Burping the coolant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burping the coolant

What is the best way to burp to coolant, i cant seem to get all the air out, i've looked in the techmnical section but the page i am after is not there, need to get it sorted before tomorrow so looking for the best option.

I have seen people use coke bottles upside down with the top pipe going to one pipe and the bottom going to another then the engine is run to circulate the air out, any one point me in the right direction.
    Roy
    When ya stop having fun, Ya start getting old

http://forums.bauchan.org/portal/cad...tion=downloads

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/index.htm

check those matey
    am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Yep, already did, but nothing about burping, like i mentioned.
      Roy

Comment

Try this http://hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/showth...ight=air+bleed

Good Luck

There's always a Payback .... Ya won't never ever see it Comin tho !!!!
        Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by Diezel Weazel View Post
          Try this http://hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/showth...ight=air+bleed

Good Luck

There's always a Payback .... Ya won't never ever see it Comin tho !!!!
          No its not what i was after but i like it all the same, i think that i will be doing that mod shortly, cuz its a pig to bleed.
          Roy

Comment

is she runnin ok now tho?

Comment

Found this ..... http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...hlight=burping ....... but there was one with pictures on, it seems to have disappeared!
              Last edited by Scorpion; 12 October 2008, 18:24.
              'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Roy, if your heads ok now you should be perfectly ok to just fill as normal, run it up to temp (so the stat is open, and cap off) then top up as it goes down if it goes down, dont think you'll ever get all the air out without doing summat like matts done, but if the engines alright it should'nt affect the running, however if you can solder copper tube it's best to make up some "tee's" and fit em in the heater pipes at the highest point, i made two, (flow and return) and use some plastic bottles connected to both drain cocks,
                fill up from cold via the cap and when full refit the cap and start the motor, open both drain cocks and fill both bottles 1/2 full with coolant, you will see the coolant drop in one bottle and air bubbles enter the other, top up the one dropping till no more air is realeased in the other, leave running for a bit and then shut off the drain cocks and remove the hoses/bottles etc (without tipping whats left all over the engine)
                Did you remove the rear heater pipes and give em a good flush and the ones to the turbo, got a load of red gunky $hit from my rear heater, really blocked, even blew the mains hose off, i had to holt it on tight till the muck shot out, all over me
                Attached Files
                Last edited by POPEYE; 12 October 2008, 18:50.
                Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

its a bl00dy mission!!!
                  i was doing it for two hours once!!
                  Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpion View Post
                    Found this ..... http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...hlight=burping ....... but there was one with pictures on, it seems to have disappeared!
                    Yep thats the one i was after, cant find the one with pictures though, the link to it on the tech page does not work anymore. ill give it ago tomorrow,
                    Roy

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                      Roy, if your heads ok now you should be perfectly ok to just fill as normal, run it up to temp (so the stat is open, and cap off) then top up as it goes down if it goes down, dont think you'll ever get all the air out without doing summat like matts done, but if the engines alright it should'nt affect the running, however if you can solder copper tube it's best to make up some "tee's" and fit em in the heater pipes at the highest point, i made two, (flow and return) and use some plastic bottles connected to both drain cocks,
                      fill up from cold via the cap and when full refit the cap and start the motor, open both drain cocks and fill both bottles 1/2 full with coolant, you will see the coolant drop in one bottle and air bubbles enter the other, top up the one dropping till no more air is realeased in the other, leave running for a bit and then shut off the drain cocks and remove the hoses/bottles etc (without tipping whats left all over the engine)
                      Did you remove the rear heater pipes and give em a good flush and the ones to the turbo, got a load of red gunky $hit from my rear heater, really blocked, even blew the mains hose off, i had to holt it on tight till the muck shot out, all over me

All is fine when the car is on the drive, ran it for an hour , the only problem is that i get bubbles in the expansion tank once up to temp (its steam) but i don't get heat at the back blower and if i drive it i sometimes loose heat from the front heater/blower and temp rockets to red, i then have to stop and let it cool, if i rev the engine allot i can sometimes get the heater back on and the temp drops instantly, this to me indicates a air lock in the system somewhere, from what i can tell its on the heater blower return pipe in the engine bay.
                      Roy

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
                        is she runnin ok now tho?
                        Engine runs fine but i keep getting air locks that i cant clear
                        Roy

Comment

Originally posted by roylittle0 View Post
                          Engine runs fine but i keep getting air locks that i cant clear
                          i could be wrong but wasnt there a thread about leaving rap cap off over night?

Comment

have the front pointing up hill if you can and leave the rad cap off over night and that helps let any air escape.Leave the rad cap on the drivers seat so you don't forget to replace it when you wanna go out
                            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

i burped mine, with the rad cap AND thermostat off/out.
                              i left it parked uphill , as rich said, and in the morning got another litre of water in it. i ran it all day without the stat in and got ANOTHER litre of water in.
                              as popeye said, get the gunk out of the rear heater/turbo hoses, this helps the coolant filling so much.

good luck roy.
                              Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Working...
                              X