3rd gen transfer lever ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd gen transfer lever ?

Hi all am on the way to view a Surf (from the for sale section on here)

Please can someone describe the transfer lever to me on a 3rd gen auto

I have looked through the faqs but cannot find a suitable pic or info

How can I tell if it has multi mode 4wd?

Thanks

It's plastic, about 8 inches high, to the left of the gear lever....has a button on the side of it...

Pull back leave button out for Hi-2, push button in for Hi-4, push forward for L-4....

What do you mean by multimode 4WD?
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer View Post
      It's plastic, about 8 inches high, to the left of the gear lever....has a button on the side of it...

Pull back leave button out for Hi-2, push button in for Hi-4, push forward for L-4....

What do you mean by multimode 4WD?
      Thanks but at what point is the diff locked or unlocked but still be in 4wd

As in how do you lock the diff. Or what position are the levers in for 4wd but unlocked diff?

Forgive the crap grammar. Am on a train on a blackberry

Comment

Originally posted by Ava_Banana View Post
        Thanks but at what point is the diff locked or unlocked but still be in 4wd

As in how do you lock the diff. Or what position are the levers in for 4wd but unlocked diff?

Forgive the crap grammar. Am on a train on a blackberry
        Do you need one of those special cusions if you've got blackberrys?

I don't know - I can pop out and have a look at Nina's - but don't know when the diffs are locked - the centre one I think is only if 4WD is engaged, prob the same as the front....just with the button pressed in ....
        Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

forward is 2wd
          button pressed is 4wd open diff
          pull back for 4wd locked diff
          back and to the side is low range 4wd diff locked

don't think of it as a diff... it locks the 2 props together to you have equal 50-50 drive to front and rear... not a cross axle difflock
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man View Post
            forward is 2wd
            button pressed is 4wd open diff
            pull back for 4wd locked diff
            back and to the side is low range 4wd diff locked

don't think of it as a diff... it locks the 2 props together to you have equal 50-50 drive to front and rear... not a cross axle difflock
            ...err...thanks I think....

...I have just got it home (3 hour drive) and will have a look tomorrow to see if I can work it out.

...at the end of the day I will so rarely use 4wd.

Comment

welcome to the 3gen way of life.
              get used to the hairdresser jokes but the joke is on them..........unless they have a V8 surf
              Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Originally posted by mud skipper View Post
                welcome to the 3gen way of life.
                get used to the hairdresser jokes but the joke is on them..........unless they have a V8 surf
                Thanks........I was hoping to avoid the hairdresser quips.....but never mind

...you say you have a YZF in your sig........YZF as in ThunderCat?

Comment

Two questions, one already asked on another thread, and one congrats. Well done for choosing the 3rd gen ( the non agricultural Surf option )

1- Are those 2nd gen lookalike wheels 16" ? or are they in fact standard 2nd gen 15"

2. Why cant I see a hole in the bumper for the winder mechanism for the underslung spare. The 2nd gens with underslungs had it ? Is this not the case for the 3rd gen or has the bumper been replaced at some point ?

For anybody who is not with this, the pics were on the for sale thread.

Bogus
                  Сви можемо

Comment

Bet the heated rollers in the glove box are missing

1st gen........................han d on tool
                    2nd gen .......................head in hands
                    3rd gen ........................hand on hip

CIR Joker?? 2008
                    ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
                      Two questions, one already asked on another thread, and one congrats. Well done for choosing the 3rd gen ( the non agricultural Surf option )

1- Are those 2nd gen lookalike wheels 16" ? or are they in fact standard 2nd gen 15"

2. Why cant I see a hole in the bumper for the winder mechanism for the underslung spare. The 2nd gens with underslungs had it ? Is this not the case for the 3rd gen or has the bumper been replaced at some point ?

For anybody who is not with this, the pics were on the for sale thread.

Bogus

Only picked it up this aftenoon and drove the 215 miles home in it in the pouring rain and darkness.

The wheels do look like the 2nd gen ones and are 15 inch (well the tyres are 15inch tyres (nice fat ones ). The vehicle does definately have disks at the front and drums at the rear, but then so did the 2nd gens.

My guess is that it is a very early 3rd gen.........do the 2nd gen wheels fit straight on (is the pcd the same?)...if they do, then the dealer may have swapped around wheels prior to the guy I bought it off getting it....I don't know if they are interchangeable.

...either way......I am well chuffed with it

..edit:...

oh and I forgot to ask how to lower the wheel should I need to change it

Comment

front brake discs are bigger on a 3rd gen thats why they have 16" wheels

I think
                        Last edited by BioHazard; 13 December 2008, 23:03.
                        ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

it sure does refer to a YZF600R Thundercat
                          see pic
                          Last edited by mud skipper; 12 March 2009, 00:12.

Comment

Originally posted by mud skipper View Post
                            it sure does refer to a YZF600R Thundercat
                            see pic
                            Ahh coolio...thought so....

...I had one for a few years...p/x'ed it for my FireBlade a couple of years ago, then sold that and bought the Surf yesterday.

...do you go on the Thundercat MSN forum at all? I used to post there quite a bit.

And Bio.....my surf has 15 inch wheels....I think I'll have to take a few bits off it to see what is what.....it is a 3rd Gen with 15 inch wheels.

Comment

cheers for that i use the bikers oracle site, will try the msn one

as far as i know
                              15" wont fit a 3 gen coz of the disc size, mines on 16's and theres not much clearance. check it out but dont lose any sleep over it, as you say yours is an early one

Comment

Working...
                              X