Anyone here have fantail fish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here have fantail fish?

As the title says, does anyone on the forum keep fantail goldfish? We have a black fantail (called Brian) for about a month and it's become quite lathargic. Anyone have any ideas or can point me in the right way?
    Hold my beer and watch this

does the tank have water in? never now with mr chaos

Comment

Originally posted by captain_chaos View Post
      As the title says, does anyone on the forum keep fantail goldfish? We have a black fantail (called Brian) for about a month and it's become quite lathargic. Anyone have any ideas or can point me in the right way?
      Need to know a bit more. Is it in a tank,pond, have you changed the water was it the exact same temp did you use tap safe to kill the chlorine what are you feeding it how much how many times a day, is the water filtered, temp controlled, areiated?
      Steve
      monstercreations.org.uk

Comment

He's in a 21ltr tank, done water change last week. Always use tap-safe with everywater change. Feed him flakes, there is a pump and filter, no heater. The day before he got like this we bought two new fantials. There is also a danio in the tank too.

Comment

Originally posted by captain_chaos View Post
          He's in a 21ltr tank, done water change last week. Always use tap-safe with everywater change. Feed him flakes, there is a pump and filter, no heater. The day before he got like this we bought two new fantials. There is also a danio in the tank too.
          He could be suffering from stress they get stressed easy, because of the new additions. He could also be just sulking for the same reason. If he still has the same eating pattern he is probably sulking and will come round on his own. Just make sure he stays the right way up, or this will indicate a swimbladder problem. I am not an expert on goldfish but have a lake full of koi and also 85 koi fry that I am growing on in a 1000ltr tank. I know they are very susceptable (spelling) to tempreture change so keep them somewhere out of draughts. They also need lots of oxygen if you see them taking air from the surface get an air pump or move your filter so the water splashes back into the tank.
          monstercreations.org.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom 18 View Post
            He could be suffering from stress they get stressed easy, because of the new additions. He could also be just sulking for the same reason. If he still has the same eating pattern he is probably sulking and will come round on his own. Just make sure he stays the right way up, or this will indicate a swimbladder problem. I am not an expert on goldfish but have a lake full of koi and also 85 koi fry that I am growing on in a 1000ltr tank. I know they are very susceptable (spelling) to tempreture change so keep them somewhere out of draughts. They also need lots of oxygen if you see them taking air from the surface get an air pump or move your filter so the water splashes back into the tank.
            He is eating, not as much as he used to, but he is eating. He's swimming the right way up. We had a 2 1/2 year old fantail (Ron) die last week with a swim bladder problem, was unable to keep upright. We isolated him and changed the main tank water, hoping it wouldn't be passed onto Brian. Thanks for the help.

Comment

I used to keep tropical fish dohis eyes look "bulgy" as this could be a disease called DROPSY. Look it up in any good fish keeping book or the internet

Hope this helps
              [SIZE=5]A bad days fishing is better than a good days work[/SIZE]

Comment

Also his scales will start to protrude making him look like a pine cone.
                monstercreations.org.uk

Comment

it sounds like he has internal parasites has he got long stringey poos or little red spots by his gills easy to treat do all the tank just in case

Comment

If you changed ALL the tank water then you may have killed the filters good bacteria, by adding the new fish the loading on the filter has increased also. If this is the case then stop feeding and do a 20% water change. Do not feed for at least a week and then only very little. Any debris or uneaten food needs to be removed and keep doing the changes until the filter bacteria have re-established themselves.
                    You can buy live bacteria cultures from good aquatic shops that will kick start your filters.
                    If you aint changed ALL the water then try reducing the feeding and 20% water change as the filters will probably be working overtime with the new fish, the nitrites, amonia, nitrate is what will be adding stress and allow desease to take over.

Comment

Do you know what kind of filter your using? is it undergravel or is it a little box in the corner with foam in it?

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom 18 View Post
                        Hey Steve will you be wanting to buy some more Koi next year as i am thinkinng of getting rid of my pond but am looking for good homes for the koi.I have got some nice big ones here that i have reared from 4"
                        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                          Hey Steve will you be wanting to buy some more Koi next year as i am thinkinng of getting rid of my pond but am looking for good homes for the koi.I have got some nice big ones here that i have reared from 4"
                          Not really Rich more looking like selling some of my young stock. Got plenty of parent stock some of them 30".
                          monstercreations.org.uk

Comment

Originally posted by BIG GENERAL View Post
                            it sounds like he has internal parasites has he got long stringey poos or little red spots by his gills easy to treat do all the tank just in case
                            From what poo he produces, it's long stringy and white.

Originally posted by oneidadan View Post
                            Do you know what kind of filter your using? is it undergravel or is it a little box in the corner with foam in it?
                            Just a little box in the top of the tank with foam in it, there's also an air pipe attached to the oulet.

Last night, put some all purpose fish cure solution into the tank. He seemed to pep up a bit more

Comment

Working...
                            X