Some cheap mods ideas needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some cheap mods ideas needed.

Well my mate has finally mad maxed his 4x4 and now wants to go out and play in it.

Seeing as how Surf prices have pretty much bottomed out I think it's time I did a bit of modifying on mine to make it a bit more cabable off road.

It is still going to be my daily drive so So not sure body lift and suspension lift is the way forward. Bob tailing is also a no no.

I am running BFG ATs 31s at the moment which are pretty much only part worn so not keen on shelling out on a new set of off road boots.

Here is my thoughts.

Fit diff breathers
    Get some spots for my A Bar - any suggestions?
    Playing with the idea of fitting a snorkel
    Interested in rock sliders but have no idea where to get these from
    Would consider an upgrade on the suspension but would this increase ground clearance by much and improve off road perfomance?

Any other thoughts?

I think it is mostly going to used for green laning but the occassional pay and play day.
    Tequilla - breakfast of heros.

Surfenstein can make rock sliders for you. Details here:

http://www.outrageousoffroad.co.uk/

You can fit longer landcruiser springs and crank up the torsion bars for a poor-man's suspension lift to increase clearance.

If I wanted to go laning/off roading, I think a snorkel would be quite high up the list for peace of mind. They are pricey to buy, but there are plenty of good home-made examples on here somewhere.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=49664

Comment

How about some....

go faster stripes
      Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Originally posted by PDR View Post
        How about some....

go faster stripes

If i wanna go faster I will borrow the Mrs's drag racing VW beetle fella.

Comment

Lots of very cheap mods here:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/index.shtml#MODIFICATION$

Rob.

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
            Lots of very cheap mods here:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/index.shtml#MODIFICATION$

Rob.
            Wow cheers Rob that is excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Boots View Post
              Well my mate has finally mad maxed his 4x4 and now wants to go out and play in it.

Seeing as how Surf prices have pretty much bottomed out I think it's time I did a bit of modifying on mine to make it a bit more cabable off road.

It is still going to be my daily drive so So not sure body lift and suspension lift is the way forward. Bob tailing is also a no no.

I am running BFG ATs 31s at the moment which are pretty much only part worn so not keen on shelling out on a new set of off road boots.

Here is my thoughts.

Fit diff breathers
              Get some spots for my A Bar - any suggestions?
              Playing with the idea of fitting a snorkel
              Interested in rock sliders but have no idea where to get these from
              Would consider an upgrade on the suspension but would this increase ground clearance by much and improve off road perfomance?

Any other thoughts?

I think it is mostly going to used for green laning but the occassional pay and play day.
              To be honest. If your not keen on playing with the ride height an even then keeping 31" tyres, Then i'd say fit a diff locker.

Few hundred an the truck should handle almost anything thrown at it.

But then it kinda goes against the 'cheap' part of the post.

So, I'd get a set of free wheeling hubs. Then weld the front diff. I think its the planet gears inside that need fixing. £100ish an you'll have a locking differential.

Sorted. Chuck on some breathers, Sliders an a snorkel an away you go.

Comment

Fit a 1UZ-FE engine.

Comment

My surf is going together in a similar way to your plans. I wanted it to work well on the road as we plan to visit friends in Spain in it next year, doing a 2 week camping trip through France and Spain. I also wanted some improvement to it's off road ability as I planned to do some 'Atlas overland' type trips too.. Also recently discovered the fun of off road sites.

I settled on 31" General grabber AT's as any bigger would probably stress the 2.4, and affect fuel economy.

So far Ive done:

20% stronger rear springs with 1 1/4" spring spacers on rear.
                  Extended rear roll bar drop links.
                  Pro comp +2" gas shocks.(all round)
                  Panhard drop bracket.
                  Rear brake valve lift bracket.

On shelf to fit:

Uprated torsion bars
                  1" ball joint spacers
                  braided brake hoses
                  Extended diff breathers
                  Rear wheel carrier

Wanting:
                  Freewheel hubs
                  Wheel spacers
                  Drilled/grooved brake discs
                  Rock sliders
                  Rear recovery points

Basically the 31's and the mild lift puts the chassis about 2" over standard whilst remaining fairly standard in handling.

Rob.

Comment

Working...
                  X