An Uplifting Weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Uplifting Weekend

I'm planning my 2" body lift this weekend, I've got all the bits and ready to go, any pointers on the best way of doing things, where to jack the body, do i loosen all the fixing bolts before doing one side, do i fully tighten each side separately or wait until its all lifted and is it best to lift the gear stick before the body, etc, etc

Any pointers appreciated.
    Roy
    When ya stop having fun, Ya start getting old

Hi
    Look here http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...+lift+complete

Comment

based on my experience of doin it alone a couple of weeks ago, the things i missed, but wish i hadn't were:

Loosen the nuts on the UJ's on the steering column before commencing, I didn't n as a result my steering was jammed solid, now its recitified it makes a slightly nasty noise still occasionally.

I also didn't know to do anything with the radiator/fan cowling, so that also fouled, and was an arse to remove once lifted. Though i don't think this is relevant as you need to move the rad in a 2.4 anyway (mine's a 3.0)

Other than that i needed to do some angle grinding to the bumper brackets to make them fit, nothing major, just a bit time consuming.

otherwise, keep some plasters and a swear box handy for the inevitable skinned knuckles!

Martin
      Just trying to raise my postcount!

Comment

Originally posted by biosurf View Post
        Don't know how i missed this one, but thanks, it will help alot
        Roy

Comment

Originally posted by B16mts View Post
          based on my experience of doin it alone a couple of weeks ago, the things i missed, but wish i hadn't were:

Loosen the nuts on the UJ's on the steering column before commencing, I didn't n as a result my steering was jammed solid, now its recitified it makes a slightly nasty noise still occasionally.

I also didn't know to do anything with the radiator/fan cowling, so that also fouled, and was an arse to remove once lifted. Though i don't think this is relevant as you need to move the rad in a 2.4 anyway (mine's a 3.0)

Other than that i needed to do some angle grinding to the bumper brackets to make them fit, nothing major, just a bit time consuming.

otherwise, keep some plasters and a swear box handy for the inevitable skinned knuckles!

Martin
          Didn't refit the radiator cowl from when i did the cylinder head in anticipation for doing the lift, so that makes life easier for me, angle grinder is also at the ready, thanks for the tip on the steering, i was wondering about loosening everything first.
          Roy

Comment

I made a t piece to spread the load over the seam with a saw cut in the top section for the seam to sit in.

The biggest problem I found was trimming for the auto selector. I thought it a bit tight to get a grinder in there so used a dremel which I burnt out doing it. And I forgot to reconnect the gear selector light cable when putting the rim back so they don't light up anymore.

Good luck.

Wax on, wax off

Comment

Originally posted by Fordy View Post
              I made a t piece to spread the load over the seam with a saw cut in the top section for the seam to sit in.

The biggest problem I found was trimming for the auto selector. I thought it a bit tight to get a grinder in there so used a dremel which I burnt out doing it. And I forgot to reconnect the gear selector light cable when putting the rim back so they don't light up anymore.

Good luck.

Wow That looks good, I've got a manual so that wont be a problem for me, I'll make the wood my first job, i was wondering what to lift off, good idea.
              Roy

Comment

That's before
                Wax on, wax off

Comment

Originally posted by Fordy View Post
                  That's before
                  Must be the side steps that makes the difference then, mine looks so much lower.
                  Roy

Comment

Well i started at around 9.30 getting all the stuff ready and then got to work, its now 12.18 and i have just come in for my second cupa and the lift itself is done, all i need to do now is lower the radiator, fit the bumper and sort out the gear sticks, think these will take longer than the lift itself.
                    Roy

Comment

Good Going Mate, just take your time with the next bit and all will be well when finished

Comment

Yeah! good going, dam sight faster than me, (but i did have to stop and paint stuff)
                        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Coffee no 4, Bumper modified, painted and back on, all bolts torqued up gear stick extended (took two attempts to get the angle right), trim/seats back in, all that is left to do now is the radiator and cut out the firewall for the steering, then i need to find/make a grommet to go around the steering.
                          Roy

Comment

Well done, did you do it outside? bl00dy freezing! mind you i know their "well ard" up north, i was born up there and hence "well ard" but years of easy livin down here in the laid back sun drenched beutiful south have softened me up, so i do it in me garage
                            Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                              Well done, did you do it outside? bl00dy freezing! mind you i know their "well ard" up north, i was born up there and hence "well ard" but years of easy livin down here in the laid back sun drenched beutiful south have softened me up, so i do it in me garage
                              Oh yes i've been outside since 9.30 this morning, freezing my mutz off, didn't quite Finnish off all i wanted to today, still got the radiator to lower, cuz the neighbor came round with his head in his hands, and his girlfriend looking not to HP, he had tried to change the spark plugs on her Ford KAK and it had rusted away and snapped off (bearing in mind that it had a full service 8 months ago when she bought it) so i have spent the past 3 hours trying to get it out, in the meantime 2 others have snapped off flush with the head, we have tried, lots of penetrating fluid and screw extractors, even tried to turn it with the impact wrench, with no joy.

I have had to come in cuz i can't feel my feet, but he is still out there trying. Bless
                              Roy

Comment

Working...
                              X