Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air rifle

Can you recommend a good Air rifle?
    Is that right that you can know longer buy one second hand?
    Can one person sell to another?
    Live the dream.......

New has to be face to face. 2nd hand can be posted.
    to recommend one, we will need to know whats its for..
    (or you could have a look on www.airgunbbs.com.)
    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by madison View Post
      Can you recommend a good Air rifle?
      Is that right that you can know longer buy one second hand?
      Can one person sell to another?
      most gun shops will sell second hand air guns,yes you can sell from one person to another over 18 now i think.

Comment

For a good springer, I highly recommend a Weihrauch HW95k tuned by Sandwell Field Sports.

The Airgunbbs forum is the best place to ask for more info.

Comment

There is a place to shot near my house.
          I would need something powerful. I think something like a webley sorry about the spelling. Some one said it was a good one but could cost a lot new.
          So I was looking for second hand but I am not sure about the law.
          EBay is a no no.
          Live the dream.......

Comment

madison - first of all, if you are looking to own a gun, then you need to make it your business to know the law inside out, or you will come unstuck and be in a lot of bother (especially these days with idiots shooting people etc).

This 'place to shoot near your house'... is it your land? Or do you have permission from the landowner to shoot there?

If you have neither, then you will be committing armed tresspass by shooting there, something that I imagine isn't fun to be charged by the Police with.

Forget about power in relation to make. Just like cars, the brand has no relation to the power of a specific model.

Also, power is nothing without accuracy.

The UK legal limit for an air rifle is 12 ft lbs, most rifles should be able to get reasonably close to that.

What are you going to shoot?

The rifle I mentieded earlier is considered one of the best springers, and all spring rifles are better tuned. Tunning costs £60 plus postage from SFS, I can highly recommend them.

You are looking at spending about £200 for a worthwhile rifle, and maybe £60 and up for a scope.

I am sorry if I seem patronising, but I am not sure of your experence etc. TBH your best bet is to go along to an air rifle club - club members are usually more than happy to let new shooters have a go on their rifles, and you'll get bags of advice that is hard to get in the internet. Ask at http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/index.php? for where your nearest club is.
            Last edited by joecuba; 14 October 2008, 15:27.

Comment

i've got an old BSA thing in my garage.

use it to shoot crap in the garden, mainly apples off the trees.

seems fairly accurate and powerful, but you're never gonna go deer hunting with it!
              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

If you want a good reliable air rifle then it has to be an air arms s410 or the s310 precharged,both 22. Had both of them before i got my firearms certificate & were dead accurate up to about 50 yards & thats with no modifications, if you can, try and buy a divers bottle instead of a pump "HARD WORK WITH PUMP".
                Also use air arms pellets if you want consistancy.
                I can only offer my opinion on these 2 rifles which i owned for 4 years without a single fault & i used them twice a week.

good luck & happy hunting.
                If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

If you are looking for an air rifle my friend phoned me & asked if I knew anyone looking, its an Air Arms S200 .22 pre charged with a big scope, used to be mine exc little gun, shoots about 70 pellets on 1 charge.
                  Wants about £200
                  PM me if you need to know anymore.
                  Steve
                  Side mounts are the new top mounts !

Comment

There is a rifle range up the road and lets air guns as well us it.
                    But they are a bit stuck up.
                    I only have £150 in the piggy bank for a new toy at the moment.
                    Looks like I will have to save up a bit more.
                    Thank you for all your help.
                    Live the dream.......

Comment

I bought a 2nd hand .22 BSA Lightning with scope for £150 from a shop.

Comment

I know KOI was selling a decent air rifle a short time ago. Give him a shout he may still have it.

Comment

Originally posted by Webbo View Post
                          I know KOI was selling a decent air rifle a short time ago. Give him a shout he may still have it.

KOI
                          Live the dream.......

Comment

Uh.........

Comment

If you are on a budget then you would be better off going for a spring powered air rifle. There are plenty of good makes around (BSA, Air Arms etc.) and don’t dismiss some of the older models as they can be just as capable and accurate as any new rifle. Overall condition and looking for tell-tale signs that the rifle has been “got at” is probably more important than which brand / model you should go for.

Pre-charge rifles do have their advantages but you will end up having to pay more once you factor in dive bottles / pumps etc. Falcon make some really nice pre-charge rifles and at good prices. Theobens are very good but expensive.

Please remember that the maximum power limit is 12/ftlbs and that the police can confiscate and test any air-rifle (not on a firearms licence) that they suspect to be over the limit. They will test with a range of different pellet brands and weights and if it goes over you will be in trouble.

A lot of people try and set their air rifles as close as possible to the magic 12/ftlbs limit. I have owned a number of air rifles and my Dad has owned probably upwards of a thousand. He normally sets them in the low 11 point something ft/lbs. You would be hard pressed to tell the difference between a rifle set at 11 ft/lbs and one at 12 ft/lbs. In any case air rifles are designed to be low powered... certainly compared with some of the centre-fire rifles I own... just sold a dangerous game rifle that was putting out over 4,250 ft/lbs, now that’s what you call powerful!

Main thing is to think safety at all times, make sure you have permission to shoot on any land you use and enjoy the sport.
                              Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Working...
                              X