Land Cruiser Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Land Cruiser Advice

I love my Surf, but think I might like to change it for a Land Cruiser sometime next year, so I'm looking for a bit of advice before I go and pi$$ them off on the LC forums.

It's the Africa prepped one that didn't sell on eBay that's got me interested in one, I just have other stuff to spend my spare £4k on just now...

80 series seems to be the best off road, 100 series being a bit too expensive for me at the moment. Is there anything I really need to look out for, any achille's heels they have, any models or years to avoid, what year/model is the best?

Essentially any LC info or advice given will be appreciated!
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
    I love my Surf, but think I might like to change it for a Land Cruiser sometime next year, so I'm looking for a bit of advice before I go and pi$$ them off on the LC forums.

It's the Africa prepped one that didn't sell on eBay that's got me interested in one, I just have other stuff to spend my spare £4k on just now...

80 series seems to be the best off road, 100 series being a bit too expensive for me at the moment. Is there anything I really need to look out for, any achille's heels they have, any models or years to avoid, what year/model is the best?

may be better off speaking to that traitor ugly boyo , hes gone to the lc

difflocks middle front &rear why would you want one of those
    Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Originally posted by joker?? View Post
      may be better off speaking to that traitor ugly boyo , hes gone to the lc

difflocks middle front &rear why would you want one of those
      Can't think why right now, but I'm sure something will spring to mind!

Comment

Andy, spreak to George on the scottish Forum, he got a couple o Landcruisrers

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post

I owned my 80 series 24v LC for 3 years and would not hesitate to buy another,it was even slightly more economical than my previous 4runner 3.0 td which I also ran for 3 years.
          They are a superb truck and not much dearer to run than other 4x4's-proven by the fact that mine was sold a week after being traded in (despite the dealer breaking his 'no 4x4 trade-in' policy! as already very well stocked with 4x4's that aren't selling)

Comment

hey mate,

well if it was me I'd get an 80 series, 4.2 TD try to go for a Uk or arab spec one as they have the triple lockers...

The 100 series are superb as well but like u said a little more pricey..

My mate has an diesel 80 series and it is amazing, it goes everywhere...
            and just well they are superb....

No shame in trading the surf for one mate cus I think if they are honest most people on here wud love on...

oh and yeah that red one on ebay is luvely...
            One day at the time I guess..

Comment

And that overlander didn't sell? The market REALLY must have gone through the floor. That was a beauty!
              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Theyre practically giving petrol ones away and they tend to have lower mileage too. Saw one on Autotrader somewhere in Jockland for 2300 quid , 110,000 miles only and 97 reg.

Bogus
                Сви можемо

Comment

Things to watch out for (expensive ones)

Fuel Injection pump leaking - not cheap to have rebuilt , budget around £500 +
                  Suspicious tapping noises from the top of the engine that don't sound like tappets - could be big ends on the way out - however if you catch them before they destroy the engine (if they go expect a rod through the block) they are 3 hours + around £100 for parts (Big Ends and bolts).

Gearbox that doesn't work properly - I'm talking Auto here. They are exceptionally reliable however if there are major noises or clunks then they are expensive to rebuild (same for transfer case).

Lots of clunk on takeup. Could be a sloppy front diff. Again very strong and reliable and will go on for ages with a knackered front diff).

Leaks around the front swivels - need a front swivel rebuild however this is not hard or even that expensive and should be done every 60-100K miles anyway.

Apart from that they are built like brick outhouses. The 1HD-T engine if you don't have big end probolems (affects a few but is not catastrophic unless they completely go out on you) is good for 350K miles plus without major work.

One last thing, check for lots of grey smoke when you boot it - could be injectors need replacing and these cost aroun £350 to replace at a decent diesel place (or £250 per injector at Toyota plus labour).

You can't really go that wrong with an 80 especially the Diesel although the Petrol is good too especially if converted to LPG to keep the costs down). The engine is not that particular about dirty fuel as long as you change the fuel filter regularly so it's good for overlanding.

The articulation is immense so off road it's spectacular (as long as you don't run into width probles as it's a big beast).

The Axle locker actuators can stick but can generally be sorted out without replacing.

Imports will be unlikely to have front and rear lockers (although some have). most likely won't have leather electric seats but will have other toys like a fridge, front/rear split A/C (on some), some have the camping kit (fridge and cooker in the back), some have a factory 3 inch lift and 33 inch tyres, factory Winch - I retrofitted one on mine and while it is rated only at 3.6 tonnes it will do it all day.

Look at a few, don't jump for the first you see. There are a lot of abused ones out there and not so many really good ones, however the right one can be found within your budget - you could probably get an immaculate 12V 93 or 94 or maybe a later 24V one (95-98) but not in such great condition but still nice and reliable.

Have a look on www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums for further advice or have a look at http://ih8mud.com (a US site but a mine of info on Petrol and Diesel models).

I also have a site at www.landcruiser-rocks.co.uk although it's only just been relaunched with new software so it's very quiet.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                    And that overlander didn't sell? The market REALLY must have gone through the floor. That was a beauty!
                    I deffo agree with that....

Nice Lucky gonna have a look around on ur sites now....
                    Last edited by TobyJug; 27 December 2008, 13:03.
                    One day at the time I guess..

Comment

Originally posted by TobyJug View Post
                      I deffo agree with that....

Nice Jotto gonna have a look around on ur sites now....
                      Ahem, that was Lucky not Jotto - I feel another poll coming on
                      Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

I love Land Cruisers, especially the more basic models as you find in places like Africa.

My V6 petrol Surf still seems to have plenty of life left in it but if it unexpectedly goes bang I will replace it with a LC. I am not worried about fuel consumption (the V6 petrol Surf only does 17mpg) as I don’t do a lot of miles.
                        Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Lc 80

Hi best vehicle on the road had mine 11years now.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Hilux; 29 December 2008, 02:51.
                          Live Life To The Full

Comment

Thanks for all your help chaps. Lucky, thanks for the links.

So, a late model 4.2 TD 80 series, UK or Middle East spec, with Factory Fitted Winch and 3" lift is what I really want?

Comment

Alright Andy. How's things.As mentioned the BEB's( big end bearings) seem to be a problem. Most say about the 100k mark but thats only what i've heard. So if you can get one thats had em done your onto a winner.

Liftman off the clubs got one says he gets 18mpg out it!!!!!!! Thats why i got rid of the Surf 2.4 on 33's. Sticking with the Daihatsu just now as its 30+ mpg
                              www.scottishmudclub.com for scottish events

Comment

Working...
                              X