• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine out!

I'm sure of three things at the mo.
    1). This is probably the wrong place to post this,
    2). There's a post somewhere to cover this but I can't find it,
    3). Taking the engine out of an auto surf is a pig!

Just after a couple of practical tips to make the next couple of days a bit easier. Trying to remove the engine 2LTE from a Surf and struggling a bit. Are there any tips that can be offered apart from get someone else to do it? Bonnets off, rad out, batteries out, most of the bell housing bolts undone, ones round the top are buggers! Has anyone split the drive plate and torque converter to remove the engine, or just pulled the lot out in one hit? This obviously makes less mess but looking for advice from the pro's. Both engine mounts undone also and all the usual pipes cables etc. Also, there seems to be a lot of loom action round the starter. Any tips on disconnecting this lot? Many thanks lads, and if anyone needs any bits there's a complete engine to be broken up. All good and running but grumbly on big end 4. Seems fairly typical. Thanks again and have a great break!
    That'll fit!

it will help also to take the g/box crossmember off and have a jack under it to be able to move it about while getting the engine out.It is a extra job but it makes the job easier in the long run
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
      it will help also to take the g/box crossmember off and have a jack under it to be able to move it about while getting the engine out.It is a extra job but it makes the job easier in the long run
      Cheers for that. Is it possible to get to the top bell-housing bolts without the use of a small oriental native boy?
      That'll fit!

Comment

if the gearbox is free then you can tilt the engine naking the top bell housing bolts easier ................in hindsight a bodylift helps
        ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Originally posted by BioHazard View Post
          if the gearbox is free then you can tilt the engine naking the top bell housing bolts easier ................in hindsight a bodylift helps
          Funny you should say that. I was only thinking that last night as I struggled like buggery! Body lift next on the menu with some bigger tyres then its playtime....lets get the poxy engine out first tho eh!
          That'll fit!

Comment

Originally posted by scudmonkey View Post
            Funny you should say that. I was only thinking that last night as I struggled like buggery! Body lift next on the menu with some bigger tyres then its playtime....lets get the poxy engine out first tho eh!
            get ronny corbet in to remove yor top bell end bolts, thats what my son calls them, seriosly undo your flex plate bolts and push the torque converter back into the g box otherwise you will ruin the torq converter front seal
            JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

I just lifted the whole lot out in one go, transfer box included.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                I just lifted the whole lot out in one go, transfer box included.
                Had thought of that but too late in the game. Don't have enough room in the garage now to do that so its struggle on. But thanks to you all for the tips. Would I buy another Surf? Probably. Would I do this job again? Probably. It's always easier second time round. And there's only rubbish films on TV today anyway
                That'll fit!

Comment

Originally posted by lord lucan View Post
                  get ronny corbet in to remove yor top bell end bolts, thats what my son calls them, seriosly undo your flex plate bolts and push the torque converter back into the g box otherwise you will ruin the torq converter front seal
                  What you mean my mate Ronnie, Al see what i can do for you
                  Attached Files

Comment

And just to make matters worse.......
                    Got the old engine out after a bit of a struggle first time and all that, went to fit the replacement, got it in, gearbox jacked up, everything out the way, you know the drill. Lowered the engine in got it squared up and nearly fitting onto the box. Bit more of a struggle. All the usual wiggling and shoving, raising and lowering recalling the days when I could do a clutch on an MGB in under three hours. How difficult can this be? Another hour of struggling so a cup of tea is in order. Sitting there looking at the end of the old crank and you guessed it. Theres a hole there for the end of the torgue converter to locate into. And guess what? The replacement lump hasn't got one! The front of the converter that was fitted has sheared off and stuck itself in the end of the crank. ###### marvellous! Can i shift it? Can I get a grip in the stub? More chance of tea with the Queen! Now I have to wait for the bloke I bought it off to try and get someone down here to collect and repair it. Rowlocks! Two engines out....no room left to move in the garage...a hoist on hire now for a week or so....Argh!!!
                    That'll fit!

Comment

Is it just a tourqe converter you need?
                      www.cnpbetterhomes.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger View Post
                        Is it just a tourqe converter you need?
                        Sadly not. The front of the old torque converter is jammed into the end of the replacement engine crank. The converter on my box is fine. The problem is removing the sheared off TQ end from the hole in the end of the crank. Its all turning into a bit of a mare!
                        That'll fit!

Comment

Just to say a quick thank you to all the members who offered advice and tips. all done and running smooth. And the torque converter stub jammed in the crank? Well the man who supplied the engine drove down from Coventry, collected it, did the job and drove it back to be on NY eve. Now that's service! He breaks quite a few Surfs so if anyone needs another contact let me know. I think he's pretty good.
                          That'll fit!

Comment

And I've seen you out and about in the Surf . Stop eating those burgers from that burger van on the A10 Paul , theyre no good for you .
                            Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2 View Post
                              And I've seen you out and about in the Surf . Stop eating those burgers from that burger van on the A10 Paul , theyre no good for you .
                              But the crispy bacon rolls are spot-on! A man has to have some breakfast to help him stay alert during those wonderful management meetings. How are you anyway mate? Big tyres on the truck next then hopefully some playtime....
                              That'll fit!

Comment

Working...
                              X