Gearbox/Transfer Case Breathers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox/Transfer Case Breathers

The 2" body lift is now complete and i thought I'd tackle the breathers, front and rear axle are also now complete but has anyone done the gearbox and transfer case breathers, from what i can tell they are pressed in the the case, the one on the gearbox (manual) is on the gear stick assembly and i could always drill it out and tap it to 1/4bsp or do i need to bother.

Has anyone done this mod and if so what did you do.
    Roy
    When ya stop having fun, Ya start getting old

Afraid not mate, there the ones i will get round to doing sometime, i assumed they screwed in like the others, they sound like bugga's to do then
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

The one on the gearbox wont be a problem, well if you have a range of BSP taps, that is, because you can remove it with the gear lever assembly but the one on the transfer box, which is only about 4" away is a different matter, that looks a pig to get to.

The good thing is that when i removed the one on the rear diff, it was totally caked up inside, i can't see how it could ever breath, so its a good job i did them, i think the next job will be to change the oil, I've still got 7.5 liters left over after an ebay experience, ordered 6 liters and didn't arrive so complained then they sent another lot and i got both Lot's delivered on the same day
      Roy

Comment

Yeah! diff oils about the only ones i have'nt changed, as for the breathers, i found the gearbox one, i'm sure it had the same tin cap on, may be different to a manual box, have'nt even tried to find the transfer box one

Comment

Yep i got the tin hat on mine, the only thing i cant find is the hexagonal bit to put the spanner on, thats why i am assuming its pressed in rather than screwed.

On min the transfer box one is about 4" back and towards the passenger side, you can see it through the hole in the floor.
          Roy

Comment

I think it's easyier to get at with the body lift, (gearbox) if you can lever the tin hat off can you not get a socket on there and feel about, or failing that can you get small hose on once the caps off, poke summat in there to make sure it's clear,

Comment

The body lift is done so its easy to get to, I'll give it another go tomorrow, i don't want to bodge a pipe on if i can help it, i would rather tap it out but i don't want to pull the cap off if i can't get the pipe fitting on.
              Roy

Comment

Let me know how you get on mate, i'll have a go at it when i've finished my sus stuff

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                  Let me know how you get on mate, i'll have a go at it when i've finished my sus stuff
                  Will do I'll post some pictures up when i find out what I'm doing.
                  Roy

Comment

I finally got around to fitting the gearbox and transfer case breathers and what a pain they were, they are not the 1/8 BSP threaded ones like on the differentials, they are presses in place, the manual gearbox one isn't to much of a problem as it can be taken out with the 4 bolts that hold in the gearstick, then you punch out the breather from the other side.

Then tap it out to 1/4BSP

You can then fit you pipe fitting

Refit as normal, to do the transfer case is a little different as you have to get the old breather out and you can't get to the back, what i did was to pull the cap off and tap out the bottom piece to M6 and insert a bolt and crow bar it out (slide hammer would be better if you have one) Then tap the hole out to 1/4BSP but put plenty of grease around the tap and keep removing and cleaning it, this will stop all the aluminum bits falling into the transfer case.

had to use a spanner as the tap wrench wouldn't fit

Fit your pipes and run up to the engine bay

Two pipes for the deferentials, one for the gearbox and the other is for the transfer case, i've just used the two vents/exhausts to keep it neat.

The one on the left is off the differential and the right is from the gearbox/transfer case
                    Last edited by roylittle0; 30 November 2008, 12:58.
                    Roy

Comment

Working...
                    X