Funny noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funny noise

Just took the truck for it's mot (it passed) and on the way back it developed an odd noise, like a rubbing noise in time with the speed the wheels are rotating, sounded like a steam engine on an incline, chugging sound, loud enough to turn peoples heads as i approached, it's faded to a low sound now, had a look and can see nothing obvious and it did'nt do it on the way there, what do you think? anyone had similar? wondered if the rolling road had done summat,
    mot was fine, advisory on the pads and he had to mention the sticky out tyres, but all ok, the tyre place has now upgraded their test/balencing equ so they can now balance my wheels and do the tracking/camber etc, booking in after xmas, the fronts are visibly bowed in at the bottom, rides very hard and the steering very light, may have to upgrade the damper, i dropped the tyre pressure down to 30psi from 35 and still light

apart from the annoying noise a happy day
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Judging by the size of your vehicle you may have a small car such as a "Smart" or a Fiat 500 wedged under one of the wheel arches......just lever it out with a crow-bar or a lenght of 2 x 4...

Comment

did you check to see if the hubs are a bit well warm
      hubs get hot if they rubbing and make a noise like some one hammer drilling ya front wheels
      am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

have you had the tracking checked out Ian as the bigger tyres may of thrown it out a bit
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Had a quick look under there and cant see a small car
          the front wheels (which is where the noise seems to be from) seem free enough, i have the lockers on freewheeling, the test guy did say theres slight wobble on the fronts (the pointers on his gauges were quivering a bit on brakeing) he said it may be slightly warped discs, but the wheels aint been ballanced and the tracking/camber likewise, so i thought it was that,, odd it only started after the mot, the guy did'nt do owt wrong i'm sure, i was there all the time, he spent more time admireing the truck and asking question than he did moting it, we'll see it'll either get worse or dissapear

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
            have you had the tracking checked out Ian as the bigger tyres may of thrown it out a bit
            No mate! booking it in after xmas, wont need it much till then, the wheels are visibly bowed in, looking top to bottom not front on (toe in) like when ya have it jacked up with the wheels hanging, drives fine, brakes in a stright line etc, steering's really light, up rated damper????

Comment

35psi is too high Ian. 30 - 32 is ideal.

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                No mate! booking it in after xmas, wont need it much till then, the wheels are visibly bowed in, looking top to bottom not front on (toe in) like when ya have it jacked up with the wheels hanging, drives fine, brakes in a stright line etc, steering's really light, up rated damper????
                That'll be the B/J spacers causing that.

Comment

Its not your wife trying to get in the damn thing with you driving off is it mate?!

I know you said she might have issues getting in!!

Comment

Dropped em to 30psi vince,
                    she's only seen it through the kitchen window Rod, and she already has issues

Comment

just a though ian have you tried locking the hubs and driving.if the hubs arnt locked in or out properly they will make a clicking noise.
                      www.overfab.uk

Comment

I'll give it a go Mark, i did notice on the rolling road the shafts were turning slowly, i suppose it's just kenetic energy/friction, the sound it made was just like a steam engine under load,

odd thing is it was fine before i went, drove it round the estate this morning and no noise at all,

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                          I'll give it a go Mark, i did notice on the rolling road the shafts were turning slowly, i suppose it's just kenetic energy/friction, the sound it made was just like a steam engine under load,

odd thing is it was fine before i went, drove it round the estate this morning and no noise at all,
                          most mot testers will engage 4wd when brake testing,i know mine does and a few others do to.chances are he didnt quite disengage the hubs properly.
                          www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
                            most mot testers will engage 4wd when brake testing,i know mine does and a few others do to.chances are he didnt quite disengage the hubs properly.
                            He never touched the hubs Mark i was along side the whole time their both on 4x2, anyway mate once it's taxed i'll give it a good run, cheers

Comment

oh well never mind mate just a thought.im sure you'll find the prob,hope its nothing major.
                              www.overfab.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X