Any ideas gents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas gents

This morning on my way home from work I noticed a bit of a strange noise from the engine, sort of knocking rattle. Stopped to have a look see if anything was loose or about to fall off but couldn't see anything. Noise appeared to be coming from around the viscous fans area. Went on my way with a bit of a twitch in my left eye, could do without anything expensive at the moment. Then a short while later a loud screaming noise like belts slipping started and the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree. Pulled over and shut engine off and had another look under the bonnet. Started engine again, screaming continued and it appeared that the fan pulley wasn't moving for a few seconds then started moving again, screaming stopped and loud rattle started again. Drove home very slowly. So the question is , what could be the problem so I don't look too much of an idiot when I try to explain to the garage tomorrow and will it bankrupt me.

Cheers in anticipation of wisdom. Spoggle

Alternator belts loose.

Comment

Could be the water pump? isn't that behind the fan, that would cause a rattle and could cause the belt to slip, or simply the belt loose?

But if it makes the dashboard light up i would agree with Bushwhacker, one or both of the alternator belts
      Last edited by roylittle0; 7 December 2008, 16:33.
      Roy
      When ya stop having fun, Ya start getting old

Comment

Originally posted by roylittle0 View Post
        Could be the water pump? isn't that behind the fan, that would cause a rattle and could cause the belt to slip, or simply the belt loose?

But if it makes the dashboard light up i would agree with Bushwhacker, one or both of the alternator belts
        Cheers gents. Both the belts are still in place but have to say they appear to have a bit of play on them. But would that cause the rattling noise, or could it be a bit more sinister.......sorry cant help it ,I know I'm paranoid.

Spoggle

Comment

When I had a problem with mine, i noticed that the the battery charge indicator was low and there was a red light on the dashboard, both belts were on but the back one was loose and obviously the front one was not brill, caused me know end of problems and all it was, was the alternator belts needed replacing, also noticed that there is a top pulley that seems to run free by one of the belts that was causing some noise.
          Roy
          When ya stop having fun, Ya start getting old

Comment

If I were you I would have a close look at the bottom pulley, it sounds like the rubber damper coupling might have let go, either that or there is a slight possibility that the alternator could have siezed, you can tell if that is the case by trying to turn the pulley by hand, to check the bottom pulley, grasp it with both hands and try to turn it, if it turns freely without the engine turning as well then there's your answer!! You may also be able to feel some free play by trying to rock the pulley from side to side.
            Hope this helps.
            Regards, John.

Comment

Originally posted by bowella View Post
              If I were you I would have a close look at the bottom pulley, it sounds like the rubber damper coupling might have let go, either that or there is a slight possibility that the alternator could have siezed, you can tell if that is the case by trying to turn the pulley by hand, to check the bottom pulley, grasp it with both hands and try to turn it, if it turns freely without the engine turning as well then there's your answer!! You may also be able to feel some free play by trying to rock the pulley from side to side.
              Hope this helps.
              Regards, John.
              Yeah had that little tinker go about 3 years ago, made a hell of a clunking noise, cost an arm and two legs to get a new pulley fitted too. Have had the odd squeal when have been restarting the engine when warm so I think it could be the alternator. Rattling sounds like a bearing to me. Will have to get local garage to have a look in the morning, it's my mates turn in the car sharing pool this week, so at least I can get to work to pay for the damage. On the other hand may look for a 3ltr, should be some good uns at reasonable price around at the moment.

Spoggle

Comment

10/10 gents. Guy at the garage says the water pump is causing the rattling and knocking and the alternator was a bit loose. It appears that the adjusting bolt under the alternator had come loose so the belts were a bit slack. Should be fixed by the time I get home from work tomorrow. All I have to do now is pay the guy

Spoggle

Comment

Well she's back on the road again, picked her up from the garage tonight. New water pump fitted, when they eventually got the right one, and a nice new timing belt to go with .Thought it was a bit daft to have it all stripped down and not bother with the timing belt. But it looks as though it's gonna be an oxo cube for Christmas dinner this year cos the bill came in at £340 £210 of which was for labour and of course £40 VAT. But if I didn't get her fixed I couldn't get to work, so I'd be even worse off. But on the bright side I saw diesel at 99.9p today so at least it wont cost me £70 a week just to get there now. But still think somewhere along the line I've been had.

But such is life. Spoggle

Comment

210 quid for a few hours work????

Gotta get me a bigger workshop!

Comment

And £90 for a water pump and timing belt!
                      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                        210 quid for a few hours work????

Gotta get me a bigger workshop!
                        Vince if I lived any closer to Wales I'd be banging on your workshop door cos I'm sure you would be a lot quicker and therefore less costly than the garages around where I live.

Spoggle

Comment

Working...
                        X