I bottled it ......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I bottled it ......

I've been vacillating over tyres for some time now and yesterday I finally made the decision and went for the standard 265/70/16's

My reasoning is fairly simple:

1. I tow a fairly heavy caravan and don't want to lose any acceleration

2. My front suspension's about 1" down on standard and I'm too skint to replace anything at the moment

3. The 265/75/16's would just fit but it wouldn't take much for them to start rubbing

4. With three 16 year olds about to go to college I'm not going to have the dosh for the lift for at least 3 years

So what did I get ?

General Grabber AT2's and they really do look the dogs rear wheels !

Despite all the claims they're definitely noisier than the street tyres they replaced but it's not enough to take the smile off my face - next thing to do is test their handling and braking characteristics ....

PS
    £503 for a set of 5 inc balancing and tracking from Micheldever - unfortunately I didn't notice that they put the balance weights on the outside !

Last edited by Predictable Bob; 29 November 2008, 13:10.
    Life is too important to take seriously !

Originally posted by Predictable Bob View Post

I've been vacillating over tyres for some time now and yesterday I finally made the decision and went for the standard 265/70/16's

2. My front suspension's about 1" down on standard and I'm too skint to replace anything at the moment

3. The 265/75/16's would just fit but it wouldn't take much for them to start rubbing

4. With three 16 year olds about to go to college I'm not going to have the dosh for the lift for at least 3 years

So what did I get ?

Despite all the claims they're definitely noisier than the street tyres they replaced but it's not enough to take the smile off my face - next thing to do is test their handling and braking characteristics ....
    i have general grabbers on my surf and i am still over the moon with then must of had them on for at least 2 yrs and they are better than me off road so it'll be a long time before my off road driving skills will need better tyres and as soon as i can convince trina that the tyres on my trooper need changing thats Wat ill put on it and if you have seen the snaps you'll see that my surf is great at pulling things so a caravan no problem
    Last edited by steve s; 29 November 2008, 13:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Predictable Bob View Post

So what did I get ?

PS
      £503 for a set of 5 inc balancing and tracking from Micheldever - unfortunately I didn't notice that they put the balance weights on the outside !

Me thinks thou protesteth too much.
      Its like your title says - you bottled it. Its OK
      私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

To be honest mate if I did a lot of miles I wouldn't have changed to 33" muds. I can sense that I need to supply more power when I hit an incline and my mpg has dropped, not dramatically, but must be a couple of miles per gallon less.

Not complaining of course, I'm still very happy with what I have on, but perhaps not a sensible choice if you do a lot of road miles.
        'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

I get moaned at for offering sensible advice.

You made the right decision. Buy your tyres for the use your truck gets, not to impress 14 year olds
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
            I get moaned at for offering sensible advice.

You made the right decision. Buy your tyres for the use your truck gets, not to impress 14 year olds
            Not to mention 60 year old Farmers.
            私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Working...
            X