Front number plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front number plate

Just a quickie to check on the front plate situation. Are those stick on bonnet types legal, and if so, what is the best placement for them? Also, which shape is best for the bonnet, i.e: square or rectangular?

The one on the Jaos bars had a slight incident, so thought it might be worthwhile making it a bit more resilient when it's replaced.

I don't know the answer, but after I cracked mine on a Danno outing I got the maintance deptment to make a double thickness steel backing plate. It survived two Woodzie (before he became a Hazard Bio ) outings.
    Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Apparently they are not legal... but that does not mean that you will be automatically pulled over by the police. Part of the problem is the police ANPR cameras might not be able to read them.
      I also own an early Mazda MX5 and I know some owners have stick on plates. here is a link that might be of use (though it does go on about import plates as well).
      http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/index.p...l=number+plate Post #4 has links to the DVLA site dealing with number plates.
      Last edited by PDR; 8 December 2008, 12:09.
      Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

yes they are illeagl, there are still some places that will sell them though and whether or not you get pulled over for them is another thing, i never did when i had one on my mx5.

i believe this is because they used to be accepted and legal up to a certain date, so anything prior to that which has them on was ok, you just cant replace them with the same now.

so, just say they were allready on car as long as its old enough.

Comment

Originally posted by NEZ View Post
          so, just say they were allready on car as long as its old enough.
          Any idea what age of vehicle they may be applicable to?

Comment

i know 1996 cars are ok as mine was but i am not sure of the exact year.

Comment

Not legal, all number plates on vehicle made after 01/01/73 must be made of a reflex reflecting material stick on ones are not.

Can be issued with a fixed penalty notice up to £1000 and in some cases they number plate mark can be withdrawn.

As far as I am aware the law states a vehicle must display a front and rear number plate meeting the legal requirements.
              Front plate must fixed to the front of the vehicle in a 'verticle' position. So id you fixed it on the bonnet it will be more like 40 degrees and not verticle.
              Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
              My choice
              Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi View Post
                Not legal, all number plates on vehicle made after 01/01/73 must be made of a reflex reflecting material stick on ones are not.

Can be issued with a fixed penalty notice up to £1000 and in some cases they number plate mark can be withdrawn.

As far as I am aware the law states a vehicle must display a front and rear number plate meeting the legal requirements.
                Front plate must fixed to the front of the vehicle in a 'verticle' position. So id you fixed it on the bonnet it will be more like 40 degrees and not verticle.
                so why is this not an mot issue??

mine always passed and our number plate suppliers sold them until a few years ago when they became illegal?

Comment

so why is this not an mot issue??

mine always passed and our number plate suppliers sold them until a few years ago when they became illegal?
                  It should be an mot issue, they, strictly speaking should not pass any vehicle with number plates that do not conform to the new legislation.
                  Only exempt vehicles are pre 01/01/73 where the can still have the very old style of number plates that are not reflex reflective.
                  Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                  My choice
                  Back off

Comment

The nature of the plate is not an MOT issue. They look at format, legibility, size, fixings etc etc, but not what it's made of.

It is, however, illegal to have a stickly plate, as outlined above. Kind of like sticky-out wheels; not an MOT fail, but still illegal.

Comment

it really is a joke isnt it.
                      you can pass an mot yet your car can still be illegal to drive on the road.

pants eh

Comment

it really is a joke isnt it.
                        you can pass an mot yet your car can still be illegal to drive on the road.

pants eh
                        Not really, The MOT is primarily to ensure that your car is not in an unsafe condition, theres a variety of things that could make it illegal to drive on the road, which are not and dont really need to be covered by the MOT. Although the MOT can be a PIA I think its a good thing. Ive lived in countries where the annual test is pretty much a joke which involves some disinterested gun toting plod simply looking at the car and maybe asking you to blow the horn, or put the lights on, and strangely enough those countries have the most horrendous road death rates and the most spectacular accidents

Bogus
                        Сви можемо

Comment

Solid plate it is then. What docs do you need to take with you to get a plate made up these days?

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                            Solid plate it is then. What docs do you need to take with you to get a plate made up these days?
                            licence and log book are the easiest 2.

Comment

licence and log book are the easiest 2.
                              Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                              X