Quick question on Fording

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick question on Fording

A bog standard surf with no snorkel, body lift suspension lift on 31's what would be the safest depth to drive through water.

Incidently I haven't fitted my axle breathers yet either.

Churs.
    Tequilla - breakfast of heros.

Safest? 0ft

Maximum, probably keep the headlamps out of the water, and drive slowly!
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Cheers fella so not much deeper than this then?

Comment

Another 8" to 10" on that if you are careful.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
          Another 8" to 10" on that if you are careful.
          Been watching the weather for the last couple of days here and apparently Stratford is sunny today. Suprisingly the foot deep pool of water in the carpark and the fact that it hasn't stopped raining since 10am doesn't give me much hope that the local fords around here will be passible in anything short of an arc.

Comment

If you pull the hose from the air intake that currently pulls in air from behind the passenger side headlamp and turn it around to face the rear of the engine bay that will give you a bit more leeway

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Boots View Post
              Been watching the weather for the last couple of days here and apparently Stratford is sunny today. Suprisingly the foot deep pool of water in the carpark and the fact that it hasn't stopped raining since 10am doesn't give me much hope that the local fords around here will be passible in anything short of an arc.
              Funny that. Just down the road in Malvern, its been clear and cool for most of the day, and we haven't had serious rain in a few days.

Comment

Originally posted by biosurf View Post
                If you pull the hose from the air intake that currently pulls in air from behind the passenger side headlamp and turn it around to face the rear of the engine bay that will give you a bit more leeway
                I've had a quick look at this it won't cause any issues with dragging air in from around the engine bay if I do this?

How much leeway extra would it give me?

Comment

Quite a bit of leeway actually, as well as raising it because its so much farther back it will make a big difference, particularlyy if you manage to drive through at such a rate to maintain a bow wave in front of your surf without driving through it.

Having said that sucking water in is really bad news so do err very very much on the side of caution and look towards getting yorself a snorkel asap- gives you that warm peace of mind glow as the water goes up to windscreen level

Comment

Quite a bit of leeway actually, as well as raising it because its so much farther back it will make a big difference, particularlyy if you manage to drive through at such a rate to maintain a bow wave in front of your surf without driving through it.

Having said that sucking water in is really bad news so do err very very much on the side of caution and look towards getting yorself a snorkel asap- gives you that warm peace of mind glow as the water goes up to windscreen level

Don't cross any fast flowing rivers/streams/fords that are more than headlight height because snorkel or not, you will be swept away.

Comment

Yeh take it real easy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok8s8...october/page3/

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                        Don't cross any fast flowing rivers/streams/fords that are more than headlight height because snorkel or not, you will be swept away.
                        You mean like this Vince. http://www.scottishmudclub.com/2008/...october/page1/

Comment

Originally posted by Cant Get Right View Post
                          disclaimer:
                          Please ignore the fact that Chris was recovered by a Landrover. I'm sure he was just letting the owner do this to feel better about his choice of vehicle. Chris is nice like that!

Comment

disclaimer:
                            Please ignore the fact that Chris was recovered by a Landrover. I'm sure he was just letting the owner do this to feel better about his choice of vehicle. Chris is nice like that!

Someone gotta make them feel good, later that day me and two suzuki's had to rescue him

Comment

Some people find it difficult to believe that a two ton car will float, but look at this way The QE2 weighs 70,000 tons and it floats !!

Comment

Working...
                              X