What part is this called?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What part is this called?

Ok i'll have to describe it first as can't get out to take a pic, will do later on though. But on the front passenger side, behind the wheel. There what looks like an arm for what I think is part of the steering. It's bolted to the chasis and through a series of joints goes to the passenger side steering set up. Have been told I need to replace this as there's too much play in it and will fail MOT. Anyone know what I'm on about? I'll try and get out with a camera later to explain better.
    Hold my beer and watch this

Originally posted by captain_chaos View Post
    Ok i'll have to describe it first as can't get out to take a pic, will do later on though. But on the front passenger side, behind the wheel. There what looks like an arm for what I think is part of the steering. It's bolted to the chasis and through a series of joints goes to the passenger side steering set up. Have been told I need to replace this as there's too much play in it and will fail MOT. Anyone know what I'm on about? I'll try and get out with a camera later to explain better.
    cant spell mate
    steering ildler
    its like give us a glue mate
    i know thats the wrong spelling but my mind gose blank
    am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Originally posted by JUDWAK View Post
      cant spell mate
      steering ildler
      its like give us a glue mate
      i know thats the wrong spelling but my mind gose blank
      Just looked on roughtrax site, looks like you're right. I'll be back in about an hour with a pic of my truck.

Comment

Just looked on roughtrax site, looks like you're right. I'll be back in about an hour with a pic of my truck.
        steering idler, reasonably easy to change as long as you have spanners and a large hammer -mind thse nuckles!....dont buy from Milners...roughtrax are better
        Did I mention I have a BLUE one
        Tony

Comment

Looks like it is the steering idler. Roughtrax have them on special offer too Would it be worth to get both sides? Only the passenger side is playing up at the mo.

Comment

Looks like it is the steering idler. Roughtrax have them on special offer too Would it be worth to get both sides? Only the passenger side is playing up at the mo.
            if you have the cash jas,do em both.........and yes it is the steering idler doo dah thingy...............NOT the quantum discombobulator,or flux capacitor
            Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

It's the pitman arm on the drivers side, not an idler. No, its not worth changing unless its cream crackered.

You'll probably need a ball joint splitter to get the idler off. A big fork-type one. From what I've seen and heard, play in the steering is usually idler or track rod end wear. Dont listen to poo-man

Hey Gra, still on the Ledbury job???
              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
                if you have the cash jas,do em both.........and yes it is the steering idler doo dah thingy...............NOT the quantum discombobulator,or flux capacitor
                Not got a flux capacitor, it's a 2.4 remember. By the time I get to 88mph and ice age would have passed Well been paid today, so may get both sides done.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                  It's the pitman arm on the drivers side, not an idler. No, its not worth changing unless its cream crackered.

You'll probably need a ball joint splitter to get the idler off. A big fork-type one. From what I've seen and heard, play in the steering is usually idler or track rod end wear. Dont listen to poo-man

It's got a lot of play at the joints, so can you just replace those?

Comment

. listen to poo-man

you know it makes sense !!

nah mate.....ledbury is on hold for the forseeable future,till the client pays up.i spoke with the agencey yesterday and the main contractor is VERY keen to get us back there as they will have to dael with a frozen membrane plant and have to dispose of roughly 1 million litres of 3-4 month old septic sludge.................niiiiii ce !!

till then its the minibus and pizza deliveries for me
                    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

It's got a lot of play at the joints, so can you just replace those?
                      Which joints? There's only two on the idler. The ball joint and the main bearing. The bearing is plain nylon type so does wear. I'd just replace the idler and see how it feels then.
                      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Which joints? There's only two on the idler. The ball joint and the main bearing. The bearing is plain nylon type so does wear. I'd just replace the idler and see how it feels then.
                        there's play at both ends of the pitman arm. Will probably just get new idler both sides, then not worry about it.

Comment

just reviving this thread from the dead!

Roughtrax sell the idler arm bushes as well as complete idler assemply.

How hard is it to split the idler and replace bushes?

for sake of 30 quid i'd normally swap the lot out, but shipping will cost me a fortune to here, so will have a go at swapping the bushes first if not too hard...
                          RZN185 1" lift, 32s - KZN130 2" lift, 32s

Comment

Pretty easy.
                            Even more so if you have a vice.

Pretty sure someone has posted up pictures on here.
                            Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

aah thank you, should have searched first!

here it is:

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=60209

problem is i won't know if the arm is cream crackered without stripping it first...
                              RZN185 1" lift, 32s - KZN130 2" lift, 32s

Comment

Working...
                              X