No announcement yet.

It lives - again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the rear nut, an offset 17mm ring spanner works wonders. Access it from underneath the truck. Feel for the nut with one hand, place spanner with other.

Ahhh, offset ring spanners - worth their weight in gold!
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

well that was fun...

i just overhauled the starter on my 2.4.

curiously though inside the housing theres a little plate that goes on one of the terminals that has a soldered connection that goes down inside the housing. in mine this plate was on the opposite side to that shown here and in the documentation from roughtrax. also the paper insulator was on the opposite side too.

seems to have done the trick though although ill be paranoid about it failing again for the next couple of weeks...just the way i am :P

Comment

That should be made into a sticky so the thick pr@s like me can find it when we need it because I guarantee I wont be able to find the thread or remember who wrote it when my starter needs doing.
        That was great, easy to follow. It needs to be for me to understand.

Brummie
        I've taken a vow of poverty To anoy me send money

Comment

Great write up.
          The v6 process is the same, mine was no where near as dirty inside so I just replaced the copper contacts (about 10 quid from toyota).

Getting the starter out was as said above the hardest bit, infact getting the bolts loose was the problem for me!!! I recormend getting a good 2ft of extension poles for your socket set and then you can feed this through from the front of the engine and it was really easy to undo and redo all the bolts up good and tight!!

Comment

Mine was full of mud / water due to lots of wading that year. Road trucks would look a lot cleaner I imagine!

I'm not sure if you could use a long bar on the 3.0TD. Cant remember if there's anything in the way, but as I said, an offset ring spanner worked well for me.

Comment

Excellent write up Andy, definatly one for the tech section, email it to Koi for the files (and Mat for the Buchan site)
              Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

It's already there (Matt's site and Andy Simpson's site)

Comment

maybe its different on the 2.4 but i found it really easy to get at the bolts after the second time i removed the motor.

i can get a 3/8th ratchet or a spanner down the back of the engine for the top bolt and same for the lower bolt. i just put a ring spanner on the end of the ratchet to crack the top bolt then you can get your hand round the side at the back to undo it the rest of the way.

Comment

Working...
                  X