cossie experience..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cossie experience..??

looking at buying a 2wd cossie, any (constructive..lol) advice..??

Ive had a few RS's, but never a cossie..my plan is to run it for a yr or two while i build some fundage, then use it as a donor for a westfield build. Ive lusted after an Ariel Atom for the past 6yrs, but i think my chances of ever owning one are pretty slim. A cossie powered westie should provide a similar experience albeit samey lotus 7 looks..
    Last edited by an1mal_69; 23 December 2008, 12:07.

nice one Nik.....

I will have to come and see the progress.....
    One day at the time I guess..

Comment

Did you see the Westie (or was it a Caterham?) on Top Gear a bit back? Fastest thing they've had on their track - and they've had an Atom on there...

I always fancied a Westie after seeing the Megabusa (?) at a hillclimb a few times. Twin bike-engined with starship-like acceleration. This one was all CF and for sale! Sadly he stuffed it into armco at about 70mph and no-one seemed keen on buying it then...
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

It was a Caterham. It caused a bit of a furore on the Rover 75 and MG ZT forum, let me tell you. They were all up in arms that Hammond had dared to imply that people who build kit cars were nerds. I told them that I didn't think the Rover 75 owner's clud was necessarily the place to discuss what is and isn't cool and I'm surprised I didn't get a life ban. Dereks and Brians up and down the country are still shaking their heads.

Apparently, this is the fastest car in the world, but there is a Top Gear conspiracy not to tell anyone:

http://www.ultimasports.co.uk/gtr/index.html

Comment

RC 500 Andy
          Brian

Comment

"this is one of the easiest cars in the world to construct by somebody with no previous mechanical or car building experience"

Would you want to ride in the worlds fastest accelerating car build by someone with no mechanical experience?

The 'RC500 Andy'? Awww, they named a car after me

Comment

actually its the R500

now the veritas rs3 - as featured on TG is the dogs.
              Last edited by blackpoolsparks; 16 December 2008, 13:00.
              私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

I thought it was horrid.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                  I thought it was horrid.
                  Me too. Ugly ugly ugly.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpoolsparks View Post
                    actually its the R500

now the veritas rs3 - as featured on TG resembles a dogs c@?$k.
                    your too right there
                    PayPal for stickers : scuffsnscrapes@hotmail.com

Comment

my experience is modified above 400bhp get very unreliable,and often ragged,standard with full history is the way to go,but yr lookin at atleast 6 grand for a decent one with under 100k on the clock,my opinion?yr nuts,you will either end up with a cheap one that needs engine rebuild and car full of rot,or a decent one that would make no sense ripping apart

Comment

Hi Nik

We had one for a couple of years - Rich said he will give you a call if you fancy, as its a bit of a minefield.
                        How can I be lost when I've got no where to go

Comment

ok, cool..

do you ever get on MSN..??

could chat & show which ones i been sniffin at.

Comment

buying a west field or caterham is like buying tomtom satnav - its the one everyone has heard of, but not necessarily the best, and almost certainly not the best value for money.

I've nearly finished building my tiger supercat (another lotus seven replica) and though not as perfect as a caterham, it will be on the road in a month or so having cost me about £6000.

as you're in north wales, i seriously recomend popping over to buckley where chestersports cars are based. they are the northwest dealer of all Tiger models, plus some other kit cars. Graham is very knowledgeable and will tell you honestly what he thinks.

personally if i were to do it again, i'd never consider a heavy car engine, especially with the associated installaiton prob of a cossie with it turbo etc.

i'd either chuck a zx10r motor bike engine in or and R1, then you have about 190bhp in a 400kg car = 475 bhp per tonne for under £15k.

or if you do want a car engine, a ford duratec, they can be tuned and turbo'd up past 300bhp, really reliable and light.

have a word on www.locostbuilders.co.uk . ones of the best forums ever (besides this one of course!)

If you need a hand with anything, the guy who pulled me out when i got stuck with mine and virtually built the car for me lives in great sutton near ellesmere port and is a top bloke.

all the best,

Martin

PS. this s what Tiger are known for: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=u3qtfY0Ps74
                            Just trying to raise my postcount!

Comment

Could always go for the light twin turbo mazda rx7 fd3s-the last gen befor the rx8 engine very light(i can lift and carry it a short distance!)standard 280bhp and at 450bhp still pretty realible if looked after correctly

Rotary all the way and if you have large ports in the to you get a very unique brap brap brap engine note that i just make a mess in my pants everytime i hear it

Comment

Working...
                              X