8loody Freezin in our house !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8loody Freezin in our house !!!

I've looked at shedloads, anybody got any thoughts about Woodburners?? need some good or bad info/experiences please

There's always a Payback .... Just don't expect any warnings !!!!
    Buncefield Burner

Only that you use far more wood than you would ever imagine.
    I Love Wales

Comment

Shedloads of what??

Comment

Originally posted by Diezel Weazel View Post
        I've looked at shedloads, anybody got any thoughts about Woodburners?? need some good or bad info/experiences please

There's always a Payback .... Just don't expect any warnings !!!!
        we have two.i can recomend them.chq norhern tools.
        its always a bonus if you do tree work..
        sigos85@hotmail.com

Comment

[Quote]I've looked at shedloads, Woodburners? [Quote]
          Keep up Vince ... You not bin drinkin then

There's always a Payback .... Just don't expect any warning !!!!
          Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by 286bhp View Post
            we have two.i can recomend them.chq norhern tools.
            its always a bonus if you do tree work..
            Cheers Dave...

There's always a Payback .... Just don't expect a warning !!
            Buncefield Burner

Comment

[quote=Diezel Weazel;515979][quote]I've looked at shedloads, Woodburners?
              Keep up Vince ... You not bin drinkin then

There's always a Payback .... Just don't expect any warning !!!!

I had a can of lager last week with a splash of leomonade in it.

Comment

1st get a stove, pref' with a flue damper. These are much more efficient in terms of what you send up the chimney/flu

get the biggest one you can fit in/afford, the heat ratings given (5,7,9KW etc) are usually taken when the stove is absolutely roaring on seasoned hardwoods. Bigger logs also means less chopping.

We sell em at work, if you can get a cast iron one, they retain heat better than the steel ones.

Comment

Good choice Jess a real fire is lovely.
                  Some woods are better burned soon after chopping and some better left for up to a year. You are entering a whole new weekend of boring anorak research.
                  Enjoy
                  Brian

Comment

I remember the TV ad from the 70s. Come home to a real fire, and its popular variant

Come home to a real fire. Buy a cottage in Wales.

Some of that is probably lost on the younger members. Ask your Mum and Dad

Bogus
                    Сви можемо

Comment

We fitted something between a woodburner and an open fire a few months back. I can get quite a bit of free wood, and we use it as a supplement to the gas CH.

It looks like an open fire, but it isn't really. I think its called a cassette fire. It slots in the wall, but doesn't need a flue liner (£1000+ for the length we would have needed in stainless) as it can use the standard chimney. It has air channels (hidden) which run from the bottom of the fire, up the back via a heat exchanger, to a vent above the fire, and the heat that comes out of this is fantastic. I got the multifuel version (a grate!) so I can burn coal if I feel like, however, I've just burned wood so far and the difference it's made has been truly amazing!

The amount of wood? Well, in the last couple of days when its been REALLY cold, I've lit it about 2pm and used about 4 or 5 pallet planks, and 3 or so 10" long, 10" diameter logs split into 4, and thats lasted til around 10pm so huge amounts of wood really isn't an issue with this design.

I think woodburners can be something like 85% efficient, and this design is a bit less (70-75% it says in the blurb) but on the flipside, its open at the front and looks fantastic, and you dont need the stainless flue. It did cost a grand though, but as far as I'm concerned, money well spent cos my fuel is free and the CH is turned down about 30% on usual.
                      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

We've got a smallish one, rated to poke out 4kW at full chat. Once the thing has been running for a couple of hours the whole chimney breast gets really warm & acts like a big storage heater for a goodly while. As has been said tho' they gobble up wood at an alarming rate. If you fit one & have access to some oak to burn, you'll be impressed with the heat o/p.
                        Happee Nude Beer

Comment

Vince [Quote] I had a can of lager last week with a splash of leomonade in it [Quote]

Cheers Vince n New Year ...

[Quote] Yoshie,Good choice Jess a real fire is lovely[Quote]
                          Not quite as big as the July Drumglog Bonfire, if I can find the right one was thinking I might bring one back from Scottyland in Feb ...

[Quote]We sell em at work, if you can get a cast iron one, they retain heat better than the steel ones.[Quote]
                          Thanks Nik, any brand names ??

Thanks for all the pointers fellas ....

There's always a Payback .... Just dont expect any warning !!!!
                          Last edited by Diezel Weazel; 1 January 2009, 16:32.
                          Buncefield Burner

Comment

This is ours - just lit it again tonight, getting a bit chilly...

Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Nice one Andy ...
                              Thanks for that but I still can't feel the heat ... could ya turn it up a bit !!!!

There's always a Payback .... Just don't expect a warning !!!!
                              Buncefield Burner

Comment

Working...
                              X