Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackpoolsparks View Post
    Heres why i asked.
    Last year I drove up to Drumclog in a pretty bad snow storm. Only one of the lanes on the motorway way driveable as the other two were snow bound. I used the middle lane to pass, but no way was anyone using the outside lane.

That was in a standard Surf with street tyres and I did NOT use my 4 wheel drive as I wasnt sure.

I am going back to Drumclog in the next few weeks and may encounter similar conditions. My truck is now lifted way high and I run on MTs, so loads less traction.

So would you consider drifting snow loose enough to allow for slippage when in 4 W.D.
    Mind Im only talking 30 - 40 mph

Yes. As long as the road has snow or slush on it too.
    I did the the same as you a couple of years ago no problems.

Comment

I drove mine up a tarmac road on a steep mountain with very tight turns in low 4 - was the only way I could get the revs up enough to move it. I know you are all going to say 'you shouldn't do that' but I'd tried everything else an was goin nowhere. Seems to be fine.
      How can I be lost when I've got no where to go

Comment

Thats when manual hubs are handy. You can use the low box without driving the front wheels.
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Bibs View Post
          I drove mine up a tarmac road on a steep mountain with very tight turns in low 4 - was the only way I could get the revs up enough to move it. I know you are all going to say 'you shouldn't do that' but I'd tried everything else an was goin nowhere. Seems to be fine.
          That wouldnt be at the last Wales outing, would it?
          私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Originally posted by blackpoolsparks View Post
            That wouldnt be at the last Wales outing, would it?
            Ay - thats the one - wouldn't mind but it was my idea to go up there in the first place....
            Last edited by Bibs; 4 December 2008, 21:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
              Thats when manual hubs are handy. You can use the low box without driving the front wheels.
              Might be a plan then.

Comment

A relatively affordable, useful and easily undertaken modification. Save's your CV joints & boots, reputed to save fuel but I cant tell.
                Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

A relatively affordable, useful and easily undertaken modification. Save's your CV joints & boots, reputed to save fuel but I cant tell.
                  Might have a search round see what they are all about as I don't understand how they work.

Comment

I can get 2WD in Low, no manual hubs fitted.

Have selectable 2WD/4WD in both high & low ratio

Very easy mod takes 2-3 mins on a 2.4
                    My other cars a QUAD
                    (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
                    http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

L4: Use this for maximum power and traction. Use L4 for climbing or descendingsteep hills, offroad driving and hard pulling in mud sand or deep snow.

Just found this in a link for info - wasn't wrong after all.

an now I have found this

# Why can't I use 4x4 mode all the time or on the roads?
                      # There's drive to both axles and the front and rear axles have different turning circles. On hard/dry surfaces like tarmac there's no give on the road surface so you'll end up with windup on the transmission which can destroy it.
                      Permanent 4WD vehicles like Range Rovers have a differential in the transfer case to allow it to slip as you turn in circles. The Surf is not intended as a permanent 4WD vehicle.

Jeeeyz - that'll teach me to read it all.

Comment

Working...
                      X