Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spare Wheel Carrier

Hello,

I have a 1995/6 4Runner and was wondering if anybody could answer a couple of questions for me, please?

I've seen the spare-wheel carrier which folds across the tailgate for sale on eBay- can you fit one to a truck which didn't come with one as standard? I always imagined the rear corner of trucks which do have them is strengthened somehow. Can you modify the tailgate to fit the carrier or do you need to get a new one?

The ride on my truck seems a bit bouncy - probably just not used to being quite that high up, yet I've read on some reviews that the standard shocks aren't the best in the World - if I was ever to replace the shocks/springs, what would be the best thing to go for?

Many thanks,

All the best,

Paul

hi paul.If your not wanting any lift then you can get the milners20% stronger springs which will lift the truck back to its normal hieght and i think they will give a slightly firmer ride.You can go for the es9000 shocks also to help with the firmer ride or the es3000's that will help give a slightly softer ride
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by N_WOF View Post
      Hello,
      I have a 1995/6 4Runner and was wondering if anybody could answer a couple of questions for me, please?

I've seen the spare-wheel carrier which folds across the tailgate for sale on eBay- can you fit one to a truck which didn't come with one as standard? I always imagined the rear corner of trucks which do have them is strengthened somehow. Can you modify the tailgate to fit the carrier or do you need to get a new one?
      Paul
      Popeye should be able to help with the wheel carrier technicalities as he's fitted one ...

On the other hand I have all the parts to do the Conversion one day...
      As I understand it, (after 1993 reinforcing was fitted to most Surfs) for this very conversion /purpose don't know about runners tho !!!!

There's always a Payback .... Just don't expect a warning !!!!
      Buncefield Burner

Comment

At least with Pauls 4runner he doesn't have to mess about with the reversing lights as they are already in with the tail light cluster so it makes things a bit easier for him.I got a tailgate and carrier here for him but i wasn't sure for certain if there is reinforcing in place ready for the carrier either.If there's not it should be easy enough i would think to put in a couple of plates to help take the wieght

Comment

[QUOTE=N_WOF;515484]Hello,

The ride on my truck seems a bit bouncy - probably just not used to being quite that high up, yet I've read on some reviews that the standard shocks aren't the best in the World - if I was ever to replace the shocks/springs, what would be the best thing to go for?

Hi mate, yes you can fit one to a smooth arse surf, bit of fiddleing about and you'll need to fit some large washers or plates to strenghten the rear panel but it works ok and i've got a 33" spare on there which takes me all my time lifting on there,
          the tail gate part is a bit more difficult unless you either get a replacement gate with the bits on or all the bits from one, i got seen off with mine, they only sent me the swing out part so unable to find anyone selling just the parts i ended up makeing them, if ya need any details let me know meanwhile heres a few pics, i made the numberplate thing from the old one
          Attached Files
          Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
            At least with Pauls 4runner he doesn't have to mess about with the reversing lights as they are already in with the tail light cluster so it makes things a bit easier for him.I got a tailgate and carrier here for him but i wasn't sure for certain if there is reinforcing in place ready for the carrier either.If there's not it should be easy enough i would think to put in a couple of plates to help take the wieght
            Mine (a K reg) hase'nt got any reinforceing, all i used was some very big round washers hammered to the shape (curve) of the panel, four large bolts on each hinge and it's quite strong, a bugger to get at in there with a spanner tho, only one i could manage was a ring spanner, socket would'nt fit in there,
            to make it easier if your getting a tailgate from richard is to fit that first, then with some help latch the swingout part in place and mark the holes that are visable onto the panel (after masking tape has been stuck on) then unlatch and carefully swing it out so you can mark the other holes,
            Last edited by POPEYE; 3 January 2009, 12:23.
            Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

The bracing inside the surf is pretty substantial. Lord Lucan was kind enough to let me cut out a rear corner of one of his breakers to remove this one. Where I've circled is where the brace is welded to the surfs body.

I'm ~pretty~ sure the tailgate has some internal bracing aswell, but haven't removed mine yet to compare to the one in my garage.

Rob.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by wishbone; 3 January 2009, 14:18.

Comment

think i'll butcher this breaker i got and see if there is any bracing in that and if not i'll butcher the other breaker and take the bracing from that and let Paul use that for his conversion

Comment

I should have added - according to this write up I'll need to cut out some metal and weld it back in after fitting the bracing.

Rob.

Comment

Bracing

That's some pretty heavy bracing - much more substantial than I thought!

Can you actually get the standard bracing parts into place by just removing the trim etc?

Richard, if you can get the bracing sections out of one of your breakers, I'd really appreciate it - is there any chance I could come over Thursday evening and pick up the tailgate & carrier - I've just been told I'm working this weekend

Thanks everyone for your help

Paul

Comment

Hi Paul.I'll get it all off and ready for you.I'll cut out the bracing sections aswell for you.Thursday should be ok.I'm waiting to hear back from Lee about the rubber for the tailgate still but i'll chase him up today about that.

Comment

You might want to also consider the fact that there is also wiring for a push button lock sensor (and dashboard light). This will alert you if the rear carrier has not been closed properly... you don’t want the wheel and carrier swinging open as you drive along.

My SSR-G Surf came with a carrier (and rear spoiler) as standard which is just as well because it would look bare without it..... almost softroaderish
                        Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Bear in mind that we're probably talking about a 3rd gen here chaps. Not sure if that makes any difference, but most of the discussion is centred around 2nd gen so far.

Comment

The Australian site had a part number for the brace so you can get a new one if you wanted to. Cant imagine why you would want to wit all these breakers about though...
                            it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Why would you want to convert to a rear spare anyway??... you gotta move it to open the tailgate!...

i just always kept my spare in the boot!
                              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
                              X