which model 2 go 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which model 2 go 4

hi all, newbie here, at the present i have a toyota supra mkiii turbo which is getting a bit to small for us as my daughter is 15 going on 16 , 5ft 9ins and is getting a bit to cramped in the back, always liked the look and shape of the surf also the 4runner, also know about head gaskits being weak on the toyotas as the supra went, replaced it wth parts from the US, came in at around £900. so, which is the best model surf to go for, won,t be doing off road in it don,t want to go to old, 943/94 onwards, like all the toys, must be in good nick and reliable. oh and don,t want the wheel carrier on the back, are imports better?? any advice would be welcome, will possable have about £2k/£2.5k to spend...
    i x toyoyta surf 1 x toyota supra mk3 turbo auto

You'll get a good M plate 3.0 SSR-G for not much over a grand. Don't buy the first one you see, be picky. Imports (Surfs) are higher spec than the 4Runner, our Oriental friends like their toys...
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Hi and welcome to the forum.
      There are plenty of trucks out there at very cheap prices at the moment.The 3.0l is the better option powerwise.
      You will probably even get a 3rd gen for that sort of money aswell going by the way prices have been lately on ebay.
      There's always people on here like myself that break surfs for spares at reasonable prices so you will be able to get parts easy enough for the 2nd gens.The 3rd gens are a bit harder to get parts for 2nd hand but you will have to shop about on the internet for them.
      Good luck with your search and any info you require do a search or just ask on here if you can't find what your looking for.
      Some people will be willing to look at a truck for you if its to far away so just ask if you need to
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Stay well clear of the slow, underpowered 2.4 which is notorious for head problems.

3:0 diesels are well within your budget or you could even go for the more refined and powerful petrol 3:0 V6, especially since petrol is so cheap now.
        Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Stay well clear of the 3.0ltr petrol v6 which is well known for head problems.

Comment

which ever you go for dont take off the arb's or put a spare on the roof it will roll over
            Did I mention I have a BLUE one
            Tony

Comment

Originally posted by fatfires View Post
              which ever you go for dont take off the arb's or put a spare on the roof it will roll over

G1t

Comment

thanks all, what year does the 3rd gen start from?? wouldn,t go for petrol as it will all go back up towards end of next year....

Comment

1996 is the cross over year from the 2nd gen with drop down tailgate and the 3rd gen with a lift up tailgate

Comment

thanks, theres a couple of nice looking ones on ebay ones black m plate ltd edition 88k imported 2006 starting at 2k, another 1994 at a garage in glouc at £2995 but will take £2500, thats an import, looks tidy, anything in particular to look out for??

Comment

Make sure everything is running smoothly just like any car really.
                      The 2nd gen you cannot use 4wd on tarmac unless snowing icy etc.Take the truck for a good long run and if theres somewhere with loose groud you can try the 4wd out on that will be good.
                      Preferably try to see the truck when the engine is cold so you can hear any rattles and see what smoke there is etc with it.Make sure all 5 windows operate.Both heaters are working ok.
                      If possible if its from a garage see if they will do a full service inc cambelt before you buy it

Comment

Some advice ......

http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/faq.htm
                        ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Originally posted by BioHazard View Post
                          better allow a day per vehicle following that check list... thanks

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post
                            Stay well clear of the 3.0ltr petrol v6 which is well known for head problems.

Rod, not sure where you got that info from but you are wrong.

The 3:0 V6 petrol heads are fine, it was the sub-standard head gaskets that caused a problem on some trucks and most of those where replaced via a recall.

Oh, just spotted that you are a 2.4 owner, ah well never mind, I'm sure you like your truck
                            Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

I've had the 2.4 diesel and the 3.0 Petrol. Both engines are slow and crap and both have reliability issues.

Get a 3.0 diesel, the end.

Or a 2.7 petrol with a supercharger......

Comment

Working...
                              X