yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know about 2000MY Volvo XC70s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know about 2000MY Volvo XC70s?

I bought one last weekend, and it has a couple of niggles, wondered if there was anyone here that knew about them???
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

all i know is hale and pace once said (in swedish accents)

"here in sweden we drive volvo's....have a crash they are perfectly safe"

seriousl;y what niggles old fruit ??
    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
      all i know is hale and pace once said (in swedish accents)

"here in sweden we drive volvo's....have a crash they are perfectly safe"

seriousl;y what niggles old fruit ??
      Hi - I purchased a used XC70 (X304 UBW) from you just over a week ago. and it has developed some faults. The day I took it for a test drive there was a message on the dash - No oil pressure - this was cleared and a new throttle body fitted prior to me collecting the car. The message came back the morning after I collected the car, with rough idle and loud cam rattle - it actually sounded like a diesel. I have cured this with some MolySlip for now and that message has not returned. However, the idle is still very rough, at first start and when waiting at lights/junctions etc. I put this down to two.three things.
      1. The MAF needs to be replaced - a common issue if the throttle body is replaced, the MAF gets very dirty with blowback, and stops working - add to this a hole in the air box on the bottom left front corner where one of the mounting feet has snapped off, the car 'chugs' at idle, and when you tap the accelerator, a cloud of white/grey smoke comes out, and after about 20-30 seconds it clears. I will also need to check/change the spark plugs.
      2. As a result of above, the emission system light is on - has been now for 2 days.
      3. I keep getting 'coolant level lo - stop safely asap' message. Since collecting the car its taken 2 litre of coolant since seeing this message, between 0.5 and 1.0 litre per day. I can't see any clear evidence of a leak, the heater works fine, so the head seems OK. My thought on this - but would need to check it over, is the water/coolant pump may be leaking. I have to carry a 5 litre container of coolant at all times, and keep topping up to clear the message, that comes on and goes out throughout journeys, long or short.

Given the car is under warrenty, are there any restrictions in where I take the car to get this work done? I've ordered plugs and a MAF sensor, so will do those this week - but I will need a new air box, as the hole (about the size of a 10p piece) is probably causing some more of the problems with the idle, as air is being pulled through that, and is not being registered by the MAF sensor..
      Can you also please check if there are any notes on the car service reports about water pump etc? I have seen a note about rough idle, and that a faulty oxygen sensor was to blame, but no note if this was replaced or not. (front sensor).

Many thanks,

Andrew.

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer View Post
        Hi - I purchased a used XC70 (X304 UBW) from you just over a week ago. and it has developed some faults. The day I took it for a test drive there was a message on the dash - No oil pressure - this was cleared and a new throttle body fitted prior to me collecting the car. The message came back the morning after I collected the car, with rough idle and loud cam rattle - it actually sounded like a diesel. I have cured this with some MolySlip for now and that message has not returned. However, the idle is still very rough, at first start and when waiting at lights/junctions etc. I put this down to two.three things.
        1. The MAF needs to be replaced - a common issue if the throttle body is replaced, the MAF gets very dirty with blowback, and stops working - add to this a hole in the air box on the bottom left front corner where one of the mounting feet has snapped off, the car 'chugs' at idle, and when you tap the accelerator, a cloud of white/grey smoke comes out, and after about 20-30 seconds it clears. I will also need to check/change the spark plugs.
        2. As a result of above, the emission system light is on - has been now for 2 days.
        3. I keep getting 'coolant level lo - stop safely asap' message. Since collecting the car its taken 2 litre of coolant since seeing this message, between 0.5 and 1.0 litre per day. I can't see any clear evidence of a leak, the heater works fine, so the head seems OK. My thought on this - but would need to check it over, is the water/coolant pump may be leaking. I have to carry a 5 litre container of coolant at all times, and keep topping up to clear the message, that comes on and goes out throughout journeys, long or short.

Given the car is under warrenty, are there any restrictions in where I take the car to get this work done? I've ordered plugs and a MAF sensor, so will do those this week - but I will need a new air box, as the hole (about the size of a 10p piece) is probably causing some more of the problems with the idle, as air is being pulled through that, and is not being registered by the MAF sensor..
        Can you also please check if there are any notes on the car service reports about water pump etc? I have seen a note about rough idle, and that a faulty oxygen sensor was to blame, but no note if this was replaced or not. (front sensor).

Many thanks,

Andrew.
        did you buy from a dealer andy ?

if so i would highly recommend you take it back to them and demand a refund
        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

I got it from an independant, Phil Whitaker cars in Farnham Common, nr Slough, with a years warranty. If it looks/sounds worse after some fault finding I'll claim for a new engine under the warranty. So far, it's been fine - just the wrong grade of oil caused the noise and error message on oil pressure. That's been sorted, and it's hydraulic tappets, so they have since shut up. I've contacted them today on the other issues and their service team are off scratching heads for a short while.
          Last edited by MudSurfer; 19 January 2009, 16:39.

Comment

I'd be after my money back staright away. You may have casued yourself trouble by letting on about the Molyslip. This will likely invalidate any warranty.

Comment

When you say: "the car 'chugs' at idle, and when you tap the accelerator, a cloud of white/grey smoke comes out, and after about 20-30 seconds it clears" ........are you sure the head gasket isnt blown? That would be the first thing I'd investigate

Does this engine have VVT? because I seem to recall one of the volvos does and there is an oil powered solenoid near the front of the head which blocks up causing performance problems, oil pressure problems and poor idle.

First thing...dont DIY, they sold it (with warranty) let them fix it......and give you a car whilst its off the road!

The airbox wont be covered on a warranty....that'll be down to themselves to sort out......you'll find its a "Breakdown assurance warranty" which will not replace "worn out" or broken tems, especially this close to date of sale.
              What have I told you about thinking Erroll

Comment

Originally posted by meooo View Post
                When you say: "the car 'chugs' at idle, and when you tap the accelerator, a cloud of white/grey smoke comes out, and after about 20-30 seconds it clears" ........are you sure the head gasket isnt blown? That would be the first thing I'd investigate
                Does sound like it, especially with the mysterious missing coolant.

Comment

The head gasket has gone - main dealer just phoned, so I've put them and the supplying dealer in contact......let's see what happens next.... 8 days I've owned this car...8 flippin days!

Comment

Andy did ya say it was a Deizel or it just sounded like one ??

There's always a Payback .... Just don't expect a Warning !!!!
                    Buncefield Burner

Comment

The head gasket has gone - main dealer just phoned, so I've put them and the supplying dealer in contact......let's see what happens next.... 8 days I've owned this car...8 flippin days!
                      i thought that as i was reading,no oil pressure,chugging,white smoke,just get yr money back,no being nasty but this the very reason i dont buy from dealers,u will have a world of aggro now,go get a local paper,find one there,find an oap owned one,ie turn up to the addy,there it is on the driveway,old man polishing it ready,folder full of reciepts etc

Comment

OK then - the supplying dealer has been on the phone with the local dealer that assessed the car - and are collecting it tomorrow morning, taking it back to their workshop and keeping it until it's fixed! I walked up to my Surf that has been sat still since a day out in Avon Dassett quarry, and it started second turn of the key, and is quieter than the Volvo has been....

Ho hum - we'll see what the dealer says, and how long it takes for them to sort this out. If it comes back and doesn't work - it's theirs and I'll find another one.

Oh, and Jess mate, it's a petrol..

Comment

i startred mine after 3 months............and it chugged a bit sure.......but only for 10 seconds. still sounds nice now.
                          Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
                            i startred mine after 3 months............and it chugged a bit sure.......but only for 10 seconds. still sounds nice now.
                            Surfs rule!!!

Comment

Surfs rule!!!
                              Even better with a set of Recaro's fitted. Been looking at this set I have in my basement and thinking I should see how they look in my truck

Comment

Working...
                              X