Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• this weekends mods.

wheel spacers!
    i'm really happy with the improved conering but i've noticed a couple of noisy tyre rubs coming from the front on full lock. hopefully when i get the 2" rear lift on next weekend i'll be able to jack the torsion bar at the front and cure this. fingers crossed.

pics:

before

after

before

after

can't wait until next week.
    black 1995 ssrx 3.0ltd

you can help me do my 2" lift the week after if you like
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

lift

il help you with ya lift marky i got some old platform shoes from the seventies here if ya want m there about 2 inches lol
      black n tan
      black n tan
      yes i am a dobermann man

Comment

are they them blue ones you wear on saturday nights mate
        (\__/)
        (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by happythrasher
          wheel spacers!
          i'm really happy with the improved conering but i've noticed a couple of noisy tyre rubs coming from the front on full lock. hopefully when i get the 2" rear lift on next weekend i'll be able to jack the torsion bar at the front and cure this. fingers crossed.
          Looks miles better!! I need some... TONY!!!!

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

if i wasnt off to sunny california marky, you'd be on!
            just out of interest, where did you get your bits from and how much did they cost? i ended up going to bronco 4x4 in leek and paid about £210 for springs, es9000 shocks and plastic covers but i believe there's a place in lymm that might have been cheaper.

linda, even though we know black ones are best already order them NOW!

if it wasn't for this damn forum i'd never have even have heard of wheel spacers or 2" lifts.
            you people are costing me a fortune!
            black 1995 ssrx 3.0ltd

Comment

procomp is in lymm but not much cheaper than what you have paid
              (\__/)
              (")_(")

Comment

Hate the way the wheels are lost in wide body Surfs, wheel spacers are definatly the answer if you don't wanna spring for wider wheels, or ones with different offset.

Coming soon to a black Surf near you.............

A note though, the spacer is narrower than the original wheel, make sure the nut is done up, not botteming inside the bolts you bolted it to the hubs with (if you used the original wheel nuts, much like the problem Elvz had awhile back) On pickups, we had to cut about 1/2" of the studs so they do up. Shearing wheel studs frequently is a clue if you have this problem.

Its rubbing cos you have moved the outside of the wheel out further, its nearer to the bulkhead and front bumper on full lock. A lift or a grinder is the only cure!!
                4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                  Hate the way the wheels are lost in wide body Surfs, wheel spacers are definatly the answer if you don't wanna spring for wider wheels, or ones with different offset.

Coming soon to a black Surf near you.............

A note though, the spacer is narrower than the original wheel, make sure the nut is done up, not botteming inside the bolts you bolted it to the hubs with (if you used the original wheel nuts, much like the problem Elvz had awhile back) On pickups, we had to cut about 1/2" of the studs so they do up. Shearing wheel studs frequently is a clue if you have this problem.

Its rubbing cos you have moved the outside of the wheel out further, its nearer to the bulkhead and front bumper on full lock. A lift or a grinder is the only cure!!
                  Please point me in the right direction on this Tony. Would it be possible or even practicable to fit 2" spacers on the rear wheels only, a wider stance & some improved cornering, without the problems of wheel/arch contact on the front?

Fish
                  If it smells like fish, eat it!

Comment

Could'nt say for sure, you need to try it, buy some cheap spacers that just go between the wheels and hubs, it you think it makes any difference, you can buy proper bolt on spacers.

What handling issues do you have with your Surf, I've found them to be better than most 4x4's of a similar class. are you sure your shocks/anti-roll bars/tyres/steering components arn't knackered?

Not sure 30cm of wheel spacer will make that much difference.
                    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Could'nt say for sure, you need to try it, buy some cheap spacers that just go between the wheels and hubs, it you think it makes any difference, you can buy proper bolt on spacers.

What handling issues do you have with your Surf, I've found them to be better than most 4x4's of a similar class. are you sure your shocks/anti-roll bars/tyres/steering components arn't knackered?

As the wife has a dizy and my last 4x4 was a Musso, I have no issues at all with the handeling of my Surf! I was only wondering why people fit spacers, most report that the front wheels catch but handling improves overall, and as I have wide 16" tyres on already,(which can rub on the front when going over very lumpy turns), I was just wondering if there would be any benifit with spacers or is it realy a cosmetic thing with a wider stance?

Fish
                      If it smells like fish, eat it!

Comment

I would have thought that 30cm spacers would be sure to make a difference. Apart from anything else you'd need two parking spaces
                        Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Originally posted by happythrasher
                          linda, even though we know black ones are best already order them NOW!

if it wasn't for this damn forum i'd never have even have heard of wheel spacers or 2" lifts.
                          you people are costing me a fortune!
                          They've been on the "I want" list for a while.. (since I did the lift the wheels look "thin" ) but we have been spending all our spare cash on getting the grey surf finished and on the road, so I guess spacers are a luxury that will have to wait... Sliders on the other hand are more likely to be reality sooner as the tube and bender arrived Sunday!!!

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

I WASgoing to give my old girl a bit of TLC after the easter bash, you know change diff oil gearbox goo and such like BUTbut ended up painting the new suzi garage (dinning room extention)instead,cant do it over the bank holiday either cos I got to fit the new kitchen.However the weekend after its collect the axel for the sammi and manual locking hubs for my baby to replace the auto locking ones I got.
                            sorry about the noise but Dave the plummer is putting some pipes for the new kitchen and radiators.

suffering sumo.
                            If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

Originally posted by Linda
                              They've been on the "I want" list for a while.. (since I did the lift the wheels look "thin" ) but we have been spending all our spare cash on getting the grey surf finished and on the road, so I guess spacers are a luxury that will have to wait... Sliders on the other hand are more likely to be reality sooner as the tube and bender arrived Sunday!!!

that's just tony's influence... he told me my wheels looked thin and then told my mate so that then my mate would keep on till i get some more!
                              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
                              X