advice please from all C+E drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice please from all C+E drivers

want to do my c + e at some point in the nearish future (probably won't have funds til after christmas now though) and just wanted some practical advice.

the company i done my class c with does the c + e but in wagon and drags, not tractors and trailers. are there any downsides to learning like this?
    i was thinking even though possibly longer, the wagon and drag method for learning might not really get you accustomed enough to the way a tractor and trailer unit would handle, particularlly on manouveres.

any advice and opinions would be a great help. cheers.
    i swear, it was like that when i got here...

lgv

hi, dont reccomend wagon and drag, very hard to reverse, if you do go for lgv 1 make sure you have a 40ft tandem axle trailer better to reverse than short single axle, good luck

Comment

thanks for your input. i will find someone that tests with the tractor and trailer unit, i did think it would be better that way, especially since its more than likely that long term thats the sort of set up i would mostly be driving.
      cheers.
      i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

Originally posted by caney View Post
        hi, dont reccomend wagon and drag, very hard to reverse, if you do go for lgv 1 make sure you have a 40ft tandem axle trailer better to reverse than short single axle, good luck

Hey Logy....

I will have to argue the point caney makes.... (sorry caney )
        It does not really make a difference what u drive for your test...
        If u can drive you will pass regardless.

Wagon and drag is no harder to reverse than a 40ft trailer...
        It's different yes but not harder...

a tandem axle is no different than a shorter single axle.
        Some newer 40ft-ers now come with the rear axle turnable as well a pain to get used to but when u get it superb as u have a tiny turn circle..

I did my test for C+E in a wagon and drag and had no problems at the time..
        coming to think of it, I think it's probably better to learn as the backing turn circle is smaller...
        The same for the shorter single axle artic trailers (cityhoppers) I think they will be much easier to learn....

I have every license in the book (A, B, C, D and E after all)
        I drove road trains in Australia (3x 45ft @ 122 ton) so have driven a lot of different combinations so I think I have a slight idea what I am on about...

Good luck anyway with getting the license and do not scare away from wagon and drag as they are fine....

If u ever need to talk to someone bout it give me a buzz.... I'll pm my number after....
        Last edited by TobyJug; 28 October 2008, 22:42.
        One day at the time I guess..

Comment

a wagon and drag has a larger turning circle than a regular artic... even a 4 wheel rigid has a lager turn than an artic...

id imagine that the reverse on the test would be a bit tricky to start with a waggon and drag as you can't cross the line with the wheels and you need to give more of a turn...
          wouldn't bother if it's an A-frame drag... they're just impossible!!!

if you've got a 40ft trailer, you get an overhang of the headboard at the front... you gotta watch it on road signs and cars coming the other way when turning... it sticks out quite a long way on 45ft trailers!... you don't get that on a drag!

but anyway....
          try react in reading (swallowfield)... i passed first time with them, and i *think* TonyN did his C there too (but might have been big wheelers).
          Last edited by da SLUG man; 28 October 2008, 22:26.
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
          X