Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virgin Trouble!

No not what most of you are thinking!

I've had Telewest (now Virgin Media) broadband for around 3 years and never had an ounce of bother, until 3 nights ago.

First night, I phoned them up and they tried to blame my wireless set up, when I told them I also had a stand alone ethernet system they started the old 'turn the modem off at the mains....blah, blah blah! I explained that I had tried all that already, they then checked the modem and said everything was okay. 'Then why won't it connect', was my reply? They fannyed on a bit longer and I finally manged to get online but only via the ethernet connection.

Second night I could only get email but no web access.

3rd night I couldn't connect at all.

Then tonight I switched the system on and everything is back to normal, including wireless!

Did my system magically repair itself or do you think the problem was at their end (even though they said it wasn't)!
    'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

is this computery stuff ???

i was only troubled by a virgin once.............came out in a cold sweat
    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Their end, defo

Comment

Originally posted by oily View Post
        Their end, defo
        I thought that from day one. I wouldn't have minded so much if they had just told me there was a problem. What is annoying is that I tried various things on my system to rectify the problem.

Comment

we have had ours similar amount of time,ours used to be fed off tv box,it would occasionally not work,u get the "online"light flashing on the tv box,turn off reset most times fixed,but sometimes down to them,since we went up to vip thingy,20mb its been fine

Comment

them not you .I'm with virgin and they seem to be OK . try dealing with AOL every time you phone you have to wait about 15-20 Min's then a very long conversation with someone that doesn't speak English and knows nothing about computers then just as your about to become verbally abusive they put you on to an Irish call center were the prob is sorted in minuets we have broadband TV and phone with virgin and it costs less than AOL broadband

Comment

most "Help Desks" are the same so depending on the first two questions they ask me sets the level of contempt i start with them on.
              sliding scale.
              Show me where the trench is at or can i make one!

Comment

The wireless problem must be your side but the rest is down to them.

Comment

Scorpion,

Just out of interest, what level of Broadband have you got and how much are you paying for it?

I used to have TV, Phone and BB with Virgin but chucked the TV when they lost Sky1 and got a Sky subscription. I stuck with the VM phone & internet but was paying £18 pm for 2Mb service, which, although it worked OK, was bl**dy expensive plus £10pm for phone rental plus calls.

Dropped VM completely this summer. Now have a BT phone line (£11.75 line rental) but have transferred my calls and internet to Sky. I now get unlimited UK calls for £5 per month (excl 08 & 09 numbers) and 8Mb wireless broadband for £5 per month (although the BB is reduced to 6Mb as the line can't handle any more).

If you are still paying high fees to VM, tell them you want to leave. They'll be on to you like a shot to offer you a better deal, as they don't want to lose your custom.
                  Mike G

Comment

Im sure i read somewhere they will never admit its a problem their end ,due to the fact if they have down time they have to pay penalties if its more then 4 hours.

Iv just switched to sky bb,tv and phone and i get free bb .Phone is £5.00 a month and I get free calls after 6 and at weekends.
                    I still have to pay line rental to bt but i think its a much better deal for me. Bb is much faster than i had.

I had HD tv for my birthday from the missus so , thought i would change everything over at the same time . Its working out great so far !!!
                    I always work better wet .

Its why I became a plumber!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Leodis View Post
                      The wireless problem must be your side but the rest is down to them.
                      No wireless problem mate, never was. Never touched a thing my end and by Saturday everything was back to normal. So you tell me where the fault was?

Definitely their end I think!

Comment

Originally posted by Tallyman View Post
                        Scorpion,

Just out of interest, what level of Broadband have you got and how much are you paying for it?

If you are still paying high fees to VM, tell them you want to leave. They'll be on to you like a shot to offer you a better deal, as they don't want to lose your custom.
                        Already been down that route mate. I now have 10mb broadband, phone with filtered calls, and everything but the movies on the TV, (movie channels are a waste of time in my opinion). All in for £40 a month.

Comment

Working...
                        X