More Laptop Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Laptop Problems

Okay my hard drive problem is now solved, thanks for your help everyone!

Now the new problem, I'm trying to instal Windows XP pro on an IBM Thinkpad T21. It has 256mb of ram and an 800 mhz processor, so although it's hardly cutting edge it should be above the minimum spec for XP.

The hard drive was fdisked, formatted and returned no bad sectors, but when trying to instal XP it freezes in exactly the same place every time! When it gets to the 'Installing Devices' section it always stops and locks up with 35 minutes left of the setup.

I had successfully installed Windows 2000 on an old hard drive but XP is a no go, even on this new hard drive I'm trying. Any ideas oh enlightened ones?
    'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpion View Post
      Okay my hard drive problem is now solved, thanks for your help everyone!

Now the new problem, I'm trying to instal Windows XP pro on an IBM Thinkpad T21. It has 256mb of ram and an 800 mhz processor, so although it's hardly cutting edge it should be above the minimum spec for XP.

The hard drive was fdisked, formatted and returned no bad sectors, but when trying to instal XP it freezes in exactly the same place every time! When it gets to the 'Installing Devices' section it always stops and locks up with 35 minutes left of the setup.

I had successfully installed Windows 2000 on an old hard drive but XP is a no go, even on this new hard drive I'm trying. Any ideas oh enlightened ones?

copy ya xp disk and use the copy it will work then
      its a blip on ya disk
      it only freezers for a few reasons thats the main one
      i buy lots of cheap commys coz of this
      am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Thanks Jud. I own, let's say, a few copies of XP and they all freeze in the same place. I will copy one at a very low speed and give it a try though.

Will let you know how I get on!

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpion View Post
          Thanks Jud. I own, let's say, a few copies of XP and they all freeze in the same place. I will copy one at a very low speed and give it a try though.

Will let you know how I get on!

nero is best for that job matey

out of intrest
          is it stopping on (bare with me cant spell it)
          imaneazing setup
          kernel driver
          Last edited by JUDWAK; 24 January 2009, 13:41.
          am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Originally posted by JUDWAK View Post
            copy ya xp disk and use the copy it will work then
            its a blip on ya disk
            it only freezers for a few reasons thats the main one
            i buy lots of cheap commys coz of this
            Thats it!!!

I was looking at OS install faults an couldn't remember what the bl**dy hell caused it!

Comment

Sussed it! What a pain this was, but I hate it when I can't fix a computer! Finally pinned it down to the internal modem, which appears to be kaput. Windows device drivers wouldn't load for the modem which is why it kept freezing in the same place.

I removed the modem and, hey presto, Windows XP loaded first time!

Comment

Working...
              X