Anyone here use Reason 4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
    I'm only an amateur as far as creation goes, but I'd be looking at your maximum budget and spending 20% on a sound card, 20% on speakers (you ned a sub!) and 60% on amps. Then build up from there.

What you play it back from, or on, isn't a huge issue. The mistakes are made and quality gained at creation. Think Prodigy and Faithless, you can bet your ass they spend more on their creation equipment than they do on their laptops and soundstages?
    Im not even sure what soundcard i have. Its half decent but thats about all i know! changed the PC a while back. Upped the budget a bit to gain more power etc. Seems to be well worth it so far.

Im taking it easy with Reason so far. Mostly using the redrum to make some funky beats up. Just getting used to the interface. I've been doing guitar stuff at home for yeeears now.

Started off with a Boss BR-1180 studio. Fantastic bit of kit. Teamed up with a roland DR-3 drum machine to just add a bit of depth to it all.

PC recording is so much easier. Only slight issue is a usb powered mixer might be a nice addition. Having to go into the rack window an fiddle every two seconds is already starting to get annoying an i've hardly taken off with it yet!!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
      I thought they spent more on that white powdery stuff.

I dont like drugs

Comment

I like old valve amps, like Orange (one amp and speaker for each channel), and Electrovoice Eliminators. Proper Old School! No separite subs, but by christ they could rattle your guts to bits.
        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
          I like old valve amps, like Orange (one amp and speaker for each channel), and Electrovoice Eliminators. Proper Old School! No separite subs, but by christ they could rattle your guts to bits.
          I know what you mean.

Ive got a JCM900. Duel reverb model. The PCB actually cracked from the vibrations that it puts out!!

Great bit of kit.

The Valves died an i put another set in after the guy said about a lil bit more crunch... They were shocking!! Big mistake.

Comment

I used to hang my Eliminators from the ceiling joists. If you've never heard a quad of them them at full pelt, you've never lived!
            Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

See Rod old rockers never die, underneath that 2foot long grey ponytail lives a legend
              Brian

Comment

Can't help with Reason. We're running ProTools & Logic on a G4 with a Yamaha 02R96 as the surface, Also HD24 for recording live. Monitors are Tannoy Little Reds & Reveal Actives...
                If you're interested in the stuff we play with www.audio-alchemy.co.uk.
                Perhaps the Surf forum is not the place to chat pro music kit tho!
                Check out the www.blue-room.org.uk sound forum

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post
                  Using a controller keyboard (basically a keyboard but with no speakers and no sounds)
                  We called those 'pianos' in my day.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
                    We called those 'pianos' in my day.
                    Quality as always mate.
                    Brian

Comment

If you're gonna be creating or recording music I'd forget multimedia speakers and separate amps completely and go for a decent set of active studio monitors that you can add a sub to later.

Unless you're producing drum and bass, dubstep or other serious dance music you shouldn't need a sub to start off with (obviously very nice to have though!).

Soundcard wise, there's a lot of decent firewire stuff out now so it's easy to use out and about on a laptop or at home on a desktop. What to look for really depends if you need nice microphone inputs for recording things or not.

Once you've got your sequencing basics down in Reason it's just a case of playing with all the lovely toys they give you and layering up sounds to create something good.

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post
                        Just wanted to know if anyone here used Reason 4?

Could do with some tips!!

Got it the other day an its fricking amazing!!!!
                        I'm still using Reason version 1.0 along with Ableton Live as heard at :

http:www.myspace.com/arisen1

All the tracks on here were created/written/produced by yours truly using the above software.