Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buying tips

Hi All,

I am looking to buy my first surf, after driving a friends 3.0TD ssrx mk11 version, i now want one.
    My question is, is it worth going for the later Mk111 version which are more expensive, or stick to a good mk11?
    Also as i live in the London area i am concerned about the low emission zone.My friends surf is classed as a light utility vehicle on his log book and will not be emissions compliant from 2010. Others i have seen are classed as estate cars and are not effected. Has anyone any knowledge of this, and also can the vehicles be re-registered or classification details changed over to a car status?

Thanks

Mauro

this may help....

http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/faq.htm
    ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

The 2nd generation is fine really, but the 3rd is a little bit more refined and can be driven in 4wd on the road. Kind of a matter of choice though. They have the same engine and do pretty much the same things well.

As for the LEZ, surfs should be down as cars and should be exempt. Just a cock up on the part of the DVLA and I imagine it could be put right eventually, after a lot of arguing.

Comment

ah a subject i know well before you buy the surf you fancy check the reg in vehicle compliance check [cant get onto site at moment]
        or make sure your vehicle is classed an estate car, do not buy if its classed as 4x4 light utility,
        let my 2nd gen go for that reason
        good luck with your search
        Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
          The 2nd generation is fine really, but the 3rd is a little bit more refined and can be driven in 4wd on the road. Kind of a matter of choice though. They have the same engine and do pretty much the same things well.

As for the LEZ, surfs should be down as cars and should be exempt. Just a cock up on the part of the DVLA and I imagine it could be put right eventually, after a lot of arguing.
          Thought you could'nt drive either the 2nd or 3rd gen in 4wd on tarmac, not trying to correct you mate. It could be me that is totally wrong & if so i shall give myself a good telling off.
          If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

You CAN drive a 3rd gen on tarmac in 4wd. Cant imagine why you'd want to though - other than if you really really like visits to the pump.

To the OP I'd say go for a 3rd gen. 2nd gens are getting on a bit now, and 3rd gens are dirt cheap.
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

A 3.0L intercooled turd gen in any colour other than Baby Blue would be my choice if I didn't have and like my 2nd gen.
              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                You CAN drive a 3rd gen on tarmac in 4wd. Cant imagine why you'd want to though - other than if you really really like visits to the pump..
                You learn something new every day on here.
                sancho i apologize.
                Last edited by si tate; 4 December 2008, 18:03.
                If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

the hand book states that it is advisable to engage 4wd at least once a month to keep the mechanism in good working order however it also says that when in 4wd the speed should be kept down to 50 kph on tarmac roads also do not attempt the transfer over 100kph as it will not come in.

Comment

........and if you try and shift into reverse at 60mph, the engine will cut out!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                      ........and if you try and shift into reverse at 60mph, the engine will cut out!
                      Was it Slugman who discovered that nugget?

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                        Was it Slugman who discovered that nugget?

hehehe!! yeah, bluddie nutter!

Comment

Originally posted by joker?? View Post
                          ah a subject i know well before you buy the surf you fancy check the reg in vehicle compliance check [cant get onto site at moment]
                          or make sure your vehicle is classed an estate car, do not buy if its classed as 4x4 light utility,
                          let my 2nd gen go for that reason
                          good luck with your search

My friend has offered to sell it to me after xmas, good price, do you know if it could be re-classified as a car, how difficult? likely success? as it would be a shame to let her go in 2010 if i did buy and could not get it changed.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Mauro View Post
                            My friend has offered to sell it to me after xmas, good price, do you know if it could be re-classified as a car, how difficult? likely success? as it would be a shame to let her go in 2010 if i did buy and could not get it changed.

Thanks
                            u cant get the classification changed

Comment

Working...
                            X