torsion bar job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• torsion bar job

trying to scour the site for some useful details or links for how to crank up my torsion bars. some links are now dead and others just don't quite say how to do it.

as you know from last week, i had a paddy when my 2 hour bodylift job, took 5 hours.

well today i'm fitting my +2" lift srpings from roughtrax. i've got some good info on how to do them, but could do with doing the torsion bars at the same time. or can i get away with not lifting the front on the same day if time gets tight?

anyway, how long should this job take? so that i can factor in my incompetance and multiply the given time by 2.5 to get the time its gonna take me.

cheers,

Martin
    Just trying to raise my postcount!

here you go Martin.Click on the bottom link of the 3
    http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/suspension.htm

It should take about 1 to 1.5 hors to do the springs max as long as you got spring compressors.
    The torsion bars should only take a very max 1 hour.I would only do them 1.5 inch tho if your not fitting freewheel hubs
    Last edited by stormforce; 30 October 2008, 10:22.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

You don't have to lift the front in the same day if you run out of time, mine had a 2" lift at the rear 4 years ago & I'm going to do the front shortly (with the help of Richard) so don't panic if you don't get time.

You can see from the picture that it doesn't look too bad with just the rear lifted.
      Attached Files
      I'm not a complete idiot.......

My kneecap was removed in 1981

Comment

Front lift is just a matter of taking weight off front wheels and tightening the torsion bar bolt (while holding the nut too)- 22mm i think. May be an idea to wd40 bolt before starting rear as i snapped one.

Comment

Replacing my rear springs with uprated ones this weekend, i hope it don't take much longer without spring compressors, or i could be in for a long day.
          Roy
          When ya stop having fun, Ya start getting old

Comment

i did it today without spring compressors. took about 2 1/2 hours in all. took me a while to figure out what order to do stuff in.

the only thing left is to do the torsion bars. might do that tomorrow.

i'm a little concerned though, as the rear axel seems to be pushed to the drivers side a bit now, i guess its due to the sway bar pushing it over (that was a pig to get back together!), is this normal?

plus the truck leans a little to the drivers side now, even though i'm sure i put the roughtrax springs on the correct way round. hopefully it settles down.

Martin

Comment

Originally posted by B16mts View Post
              the truck leans a little to the drivers side now
              Should make cornering a little better though and of course getting in and out.
              Roy

Comment

true!

whatever you do, do the drivers side first if you're fitting the roughtrax springs, cos it make the passenger side seem really easy! who needs spring compressors when you have a 4ft crow bar!

Martin

Comment

i did it today without spring compressors. took about 2 1/2 hours in all. took me a while to figure out what order to do stuff in.

the only thing left is to do the torsion bars. might do that tomorrow.

i'm a little concerned though, as the rear axel seems to be pushed to the drivers side a bit now, i guess its due to the sway bar pushing it over (that was a pig to get back together!), is this normal?

plus the truck leans a little to the drivers side now, even though i'm sure i put the roughtrax springs on the correct way round. hopefully it settles down.

Martin
                  You mean the panhard rod or lateral control rod as it's sometimes known.
                  The springs may settle a bit after a few days driving and the axel will centralise again, if it doesn't then an adjustable rod will be needed if it bothers you that much. Ask Steinensurf.

Comment

Originally posted by roylittle0 View Post
                    Replacing my rear springs with uprated ones this weekend, i hope it don't take much longer without spring compressors, or i could be in for a long day.
                    Pop into Machinemart. £20 for 3 spring compressers. Makes things easier.

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post
                      Pop into Machinemart. £20 for 3 spring compressers. Makes things easier.
                      I'm thinking of using some ratchet straps as I'm a tight git and would never use the spring compressors again, I've just had a clear out and don't want anymore stuff lying around, the only thing that bothers me is I've seen some one get there nose broke when the spring shot out and hit the bloke in the face, he shouldn't have been doing what he was doing but it makes you think twice.
                      Roy

Comment

you'd have to try ###### hard to get one of the surf springs to fly upwards, no matter what you did wrong!

i only lost abit of skin from one knuckle, and no blood at all, feels like i didn't do a proper job!

Martin

Comment

Originally posted by roylittle0 View Post
                          I'm thinking of using some ratchet straps as I'm a tight git and would never use the spring compressors again, I've just had a clear out and don't want anymore stuff lying around, the only thing that bothers me is I've seen some one get there nose broke when the spring shot out and hit the bloke in the face, he shouldn't have been doing what he was doing but it makes you think twice.
                          you'd have to try ###### hard to get one of the surf springs to fly upwards, no matter what you did wrong!

i only lost abit of skin from one knuckle, and no blood at all, feels like i didn't do a proper job!

Martin
                          If compressed the spring will bounce back. If your heads near it...

Either way, Clutter fine... Ebay them when your done. Its the correct way to do the job. Makes things easier aswell without having to wedge the rear axle down to get them out. Just compress and remove.

Your choice mate, If anything goes wrong at the very least your going to have brown trousers.

Comment

Working...
                          X