seriousness is that before you go replacing springs and shocks, you check the condition of your ARB bushes. Changing the front bushes on mine (I dont have a rear bar) for Milner polyurethane ones totally transformed the ride. I have TJM shocks which seem just great, though my originals were badly worn (one had fallen off!) when I changed them.
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Ok, the reason for posting is that I don’t have a workshop manual for the Surf and the front suspension seemed to be deceptively simple.

I would like to stick with the standard ride height because I know which barriers I can get under without worrying. Also I built a jacked up Land Rover (2004 -2005) with 3” raised springs / shocks and then ran into other snags such as needing custom made propshafts etc. I just don’t want the extra aggro that comes with suspension / body lifts.

Looking at the Roughtrax site, it doesn’t look like I can put together a set of standard height front shocks/rear shocks & springs. Seems they only offer uprated / 2” lifted rear springs http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=11&cid=155 which I guess are not suitable for use with the standard height ES9000 shocks.

What do you guys think of the springs and shocks from Milner??? http://www.milneroffroad.com/categor...?cID=10326&p=2

It is interesting to hear that you think the ES900’s are better than the Toyota originals, if that is really the case then I can save some money.

Anyway I don’t want to spend too much money on this old truck as come the end of October I will be completely out of debt, not owing anyone a single penny. I’ll then start looking for something else... Have I said that I really like Land Cruisers
        Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

do milners still do the 20% stronger springs ?? they should help. as for the front,new shocks would make a difference, the pro comps are good and add some stiffnes to your ride.if they dont improve it much, just wind your bars up 2-3 turns.it shouldnt lift the front but add some rigidty to your ride....but as apache said, look at your arb bushes, make sure they are all tight.
          Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Working...
          X