Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• feed the birds

any one else in to feeding the wildlife
    i have been feeding birds all my life and my very own squirrel for the last 3 years that never hibernates
    its the biggest squirrel in the hood
    his name is (danger squirrel)
    he is one hard mofo loves hazel nuts
    but my main question is this
    has any one seen any spuggys sparrows dunhill what ever ya call them were you come from
    i have not seen any all winter
    has any one else
    my squirrel dose eat spuggys tho i have seen him with a spuggy in his mouth still alive sheaking its head off a few times very weired i know
    so i can not disside wether its the spuggys are craping them selfs and stay away
    or is there something wrong with the spuggys
    am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

In my last place there where loads of squirrels and they used to feed off the bird table all the time. So I stretched a line 20 meters long and put a bagel(doughnut bread thing not dog) in the middle of it. every time the squirrel would try to crawl along the line it would fall off... made me laugh till one day I watched it fall off then get up climb to where the string was tied and chew through it ...food fell to floor and squirrel got it's bagel!! clever buggers

A little fix for you

Comment

Originally posted by madcampbell View Post
      In my last place there where loads of squirrels and they used to feed off the bird table all the time. So I stretched a line 20 meters long and put a bagel(doughnut bread thing not dog) in the middle of it. every time the squirrel would try to crawl along the line it would fall off... made me laugh till one day I watched it fall off then get up climb to where the string was tied and chew through it ...food fell to floor and squirrel got it's bagel!! clever buggers

A little fix for you
      nice dude that the first one i have seen

Comment

we feed the birds all year round.
        We even have 5 nest in the loft which the pairs come back to for the last 4 years.
        It's lovely to watch the babies reay to take the first flight.We have them come down and bath in the waterfall in the pond aswell.
        We have 4 different feeds about the garden for them.
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-...00811315155480

Comment

My wife feeds the birds every day - at least 2 or three times. She volunteers and a Pet and Bird shop and gets the feed from there. Our birds get loads of stuff - live meal worms, fat balls, special bird mix, nuts, seed etc.

I think that all the local birds think this is the best cafe in town.

We have a couple of families of Blackbirds we see all the time - seem to have over the last two years helped to bring up 6 families (the two parents were having 3 sets of chicks a year. Two Robins (they avoid each lther like the plague but we know there are two because the mails look quite different. Tons of Sparrow, blue tits, great tits, gold finches, long tailed tits, had the occassional woodpecker, loads of crows, woodpigeons, Starlings, Magpies, occasional Jays and actually had a Sparrowhawk in which took one of the small birds - thats the problem you attract the small birds and the predators come in too.

The garden is always a hive of activity which is great. The Blackbirds, Starlings and Sparrows wait by the back door to be fed in the morning and one of the Robins is always on the fence waiting.
            Last edited by lucky; 7 January 2009, 16:33.

Comment

so it seems there is a problem for spuggies in rotherham
              let me think up some plans to see if i can make some sort of differance

Comment

That's cos they all came south to my garden in Cheltenham. Must have at least 30-40 of them most days.

Also there is a supposed reduction in the number of Starlings. Again most of them are here in my garden.

Comment

Ive had to stop feeding then in our garden cos of magpie's, nothing else can get near the food cos of then, greedy little shits.
                  If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by si tate View Post
                    Ive had to stop feeding then in our garden cos of magpie's, nothing else can get near the food cos of then, greedy little shits.
                    you think you've got trouble http://www.maidenhead-advertiser.co....y-off-my-dog-/

Comment

Originally posted by madcampbell View Post

Sounds like she needs to get a bigger dog so it can't be whisked off & scoffed.

Bet it was a bit scarey for her though.
                      If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by si tate View Post
                        Sounds like she needs to get a bigger dog so it can't be whisked off & scoffed.

Bet it was a bit scarey for her though.
                        I love the red kites, we live on the top of a hill and can watch them soar around the sky effortlessly from my bedroom window

Comment

We feed em all year round too, the missis used to make up fat dishes till the dog got one and spewed it all over the floor, they eat most of our leftovers, hardly any food goes in the bin, why throw it away when summat will be gald of it, (they dont like chillies tho)
                          Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Our local council sent out letters asking residents not to feed the birds as it was attracting RATS into our gardens!
                            'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpion View Post
                              Our local council sent out letters asking residents not to feed the birds as it was attracting RATS into our gardens!

i had the same
                              i spent loads taking the rats out (not for dinner ya understand)
                              now i have a rat proof garden cost loads but was worth it
                              they is no way out for them
                              all my fence is about 12inch under ground at least and in parts its 2ft
                              if they do jump on they can not get back off
                              dog killed about 12 last year now i see non

Comment

Working...
                              X