Personal Import..........Final Instalment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal Import..........Final Instalment

Well for those of you who knew I was importing my Surf it has successfully passed the SVA test today first time, and the MOT.

So should be receiving registration in a couple of days.

First couple of problems, but only minor. Rear electric mirror not working and high level brake light, can only assume these are bulb snd fuse orientated......I hope ......or possibly the motor in the mirror housing ???

so hopefully will be able to discuss surfs good and bad points (are there any bad points?, don't think so) pretty soon

cheers

Fieldsy

Originally posted by Fieldsy
    Well for those of you who knew I was importing my Surf it has successfully passed the SVA test today first time, and the MOT.

First couple of problems, but only minor. Rear electric mirror not working and high level brake light, can only assume these are bulb snd fuse orientated......I hope ......or possibly the motor in the mirror housing ???

so hopefully will be able to discuss surfs good and bad points (are there any bad points?, don't think so) pretty soon

cheers

Fieldsy
    Nice one!! Bet you can't wait!!

So on the whole - would you saying importing your own was a better thing to do than buying from a dealer?

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

yeah, to be honest Linda, it gave a bit of a buzz doing it yourself, and saved a bit of cash, and would definately do it again. Ended up with a nice tidy motor which I'm very pleased with. I admit its all a bit of a gamble, but then buying any car is isn't it. You just don't get the warranty...................but whats that worth?

cheers

Fieldsy

Comment

How did you go about doing it?

I was thinking of doing it myself but as i have mentioned b4 i am thick and lazy so i didnt - might be good to have a write up of your experience for the FAQ tho?

Comment

Originally posted by Fieldsy

cheers

Fieldsy
          as they're both part of the spoiler i'd imagine a plug's come loose somewhere... take off the trim arount the tailgate inerior light (screws under lens and pull) and you can trace the wire through there.
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

nice one

well done m8 so if ya got time fancy coming over to the pit next month ya dont have to get it dirty lol just have a good chat n meet a few of us over a coffee and we can gawp at ya motor lol
            black n tan
            black n tan
            yes i am a dobermann man

Comment

thanks dabigman, will have a go at that m8, cheers m8.

@sly, would like to meet up m8, didn't have much time to enjoy the other one before my missus introduced it to tree hugging.

I'll post some pics when its at home.

cheers

Fieldsy

Comment

importing

Hi Folks importing is quite easy its just having the bottle to have ago, you just need to check out the SVA laws before you buy, lf you do most of the running round and the work you can save alot of money.
                Live Life To The Full

Comment

The only minor problem we came up against was getting a model report, they wanted to charge us £1500 for that particular car, but thanks to the wonders of the internet we obtained one which was rented to us for £50 and then passed on to the sva centre at Chelmsford.

As Hilux has said its having the bottle to do it and having a go. I like challenges, so thought I would have a go, but I did get a lot of useful information from members of this forum, thanks folks, you know who you are

As much as I would like to share the experience, I know there are members on here who do sell vehicles and having spoken to one of them many months ago I advised him that I don't want to step on anyones toes and stop the opportunity of their sales by a mass exodus of people jumping on to japanese auction sites, so I wouldn't be writing a step by step guide.

I researched a lot on the internet and asked a lot of questions and found all the answers I needed to start the project myself. It can be done.

So with respect to the members who were on this forum and selling vehicles long before I was on the scene I won't be posting a HOW TO section. I understand people would like to try it but hope you can respect the reason why I won't be giving a detailed post.

cheers

Fieldsy.

Comment

Working...
                  X